Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profile creation: Making sense of i1 Profiler's perceptual settings  (Read 531 times)

huluvu

Fellow LuLas,

I recently swapped out my trusty Epson Stylus Pro 7880 for a more recent SureColor P800. Right now, I'm in the process of creating new profiles for my favorite paper types, starting with Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.

Hardware & settings used for profile creation:
-i1 Pro 2 Spectro
-i1iO table
-i1Profiler software
-Standard 2033 patches, individual patch size increased to 8,5x8,5mm
-Spot reading (3 times, averaged)

I took this opportunity to fiddle around with the settings i1Profiler offers for the "perceptual" intent of the profile. Since I'm using the German version of the software, I'm not 100% sure how the respective sliders are named in English, sorry.

So i1Profiler offers three presets:
-Custom (Contrast 0 / Saturation 0 / Neutralize grey 50)
-Vibrant (Contrast 40 / Saturation 40 / Neutralize grey 75)
-Saturation (Contrast 25 / Saturation 25 / Neutralize grey 25)

My findings:
Both "Vibrant" and "Saturation" presets don't do a good job at keeping the color separation intact on my test image (showing a red mascot with brightly lit fur). I think it's best to keep the "Saturation" slider at 0 to avoid colors bleeding into eachother and becoming a "flat" area.

I eventually settled with these settings, which looked best to me:
-My custom dream settings (Contrast 25 / Saturation 0 / Neutralize grey 25)

I attached all four ICC profiles I just created to this thread. Feel free to play around with them in LR or PS using Softproof view and share your findings!

P.S.: Information about the file naming convention used in the ICC files:
P800-Ilford-GoldFibreSilk-310g-PK-D50-M0-EPS = Vibrant
P800-Ilford-GoldFibreSilk-310g-PK-D50-M0-EPS-Saett = Saturation

huluvu

And profile variants 25 / 0 / 25 and 50 / 0 / 50 are attached to this post (due to file size restrictions):
Pages: [1]   Go Up