Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Syncing Lightroom Classic CC on two machines?  (Read 2153 times)

dmward

Syncing Lightroom Classic CC on two machines?
« on: May 04, 2018, 03:41:55 pm »

Is it possible for Lightroom Classic CC to sync between two machines so that presets, develop settings, etc. are the same?

If not possible dynamically how can it be done manually? I presume it means copying and pasting various files. Which ones?

thanks,

smahn

Re: Syncing Lightroom Classic CC on two machines?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 03:56:13 pm »

One thing you might want to consider is keeping your catalog and library on an external drive that you swap between machines. I use a Samsung T5 2tb for this and it works quite well.

The only pitfall is that sometimes I have to reload a couple of the plugins I use, for instance Enfuse, Mogrify, etc. Not sure why that is, but it's pretty painless.

dmward

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:15:37 pm »

That's a thought. However, I thought that camera profiles and presets were in folders associated with the application.
I have multiple catalogs.

My main production catalogs I have on an SSD drive in the Thunderbolt chain.

When I start a job on location I start a new catalog on an external SSD drive with a second for image file backup.

The frustration is that when starting a new catalog on main editing machine all the camera profiles, metadata and develop presets are there ready to use.
Would like the same situation when using MBP on location.

ButchM

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:48:52 pm »

What I do so I have complete duplication from my main desktop workstation and my primary laptop for location work outside the office is I manually copy over the Lightroom folder located in: User/Library/Application Support/ Adobe/Lightroom and overwrite the same folder on the laptop. (where 'User' is your macOS username of course)

I make a point of creating all Import, Develop, Export, Print Package, watermarks, etc. presets on the desktop first, then duplicate to the laptop so there is no confusion.

Just make sure to restart Lightroom if it is running when you copy the folder over so it picks up the new settings.

The pathway I offered is of course for Mac OS ... but I am sure Windows has a similar setup where you could copy this over easily.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 12:26:15 am »

On the Mac, Presets can be found in the Library/Adobe/Lightroom.  That’s the system library folder not the user one.  Should be pretty straight forward to sync from there.  You might even be able to move the Lightroom folder to dropbox and then use an alias or a symbolic link in the Adobe folder on both machines, so syncing would be automatic.

I’m not sure where it’s stored on windows, but I’m sure you could accomplish the same thing if you are using windows.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 02:18:39 am »

You might even be able to move the Lightroom folder to dropbox and then use an alias or a symbolic link in the Adobe folder on both machines, so syncing would be automatic.

That's what I have done for 6-7 years.

It depends on not choosing the option to store presets with the individual catalogue. Also things are more complicated if you want different setups on different computers - eg if one screen is smaller, you might have fewer panels or be using Solo mode.

I’m not sure where it’s stored on windows, but I’m sure you could accomplish the same thing if you are using windows.

You can - see this post. The easy way to find the folder is by going into Preferences and on the Presets tab is a Show LR Presets Folder button.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:14:16 pm by john beardsworth »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 03:54:26 am »

On the Mac, Presets can be found in the Library/Adobe/Lightroom.  That’s the system library folder not the user one.  Should be pretty straight forward to sync from there.  You might even be able to move the Lightroom folder to dropbox and then use an alias or a symbolic link in the Adobe folder on both machines, so syncing would be automatic.

That's exactly what I do. It works very well.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up