Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An ultra-wide for landscape: Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D reviewed  (Read 2898 times)

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES

For my Fine Art Landscape work, I find ultra-wide-angle lenses to be wonderful creative tools because of the different “view of the world” they provide: see in this Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D in-depth review my thoughts about this relatively new and promising addition to the ultra-wide pool, and about its place in a Fine Art Landscape photographer’s bag.

https://vieribottazzini.com/2018/05/venus-optics-laowa-12mm-f-2-8-zero-d-in-depth-review.html

Thank you for reading, best regards,

Vieri
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:43:10 am by Jeremy Roussak »
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: An ultra-wide for landscape: Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D reviewed
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 04:43:59 am »

Vieri, your link was defective. I have fixed it.

Jeremy

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:06:33 am »

Vieri, your link was defective. I have fixed it.

Jeremy

Whoops - sorry about that Jeremy, and thank you for fixing it, much appreciated! :)

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini

chez

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 10:50:30 am »

I’d add looking at the soon to be released 10-18 zoom from Laowa.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 01:59:23 pm »

The Voigtlander 12mm  f/5.6 III  (FE mount) never ceases to amaze me. Yes, it is a slow lens. But the optical performance is impressive: great micro contrast, virtually free of distortion, great color rendering, and extremely sharp at f/5.6 and scary sharp at f/8. The lens communicates with Sony A7x II/III and A9 (exif data as well as enabling all 5 IBIS axes). The Voigtlander is a great landscape lens. Despite the widest aperture being f/5.6, I'd opt for it over the Laowa without a second thought.

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:08:54 am »

The Voigtlander 12mm  f/5.6 III  (FE mount) never ceases to amaze me. Yes, it is a slow lens. But the optical performance is impressive: great micro contrast, virtually free of distortion, great color rendering, and extremely sharp at f/5.6 and scary sharp at f/8. The lens communicates with Sony A7x II/III and A9 (exif data as well as enabling all 5 IBIS axes). The Voigtlander is a great landscape lens. Despite the widest aperture being f/5.6, I'd opt for it over the Laowa without a second thought.

Hello Bob,

the Voigt is great, I had it together with its twin brothers in 10mm and 15mm flavour - the Voigt 15mm has been my most used lens for the last year and a half, even though now I replaced it with the Leica 16-35mm Super-Vario-Elmar-SL which is simply amazing. I don't use Sony cameras, and had the Voigt in Leica M mount so I am used not to have any electronic communication between camera and lens. I think the optical formula is exactly the same, and (with my copies at leas) the Laowa is optically better - no questions about it - plus is faster, if that is important to you, and - fundamental for landscape use - you can filter it easily while the Voigt is a pain and either forces you to use 150mm filters (which I'd do anything to stay clear from) or use the badly manufactured Bombo adapter.

As always, horses for courses, but to me there is no doubt - the Laowa wins over the Voigt hands over.

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up