Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2018 PC laptop  (Read 1635 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
2018 PC laptop
« on: May 08, 2018, 07:09:26 am »

Ive a need for a laptop, probably PC. to drive Moco slider and stuff.

But the value seems good and for $1000ish it seems I could get a machine I could edit from home, on location etc.

I wast thinking Dell. I know nothing of PCs and seem to have come up with..
-i7 processor
-6gb graphics card

I might want to run an external big (4k?) monitor I guess.

I only really use resolve..

-can I live without proRes
-what other specs should I look for
-any further comments

Thanks
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: 2018 PC laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 07:15:15 pm »

But the value seems good and for $1000ish it seems I could get a machine I could edit from home, on location etc.

-i7 processor
-6gb graphics card

-any further comments

Thanks

You might find that editing Long GOP codecs, especially at 4k that you can not get real time playback.  It will depend on your CPU.  If you can't get realtime playback from your camera originals you may need to transcode them to ProRes (plays back fine on a PC in Resolve) or a flavor of DNX4444 or DNXhd...

And in that case, you may find that you need a high speed input from an external drive or RAID.  In which case maybe you will need Thunderbolt on this laptop.

And if you try to edit from RAW or color grade from RAW, you might find the GPU insufficient.

So... First go to the Blackmagic website and check the hardware minimums for resolve.  Then, you might want to ask on the www.liftgammagain.com forum and/or the Davinci Resolve forum on the Blackmagic site to see if anyone has tried Resolve with the system you are considering.

Good luck!  Resolve is a bit more of a resource hog than FCPx or Adobe Premiere.

FWIW, I can run Resolve on my 2013 MacBook pro with a 4gb GPU in HD or 2k from ProRes4444 original over USB3.  I'm not sure I always get realtime playback though.  I don't think it will do realtime playback from a long GOP codec in 4k though.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

fredjeang2

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 03:34:21 am »

-i7 processor
-6gb graphics card

-any further comments

Thanks

Regarding Resolve on PC it does not writte Prores (read only) except if you have the full with their console but you can writte prores on windows cheap config you have to use an "illegal" solution here:  http://hdcinematics.com/ or a legal Scratch ecosystem. Hdcinematics works.
Or simply DNx

Warning: you can use PC under Linux but the hassle is that for example Mistika demands a particular Linux OS flavour so it becomes quite complicated. You need some expertise to set-up Linux. Avoid it.

Important on NVIDIA! Avoid QUADRO and perfer always GTX whatever budget involved.

Sascha Haber, is in the liftgammagain forum, and created a resolve test document downloadable to put on test the performances with Resolve.
http://www.carousel.hu/standardcandle/

Nota: 8k Red without the rocket on Lightworks can be played real time without looking crap cause it creates proxy that looks hd
(But aren't, it's parameterizable anyway) at the speed of light and makes the editing a breeze on any crap laptop. And you can switch on-off full res/proxy any time while working and even the full screen switch does look good very decent.
Your history is kept forever as long as you don't mess with drives so you can undo even 1 year later!! That's no joke.
The audio waveforms are loaded once for a while (no refresh whatsoever which is a real PITA)
And the editorial experience is way better in every aspects.
It is also fully integrated with Fusion (no roundtripping)
Then the roundtripping to Resolve for grading is just fine.

I personaly like the idea of an all-in-one Resolve but it requires
Power to perform as it should even for tasks that normaly would be acheived
easily in underpowered workstations with PP or Lightworks.
So the goodies of the all-in-one can easily become the hassles
If your workstation specs is a bit under recommended specs. There are 2 sides to the coin.
I may ad that the Lumetry color grading bundled in PP is working very well and
Not so ressource intensive.
Personaly I use splitted workflow 50% and 50% Resolve only depending but not stucked
With one workflow.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 05:29:26 pm by fredjeang2 »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »

Thanks for comments , I bought a mid spec dell for $1200, but not tried editing yet :)
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up