Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Philosopher's Garden  (Read 1012 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Philosopher's Garden
« on: May 05, 2018, 03:02:57 am »

Every year insane people travel to the end of the earth to battle with winds up to 120 km/h to photograph the majestic mountains of Patagonia. In some ways I found this to be one of the most challenging places to shoot in my life, but fortunately I gave myself plenty of time to connect with this place, explore, be patient, and capture moments. I've found inspiration through many of the greats of our time, and part of me wondered prior to going on this trip, what I could possibly add. The greats of our time travel here regularly, and now I know why.

This area is both vast, and small. I felt like I could explore it for months, maybe even years, and still not know all it's secrets, but I also felt like I could cover most of the ground in a day (and did so regularly), if I knew exactly where I wanted to be. It's a very accessible place, in one of the most remote parts of the world. I think this is the primary reason this place is so popular. Anyone flying into the area can see how vast and remote the Andes mountains are. There are unexplored places deep in the southwest of Chile & Argentina that have yet to be put on the map. For now, I was content to explore Fitz Roy, and Torres Del Paine.

This photograph required deep exploration, and special permits. It also required multiple trips up nearly 1000 meters of back country climbing, first to scout the location, then to come back under better conditions. I've never seen a shot from here before, perhaps because it requires sketchy river crossings, backcountry travel, expert navigation, night hiking, steep grades, traveling through thick woods, and perfect conditions. This shot was taken at sunset, and is a single shot taken at a fairly rapid shutter speed to capture the circling condor above. I had to stretch/clone out part of a hill to fix the overall composition, and it didn't come out perfect as it's a somewhat rapid edit. Exgif: f/8, iso64, 15mm, 1/160, nikon d850
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

alexk3954

Re: Philosopher's Garden
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 10:06:23 am »

Beautiful image! I really like the contrast of the warm tones in the plants and the cool of the mountains.  Excellent!

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 05:33:43 am »

Stunning.

francois

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:53:22 am »

Beautiful image and thank you for your trip report. Your efforts resulted in a stunning shot with these contrasting cold colors on the peaks and the warm tones of the foreground.

Thanks for sharing.
Francois

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 09:11:58 am »

The #1 place on my bucket list. Thanks for reminding me I haven't yet made it there.  :'(
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 02:19:08 pm »

This is one of those images that I really, really like and which makes me more than a little envious of not being there shooting this myself at the same time, but I also find myself liking the scene shown in the shot that much, that I would like to have seen even more of it through a much wider view, such as a small 2 or 3 shot vertically stitched pano or something.

So a really terrific shot, but one that also makes me wish I could see more of the scene through a little more width, not wider angle just more of the same if you know what I mean after using a short pano wide type of thing.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:44:03 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 07:49:04 pm »

but one that also makes me wish I could see more of the scene through a little more width...

I've got the full Pano stitch, but it ruins the comp... Being there and seeing it is great, but as a single image there is too much hill on the left, and blank hill on the right as the scene widens out. Takes away from what's right in front here...
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 08:09:39 am »

Surreal, in the best possible way.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 08:34:44 am »

A fine image. I can't add anything that hasn't been stated.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 10:19:27 am »

My compliments!
Pages: [1]   Go Up