Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TS-E90 for testing  (Read 2132 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
TS-E90 for testing
« on: May 05, 2018, 10:15:07 am »

Those nice people at Canon UK have sent me a TS-E90mm to try out...

It means I can round off my reviews of all three new TS-E lenses (and I have an old TS-E90 to compare).

Most obvious immediate difference is the much bigger heavier new lens.

Anyway, if anyone has any specific questions, please do let me know?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: TS-E90 for testing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:57:49 am »

It means I can round off my reviews of all three new TS-E lenses (and I have an old TS-E90 to compare).

Hi Keith,

Looking forward towards your comparison. I (amongst several other TS-E lenses) also have the traditional TS-E 90mm.

I also often use the TS lenses without shift, just tilt, for panorama landscapes (which allows to prominently depict the foreground, while still retaining focus on distant backgrounds), with a multi-row RRS pano-head setup. The Traditional TS-E 90 mm is also pretty good at close-up or (with an extension ring) macro distances. Would be nice if you could look at close-up performance as well.

I also use (for my TS-E 24mm II) a different/deeper lens-hood (from a fixed 24mm lens), because with tilt alone the default lens-hood is somewhat under-dimensioned. Am wondering if there is also a deeper substitue that fits the new TS-E 90 without vignetting if only tilt is used.

Flair resistance as it is, is also important since these lenses can be used indoors with unavoidable light-sources shining directly into the lens, regardless of whether a lens-hood is used.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »

Did you post your test results anywhere? I am curious what you think about the new version....

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:40:30 pm »

Did you post your test results anywhere? I am curious what you think about the new version....

No, it turned up yesterday...

I was asking so as to get any questions now rather than after it had gone back ;-)

philbond87

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 05:47:17 pm »

Keith,

I'd like to know how the new 90 compares (optically) to the old one.
I suspect it will clearly be an improvement mechanically. (very pleased with the new 50).

Thanks,
Phil

one iota

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 06:42:25 pm »

Keith,

I suspect it will clearly be an improvement mechanically. (very pleased with the new 50).

Thanks,
Phil

Try the comparative image quality test here:

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=1166&Camera=453&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=349&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Mahn England

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 07:08:24 pm »

Keith,

Thanks,
Phil

Whilst I won't be doing 'proper' lens testing (I don't have the kit or the patience ;-) ) I've done several comparisons (it'll be a week or two until I get things written up).

Most obvious is the performance wide open. f/2.8 is more usable where you want to make use of the thin DOF. Even fully tilted (a bit more than the old one) the plane of focus is nicely sharp.

The vignetting is slightly less on the new lens, but the real feeling you get is just how much better the performance is right from the go. Virtually no CA and better contrast. Pretty good for flare as well

My only complaint, and it's a complaint about all three new TS-E lenses is that the lens focus rotation throw is inadequate. My pet irritation is the compressed range of rotation in focussing from say 3m to infinity. Makes for tricky manual focus without a lot of magnification on live view at wider apertures.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2018, 05:27:48 am »

The differences are quite clear at f/2.8 and closer.

Both these (5Ds) shots are at the TS-E90 minimum focus (so around 0.3x)

By f/8 the differences are much less, but still there

Rado

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2018, 04:13:32 pm »

Keith re: focus throw - is it the same as on the old lens or better/worse?

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2018, 04:28:20 pm »

Keith re: focus throw - is it the same as on the old lens or better/worse?

Worse ;-)

"My only complaint, and it's a complaint about all three new TS-E lenses, is that the lens focus rotation throw is inadequate. My pet irritation is the compressed range of rotation in focussing from say 3m to infinity. Makes for tricky manual focus without a lot of magnification on live view at wider apertures."

Compare the two images at the top of the thread and you can see the ∞ end.

My suspicion is that they added the Macro and didn't expand the throw
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:31:23 pm by keithcooper »

Rado

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 05:45:03 pm »

Oh wow, what's wrong with you, Canon?

But at least I'm now not tempted to upgrade my 45&90mm oldies so thanks for reporting :-)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 06:22:24 pm »

Oh wow, what's wrong with you, Canon?

But at least I'm now not tempted to upgrade my 45&90mm oldies so thanks for reporting :-)

Having now tested all three of the new lenses, this is absolutely my -only- complaint and for my day to day use a relatively small one.
That said, I can see situations where it would be more annoying.

If I used the 45/90 for much (paying) work I'd seriously consider the new ones for the fairly obvious improvements in IQ, especially when tilted. The 135 is very nice too.

I'll be keeping my original TS-E90mm for purely financial reasons I'm afraid :-(

Rado

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 08:12:53 pm »

Yeah if those lenses meant paid work for me I'd budget for the new version, but they don't. I got them for fun and fairly cheap used. The 90mm is a very nice portrait lens and extreme sharpness isn't always desirable there.

philbond87

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 08:36:53 pm »

Whilst I won't be doing 'proper' lens testing (I don't have the kit or the patience ;-) ) I've done several comparisons (it'll be a week or two until I get things written up).

Most obvious is the performance wide open. f/2.8 is more usable where you want to make use of the thin DOF. Even fully tilted (a bit more than the old one) the plane of focus is nicely sharp.

The vignetting is slightly less on the new lens, but the real feeling you get is just how much better the performance is right from the go. Virtually no CA and better contrast. Pretty good for flare as well

My only complaint, and it's a complaint about all three new TS-E lenses is that the lens focus rotation throw is inadequate. My pet irritation is the compressed range of rotation in focussing from say 3m to infinity. Makes for tricky manual focus without a lot of magnification on live view at wider apertures.

Thanks Keith.

My luck in getting good copies of Canon lenses has been hit and miss – perhaps an 85% success rate... maybe a bit more. That having been said I do think I got a very good copy of the old 90TSE. If the IQ of the new one is better then it is certainly exceptional, as I find my old 90 to be extremely good. (I admit that I almost never shoot it wide open though.)

I agree with you about the short focus throw of the new lenses (if the new 50 is representative of the lot). The focus tension/friction is very nice, though, so I don't seem to have much issue with manual focusing.(At least with the 50.) Also, I'm using them on cameras with EFVs, so perhaps that makes a bit of a difference.

I recently sold my last Canon body so I'm now using all of my EF lenses on Fuji and Sony bodies. So although the 17TSE is much too wide for my taste, the 24 is still somewhat useful and the 50TSE plays like a comfortable 40mm or so on the GFX's 33x44mm sensor.

Thanks again Keith. Very helpful.

Cheers,
Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up