Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T2 firmware V 4.00 is now available.  (Read 8034 times)

rdonson

Fuji X-T2 firmware V 4.00 is now available.
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:41:39 pm »

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t2/features/page_09.html

I've downloaded and installed the update.  Everything going smoothly.  Looking forward to putting some of the new features through their paces.
Regards,
Ron

David S

Re: Fuji X-T2 firmware V 4.00 is now available.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:44:14 pm »

Upgrade went well.

Dave S

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:57:09 pm »

I think the change in exposure bracketing is new in this update, though sometimes it's hard to keep track.
Instead of having just  + and - bracketing, the ability to bracket just minus, or just plus and specify the number of steps is welcome. I've set my bracketing to 0, -2, -4.
You can go up to -3 in 1/3 stop increments.

The focus stacking will be useful for macro.
David

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:57:39 pm »

I think focus bracketing will also be boon for landscape photography as well. 
Regards,
Ron

MBehrens

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 08:28:16 pm »

My upgrade seems to have gone well.
Focus Bracketing is the most interest to me. Will need to figure out what the step values are. Suppose it will depend on FL and DOF. Not the Step value but which 1-10 to use. Landscape as well as Macro I agree. Will force me to use a tripod more, have gotten lazy in that respect.
Tried the larger EVF LCD info settings... do video folks like this? Didn't do anything for me. Turned it off right away.
PD AF updates are always welcome.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:03 am »

Step values are not defined.  The PDF simply says

• Focus proceeds from the starting position toward infinity.
• Small STEP values translate to small changes in focus, larger
values to larger changes.
• Regardless of the option chosen for FRAMES, shooting ends
when focus reaches infinity.

I foresee a fair amount of experimentation for both macro and landscape use.
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 10:28:29 pm »

I have tried some focus bracketing runs on a music stand placed so that the holes in the back run diagonally away. Set the lens at f2 so that it was obvious holes were both in focus and out of focus.  I have not got the bracketing settings sorted yet.  Has anyone had success?  If so, sharing of what to do would be very welcome!
Jonathan in UK

TommyWeir

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 03:00:18 am »

The exposure bracketing happened an update or two ago.

As I understand the focus bracketing, you focus on the nearest point you want in focus and the camera will commence taking shots, according to the step values, and focus further and further away until it reaches infinity.

Looking forward to using this for landscape.  Experimentation always welcome.

The larger display settings were not of interest to me.   I can see them being of use for LCD and a video shoot though.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 08:20:24 pm »

I've tried the focus bracketing but I've haven't honed the skills yet.

I've used it outdoors and it worked almost as I expected.

First I used my 16-55 at f/2.8 and 16mm for a wide spread
Frames = 9
Step = 5
Interval = 0

I focused on a close 8x8 post and wanted to see how much more of the back yard scene would be in focus.

I set up on a tripod and I also used the built in 2 sec timer rather than a shutter release

Given how wide the area in the photo was I didn't get everything in good focus.  I'd say that about 2/3 of the scene was in very good focus.  I will have to experiment more on frame count and step count until I've managed to get everything. 

The PDF Fuji provides for the v 4.0 firmware release indicates this is the first time for the focus bracketing on the X-T2.  Perhaps it was available for other Fuji cameras before this. 

P.S. it rattled off the 9 shots like a machine gun.  It might be worthwhile to see if the electronic shutter would be better in certain circumstances.

Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 10:35:48 am »

Thanks for this Ron.  I have tried it with the electronic shutter and the first time did not know it had taken all the shots!  I will have another session, and will try it to see how it works on a flower, perhaps taking more shots, select those that get all the flower in focus leaving the background out of focus and then merge those.
Jonathan in UK

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 06:24:06 am »

I have now had a chance to experiment with focus bracketing.  Attached is a processed image of an alium taken in my greenhouse to mitigate the effects of the breeze outside where the plant pot normally is.  Details are:
Fuji x_t2 with 90mm prime lens, auto focus set on nearest (central part)
Tripod used with camera set to 10 sec delay
f2, 1/850s no filters, spot metering
Bracketing settings 30 images, step 5, interval 0
The distance from front to furthest visible part at the edge is 8cm (3.2") and camera to flower head is 1.2m (4 ft)
On reviewing the 30 images, approximately the first 20 covered focus from nearest to furthest visible points
JPEG mages with Velvia in camera simulation used.
All 30 images processed in Helicon Focus, just doing load, render, save.
Output image cropped in Lightroom, no other adjustments.
Resulting image downsized in Photoshop Elements 15 to LL specs for uploading.

My opinion: OK for me, may try with Raws, and do some Lightroom adjustments.  Use of the focus bracketing function will require me to do more tests to get my head round how to judge optimum bracketing settings on the camera, but for me it does remove the need to manually adjust the focus point.  I think it is a useful addition to the firmware and I will use it.

If anyone else has tried it, I'd be grateful to hear about the experience.
Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 12:01:08 pm »

I found this YouTube video which was helpful although its not the holy grail of managing all the variables we might encounter with focus bracketing/stacking. 

I thought this might be useful for those of us just starting out in this endeavor.

https://youtu.be/BG82pWcnaSM
Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »

Thanks, Ron, for the link.  I used the electronic shutter, with the 10 sec delay before shooting.  I did not use manual exposure.  This did not matter as I set the interval to 0, not the 1 or 2 secs that the video recommends.  The whole sequence of 30 shots only took about 4 seconds, so was very quick and there was little opportunity for lighting change.  Helicon Focus is very easy and quick to use.  My main uncertainty that does not seem to be covered much in the video is how to set the two camera settings of frames and step to get an optimal sequence.  As I wrote, the 30 I took with a step of 5 gave more images than needed, only 20 were required.  This did not seem to matter as Helicon coped well.  It therefore is a matter of setting the number of frames and step to give enough images covering the required focus variation.  Too few will be no good, too many may not matter so much.  Perhaps it is a matter of practice.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

MBehrens

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2018, 03:18:12 pm »

Is anyone experiencing the display flicker that the update is going to resolve?
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-t2-bug-fix-firmware-coming/
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61121946

I'm not and tried some of the suspect settings.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2018, 09:55:19 am »

I have not seen this, nor either of the other two issues that Fuji is reporting.  (Well, I never convert raw files in camera or with Fujifilm X Raw Studio, so I shouldn't comment with respect to that one.)  While it works out the bugs, Fuji has released a roll-back patch that reverts the firmware to the 3.00 rev.

rdonson

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:18:16 am »

Thanks, Ron, for the link.  I used the electronic shutter, with the 10 sec delay before shooting.  I did not use manual exposure.  This did not matter as I set the interval to 0, not the 1 or 2 secs that the video recommends.  The whole sequence of 30 shots only took about 4 seconds, so was very quick and there was little opportunity for lighting change.  Helicon Focus is very easy and quick to use.  My main uncertainty that does not seem to be covered much in the video is how to set the two camera settings of frames and step to get an optimal sequence.  As I wrote, the 30 I took with a step of 5 gave more images than needed, only 20 were required.  This did not seem to matter as Helicon coped well.  It therefore is a matter of setting the number of frames and step to give enough images covering the required focus variation.  Too few will be no good, too many may not matter so much.  Perhaps it is a matter of practice.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Thanks for sharing your experiences, Jonathan!  When it stops raining here I'm going to do some more experimentation myself and the electronic shutter is definitely top of the list. 
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 10:20:00 am »

I've not experienced any of the issues with V 4.0
Regards,
Ron

JimGoshorn

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 11:12:28 am »

Fuji now has a 4.0.1 update which basically rolls the camera to v3.00 firmware according to FujiRumors. The issues with 4.00 are the following:

1. When RAW files, which were taken by X-T2 (before firmware ver.4.00), are converted in camera (ver.4.00) or by “FUJIFILM X RAW STUDIO”, they are not converted properly.
2. When pressing the shutter button halfway under certain conditions, the live view can flicker.
3. In rare cases, a hang-up can occur.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 11:58:58 am »

To me I don't convert in the camera or use X-Studio, and I have not seen the display flicker or the hang ups, so I am keeping the update and using it. I am sure that will get it fixed soon.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

MBehrens

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 01:44:18 pm »

yeah. I've decided to stick with V4.00 unless something crops up.
I don't use X-Raw Studio either.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up