Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is not 'Street' but a photograph of a street  (Read 6554 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Re: This is not 'Street' but a photograph of a street
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2018, 07:42:46 am »

Thanks Slobodan for reminding me just how effective scribbling on an image can be  ;)

So in my mind this is what I saw and photographed and IS the subject of the image and the only subject I was interested in, but as I said above, I obviously failed at doing this in any meaningful way, because most people didn't or couldn't see it.

But perhaps that then leads onto a deeper question, is that because what I saw only I could see through my view of the world, or is it because others could not see it because they were looking for something else and perhaps even before they looked at the image? Or perhaps they were looking for something that they wanted to see and that satisfied their own preconceptual tick boxes and so not really open to looking at what it actually is, so then only being able to comment on what it isn't?

...but yet again, who knows??

Dave
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:03:22 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 07:54:00 am »

Doesn't "sterile" sometimes convey a message on its own?  How do we determine what is "sterile" vs what is "minimalism?"  Sometimes I take photos with the intent to convey the desolation or a featureless quality of a place.  Is that still sterile?

Kent in SD

A valid answer would require seeing the picture. Chuck Kimmerle, once a poster here, is one of the very few "landscape" shooters who excites me a lot - or at all. Some of his work invokes the very sense that you write about.

In his case, I'd suggest it's a marriage of both eye, location and a photographic history of such themes. Not to be overlooked is his mastery of black/white processing.

Again, perhaps it's also the fact that it sits beautifully within a box of specific definition (for me).

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2018, 07:55:51 am »

Genres.

It all boils down to, say, country vs. jazz. The two camps are rarely capable of understanding each other.

I see jazz in Dave’s image. An interplay of different, differing, contrasting, yet harmonious musical motives (or lines, shapes, and forms in the visual sense).

Rob is apparently desperately looking for a country girl in the image, carrying an overflowing bucket of water on her head, wetting her blouse into transparency (pardon the pun). Or at least a country dog, wetting the street.

;)

First, you have to have music.

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2018, 08:23:10 am »

Genres.

It all boils down to, say, country vs. jazz. The two camps are rarely capable of understanding each other.

I see jazz in Dave’s image. An interplay of different, differing, contrasting, yet harmonious musical motives (or lines, shapes, and forms in the visual sense).

Rob is apparently desperately looking for a country girl in the image, carrying an overflowing bucket of water on her head, wetting her blouse into transparency (pardon the pun). Or at least a country dog, wetting the street.

;)

Okay then, here's a city girl playing country girl, and you have to take my guess for it that the background contained an arch. No, I saw no pissing pooch - the jet is from a fountain - but plenty of open, human mouths.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2018, 08:55:34 am »

Your timing was great on that one, Rob. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2018, 08:59:08 am »

Okay then, here's a city girl playing country girl...

Rob, my misanthropy has one, perhaps fatal, exception: beautiful women  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 09:18:07 am »

Me too, too bloody true!

I have survived the fatal part mainly due to extremely good fortune. There is no armour known to man to ward off the dedicated power of the honey trap. Wait! Age does help somewhat, as do regular, heavy doses of beta blocker. Ironically, those are the stages in life when such traps are very rare indeed, and probably sought more than actively avoided. As with everything, there are exceptions, of course.

;-)

guido

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2018, 06:36:03 pm »

Nice image Dave. Well seen!

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2018, 07:48:04 pm »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2018, 04:53:14 am »

Yup, they're so attracted to a curmudgeonly misanthrope that it's a problem to shake 'em all off.

;-) 

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2018, 06:22:58 am »

Yup, they're so attracted to a curmudgeonly misanthrope that it's a problem to shake 'em all off.

;-)

Keith, you have had me laughing and tittering at the above comment for about an hour now, so well done you  ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Rob C

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:23 am »

;-)

Why would you want to?

I know, I know, such a distraction from real life and the important things we have to do...

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2018, 11:35:53 am »

;-) 

Trust me, Keith, the only missing ingredient is money 😉

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 09:08:08 am »

There are some nice elements in this image that are working together to create some potential -  not sure if it's enough to make a great image - but as part of a travelogue or series about a place yes certainly. The vertical "rectangular" window surrounds moving toward the "arched" door in center is a nice development and a good counterpoint. The center door is really great with its arched head and the contrasting stone masonry on either side - the differing stone applications is fantastic.. Add to it the nice smooth arches (voussoirs) above are a good counterpoint to the aforementioned. Generally the wonderful variation of stonework is the strong point in an "architectural" loc like this - maybe you got some shots of the arched door as well? Not sure how much post was involved here - but in the JPEG image the contrast between cool blue in the fg and warm golden color in bg is nice  - complementary colors - strenghthening the image in small a way. This could be amplified somewhat with some blend modes. One might crop off bottom and left to bring more focus to the door in bg as well. if I get moment I'll pm an example.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:14:06 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2018, 12:02:25 pm »

There are some nice elements in this image that are working together to create some potential -  not sure if it's enough to make a great image - but as part of a travelogue or series about a place yes certainly. The vertical "rectangular" window surrounds moving toward the "arched" door in center is a nice development and a good counterpoint. The center door is really great with its arched head and the contrasting stone masonry on either side - the differing stone applications is fantastic.. Add to it the nice smooth arches (voussoirs) above are a good counterpoint to the aforementioned. Generally the wonderful variation of stonework is the strong point in an "architectural" loc like this - maybe you got some shots of the arched door as well? Not sure how much post was involved here - but in the JPEG image the contrast between cool blue in the fg and warm golden color in bg is nice  - complementary colors - strenghthening the image in small a way. This could be amplified somewhat with some blend modes. One might crop off bottom and left to bring more focus to the door in bg as well. if I get moment I'll pm an example.

Thanks and I am so glad that you enjoyed the 'design' of the shot and as I said previously in a post above, that is all the shot was ever really about for me, so it is really good that you could see what I was looking at, so thanks again  ;)

Dave

BobDavid

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2018, 02:02:59 am »

wow

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2018, 04:28:06 pm »

wow

Thanks Bob, it's not that often I get a "wow" as a critique for one of my images, so I am really dead chuffed to get one from you now and especially for this particular image, after the drubbing it got from some of my fellow (tough crowd) photographers on here ;D

Dave
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up