Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shaded areas in print preview  (Read 705 times)

jasonphoto01

Shaded areas in print preview
« on: May 07, 2018, 09:51:42 pm »

I just got in some 11x14 paper and I'm having some issues. When I setup my image to print with a small border it looks fine. Once i click "print" i get the window prompt saying some areas will be clipped. I then click on show printable area and the right side of my image is now shaded. What does that shaded area on my image represent? I'm afraid if i print the image like this it will have a much larger non-printed border on the right. My image is cropped to 11x14 and the custom paper size is 11x14. I've attached a few screenshots...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:59:11 pm by jasonphoto01 »

jasonphoto01

Re: Shaded areas in print preview
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 11:32:09 am »

...or any suggestions on video/website/blog tutorials related to the topic. Thank you!

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:56:00 am »

I just got in some 11x14 paper and I'm having some issues. When I setup my image to print with a small border it looks fine. Once i click "print" i get the window prompt saying some areas will be clipped. I then click on show printable area and the right side of my image is now shaded. What does that shaded area on my image represent? I'm afraid if i print the image like this it will have a much larger non-printed border on the right. My image is cropped to 11x14 and the custom paper size is 11x14. I've attached a few screenshots...

Your printer requires a larger border than you are providing.  In fact, it seems you have no border at all.  There is a minimum border necessary for your printer so you can't print 11x14 on 11x14 paper.  And you will find that the tailing end of the print requires a slightly larger border than the top and sides as the printer needs to hold on to the bottom to keep the paper from moving during the printing.

Check your page set up first to see the required borders for your printer.

Alternately, if you're using photoshop, select "center" for the print position, and in the print dialog box decrease the size of the print until you can fit it onto the page without clipping.  You can do this by changing the size (for example change 100% to 95% or so), or you can use the mouse to change the size of the print by grabbing the corner of the "Print" in the dialog box and dragging it until the image fits in the allowed printing area.

So, there is no need to add the border to your original file, just do this in the print dialog box.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 11:59:15 am »

...or any suggestions on video/website/blog tutorials related to the topic. Thank you!

Oh, I see you are using another software for printing. I'm guessing, under "alignment" change "none" to "center".  Then adjust the size of the print in the image size settings below that and see if that works.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 03:27:40 pm »

What does that shaded area on my image represent?
The shaded area is image area that is outside the printable area of the printer. This means the printer isn't capable of printing in those areas with the current settings, typical the begging and end of a sheet of paper.  Most roll printers can't handle borderless sheet printing.

You didn't say what printer you are using, as well as what your printer settings are. The printer settings have a lot to do with it.  For example some printers can print borderless, but you need to enable that option.  So either you need to find options in your printer that expands the area (usually an alternate paper size such as 11x14 (borderless), or understand the limitations and change the image size to fit within the printers limits.  sometimes there is a setting to expand the printing area (for example on an Epson, normally you can't print in the bottom .56 inches but there some of them have a settings to bypass that and allow printing to within .25", with a warning that the last .25" of the printed area might show some quality degradation.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up