Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out of the blue... colour management on Windows 10 using AdobeRBG gamut displays  (Read 2971 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

I have run into a frustrating issue. I got some colours bad in most browsers although the images are exported in a properly tagged jpeg in sRGB.

My finding is that most browsers seem to ignore the display profile. That applies to Chrome and Microsoft's edge. With Firefox I can manually set the Display profile.

So what do I get?

- In Photohop, the intended colours.
- In Chrome, colours get supersaturated
- In Edge, colours get supersaturated
- In Firefox, colours are as intended

Now, I can switch my monitor to sRGB and recalibrate and that would probably solve my problem, but it would also spoil any advantage I may have of having a wide gamut display.

Hopefully, the enclosed screen dump shows the issue. Left is link in Chrome while Firefox is on the right.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

mlewis

Edge is not properly colour managed.  It understands the icc tags in images but assumes the display is sRGB which is why you get over-saturated images on wide gamut displays.  Colour management on Chrome tends to work and then get broken, then get fixed and work again, then stop working.  When it works it will respect the display profile.

The only web browser that you can use on Windows that is properly colour managed and has colour management that works consistently is Firefox (make sure the colour management mode is set to 1 instead of the default 2 so all untagged colours are assumed to be sRGB).

If you have a wide gamut display and use Windows then you have to use Firefox as your web browser if you want colour management.  That is precisely why I started using Firefox.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Thank you!

That is what I expected. Does the Firefox respect the "active display profile" or do we need to enter the proper path to the display profile?

Best regards
Erik

Edge is not properly colour managed.  It understands the icc tags in images but assumes the display is sRGB which is why you get over-saturated images on wide gamut displays.  Colour management on Chrome tends to work and then get broken, then get fixed and work again, then stop working.  When it works it will respect the display profile.

The only web browser that you can use on Windows that is properly colour managed and has colour management that works consistently is Firefox (make sure the colour management mode is set to 1 instead of the default 2 so all untagged colours are assumed to be sRGB).

If you have a wide gamut display and use Windows then you have to use Firefox as your web browser if you want colour management.  That is precisely why I started using Firefox.
Erik Kaffehr

TonyW

Thank you!

That is what I expected. Does the Firefox respect the "active display profile" or do we need to enter the proper path to the display profile?

Best regards
Erik
Mine is an assumption but as the path to the display profile is listed in the gfx color management I have always had this set - no idea what happens if left blank

I have recently heard that the latest Windows update can lose the display profile and while I cannot confirm you may want to check that your system points to your profile?

peterwgallagher

Hi Erik,

The only color managed browsers at present are Safari and FireFox (my experience is the same as this:https://photographylife.com/is-your-browser-color-managed). Both respect embedded ICC profiles.

Internet Explorer and Edge have never, to my knowledge, respected the embedded color profiles of images. It’s a disgrace that this is still true in 2018. Microsoft started to use displays that can be calibrated to the wider Display P3 gamut only last year. So maybe they’ll upgrade the color compliance of their browsers too.

The story with Chrome seems more complicated. Chrome started as a fork of the first Safari rendering engine but did not keep up with color standards. Recent developments depend on the version of Chrome for each OS. See http://cameratico.com/guides/google-chrome-color-management/.

That story says WC3 recommends that in the absence of an ICC profile (or respect for a profile) the browser render the image using the full display gamut. If true, this seems to me to be the worst choice. But it would explain the supersaturation you see in Chrome.

TonyW

Colour management in Chrome (Version 66.0.3359.170 64-bit) appears to function correctly.  As does Opera v 52.

TBH unless there is a good reason I would stick to Firefox as already stated

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I have run into a frustrating issue. I got some colours bad in most browsers although the images are exported in a properly tagged jpeg in sRGB.
If the application isn't color managed, sRGB per se doesn't do you any good in terms of matching ICC aware applications with sRGB or any color space. Non color managed applications don't know what sRGB is, or the condition of your display.

sRGB urban legend & myths Part 2

In this 17 minute video, I'll discuss some more sRGB misinformation and cover:
When to use sRGB and what to expect on the web and mobile devices
How sRGB doesn't insure a visual match without color management, how to check
The downsides of an all sRGB workflow
sRGB's color gamut vs. "professional" output devices
The future of sRGB and wide gamut display technology
Photo print labs that demand sRGB for output

High resolution: http://digitaldog.net/files/sRGBMythsPart2.mp4
Low resolution on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyvVUL1gWVs

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

mlewis

Thank you!

Best regards
Erik
It should automatically pick whatever you have set as the default colour profile in the relevant Windows settings.  If you want to use a different profile this is when you would manually specify the path.
Pages: [1]   Go Up