Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are you ready for your close-up?  (Read 2091 times)

Rob C

Are you ready for your close-up?
« on: May 13, 2018, 06:10:28 am »

I have to agree 100%: French PHOTO was the best photography magazine I ever bought on a regular basis. Their editors just had the knack of finding the best of what was going down in the world of fashion and photographic ideas.

They started a US version, I think by taking over an existing title - was it Modern Photography? Maybe not.

For a while, both were available in Spain, and gave rise to some giggles: they both made annual lists of the hundred most influential photographers in the world. Lo and behold, the lists were not exactly identical! Surprise, surprise!

Ah, that marketing; makes fibbers of us all!

;-)

Telecaster

Re: Are you ready for your close-up?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 03:49:53 pm »

Rob, I think the American version is American Photo:)  The two are quite different in content these days, though.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 05:32:16 pm »

Rob, I think the American version is American Photo:)  The two are quite different in content these days, though.

-Dave-

No, I referred to the title I think they bought and then converted into American PHOTO. If Modern Photography still exists as a separate working title, I must be mistaken.

I haven't seen a copy of either the US or the French magazine around in ages. I still have several French ones left, though, romantic old soul that I am. The fate of the US version seemed to be that it rapidly became an advertising vehicle for travel companies and sponsored workshops travel. Hardly what the French editors were all about! But as long as it made Daniel Filipacchi richer yet...

One very good section of the French one was where they listed books and good photo websites. The Filipacchi fashion mag connection was clearly why the French version of PHOTO had such access to the world of fashion shooters, models and amazing photography.

zomg

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 04:50:58 am »

Last week, Fujifilm has announced the addition of the 18/45mm Macro Extension Tubes for the Fujifilm GFX 50S.

I consider this the beginning of a new era for macro photography, as it is now possible for the first time to shoot 1:1 and beyond on a mirrorless medium format camera.

So that's what it takes to start a new era — just release a couple of overpriced extension tubes. ;D The author is undoubtedly a talented and experienced photographer, but sentences like this make the article look like an ad for Fuji. :)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 06:10:13 am »

Markus is a very passionate photographer.  He's one of the few that likes hardware that works for him.  He's also very artistic and a great fashion shooter. 
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 08:30:09 am »

Markus is a very passionate photographer.  He's one of the few that likes hardware that works for him.  He's also very artistic and a great fashion shooter.

This is all very true, Kevin, but it doesn't change the facts about the nakedness of the spiel.

;-)

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:48 pm »

If Modern Photography still exists as a separate working title, I must be mistaken.

Modern Photog merged with Popular Photog back in the 1980s, I think, keeping the name Popular Photography. That magazine stopped publishing around this time last year. American Photo is still around as a website but no longer as a print mag.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 02:45:03 pm »

Modern Photog merged with Popular Photog back in the 1980s, I think, keeping the name Popular Photography. That magazine stopped publishing around this time last year. American Photo is still around as a website but no longer as a print mag.

-Dave-

That's so sad, even if I stopped buying either version. I suppose it is the inevitable march of money from paper to tiny screen. As I mentioned somewhere else about Vogue, will a screened version ever offer the very visceral kick and smell (I exclude those pasted-in sachets of scents that some magazines accepted) of new print, especially if you expected to be looking at some of your own work therein.

I feel that such a lot of good stuff is going to disappear for ever. Progress, he said bitterly, into his beard.

DaveKennard

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 05:19:16 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why adding extension tubes would provide greater DoF than focusing the lens closer for a particular magnification?

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 04:00:48 am »

As DOF is supposed to be the same for any focal length of lens, at the same magnification and aperture, then I can only guess that it has something to do with the nominal aperture (as displayed by the lens) no longer being the effective aperture (but now smaller) because the extension tube robs the system of light... clear as volcanic mud, to be topìcal about it.

Kirk_C

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 09:47:29 pm »

This is all very true, Kevin, but it doesn't change the facts about the nakedness of the spiel.

;-)

I agree 100%. You can find his 'articles' on quite a number of sites all with a similar hardware emphasis, Godox being his most blatant endorsement.

On the millennial sites I expect to see his stuff because those sites are largely marketing tools. I am disappointed to see him here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up