Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A moment of clarity article  (Read 5388 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A moment of clarity article
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 07:06:58 pm »

.............. you could do worse that peruse the various arguments for and against Pictorialist ideas and methods, of which there is a tremendous and rich historical record.

No doubt, and I've read about as much of that stuff as I thought useful, which was very little. Either the photo moves me or it doesn't - a photograph has its own language, and if it needs pretentious schools of thought to expound on it, it fails.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2018, 04:00:28 am »

Is that from a cell phone Rob?

No, it took a 180mm lens to get it. (On D700.) All the shots were on 180mm because it was the only lens I had with me. I don't carry more than what's on the camera when I go out. If I did, I wouldn't shoot anything; limits clear and focus the mind.

Actually, and as passing interest, it could not have been done with a Leica Mono because all in the series went through a lot of colour channel tweaking when converting to b/white so that I could lose some areas and accentuate others, yet still leave a decent enough packet of pixies left on which to work.

It's perfectly possible that I'm using PS badly, but as I live in a technical vacuum and what I get works for me - why worry?

I think, having just written that, that it explains where you are going regarding the way today's "youth" might be working with mixing stills and motion: too young to know better and have fear, they just go on and do it, anyway. You know, like the bumblebee and flying.

Ciao-

Rob

fredjeang2

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 04:35:56 am »

No, it took a 180mm lens to get it. (On D700.) All the shots were on 180mm because it was the only lens I had with me. I don't carry more than what's on the camera when I go out. If I did, I wouldn't shoot anything; limits clear and focus the mind.

Actually, and as passing interest, it could not have been done with a Leica Mono because all in the series went through a lot of colour channel tweaking when converting to b/white so that I could lose some areas and accentuate others, yet still leave a decent enough packet of pixies left on which to work.

It's perfectly possible that I'm using PS badly, but as I live in a technical vacuum and what I get works for me - why worry?

I think, having just written that, that it explains where you are going regarding the way today's "youth" might be working with mixing stills and motion: too young to know better and have fear, they just go on and do it, anyway. You know, like the bumblebee and flying.

Ciao-

Rob
I was asking the question not because of the render but because
If my memory is correct, I heard you were(or had been) doing photos with cellphone
So I was wondering if you gave-up the Nikons.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 05:41:01 am »

I was asking the question not because of the render but because
If my memory is correct, I heard you were(or had been) doing photos with cellphone
So I was wondering if you gave-up the Nikons.

No Fred, just the opposite: I'd made a set of cellphone pictures of boats up on the hard at the local marina, getting snaps of the random paint and decay patterns that, I must say, were orignally inspired by images on Keith's website many years ago.

As the place is somewhere I walk most days after lunch - doctor's orders to walk at least an hour per day - I got to know the skipper of one of the yachts, and he was interested enough to check out the website. One day, he stopped me and said that they were interested in using one of the images as a blow-up in the salon, could I quote? I had to confess that being on the Samsung, there was no way I could give them what they wanted unless they were into cubism, too.

I learned my lesson. If it's worth shooting at all, then shoot it as best you can, because you never know who may be interested in your work.

I now use the cellphone for making notes of shop closing times, snaps to show plumbers etc. when I need spare parts for which I don't know the name or model-type. So yes, it's very useful, but not for everything.

;-(
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up