Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spot healing brush fits  (Read 2675 times)

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Spot healing brush fits
« on: May 02, 2018, 05:32:25 pm »

Since the last PS update (or two?) the spot healing brush on my machine seems to have been altered with respect to how it works. If I start with the background layer only, it work fine. If I do a Ctrl-Shift-Alt-E, I can heal on the new layer. If I have adjustment layers, I cannot retouch the background layer at all; I would have to press Ctrl-Shift-Alt-E and retouch the new top layer of the stack. I have tried resetting Preferences and also reset the tool to no avail. My version of PS is as follows:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 19.1.3 20180323.r.293 2018/03/23: 1163761  x64

Has anyone else encountered this phenomenon? Any fixes?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
Re: Spot healing brush fits
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:54 pm »

Have you tried using that tool nondestructively, on blank layers (with "sample all layers" ticked)? It's good practice to do that in any case, but maybe it will solve this problem.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:06:45 pm »

Thanks, Peano. You know, coincidentally, I just discovered that if I added a new blank layer with exactly the setting you mentioned the problem goes away whether or not I have adjustment layers (none or several).

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:00:27 pm »

Thanks, Peano. You know, coincidentally, I just discovered that if I added a new blank layer with exactly the setting you mentioned the problem goes away whether or not I have adjustment layers (none or several).
As far as I can tell, the only problem with this is if you change any of the layers below, the spot healing modifications do not change with that.  No?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 08:42:08 pm »

As far as I can tell, the only problem with this is if you change any of the layers below, the spot healing modifications do not change with that.  No?
That's right. So always keep healing/cloning layers below adjustment layers like curves that affect color and luminosity.

smahn

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:56 am »

That's right. So always keep healing/cloning layers below adjustment layers like curves that affect color and luminosity.

To take it a step further regarding the spot healing brush set to sample all layers, you should really turn your adjustment layers off before use, otherwise you get a doubling effect of the adjustments. They really need a "current and below" option like they have for the stamp tool to avoid that pitfall.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 10:32:02 am »

To take it a step further regarding the spot healing brush set to sample all layers, you should really turn your adjustment layers off before use, otherwise you get a doubling effect of the adjustments.

I don't get that doubling effect with the spot healing brush, even when adjustment layers above the blank layer are turned on.

smahn

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 11:52:13 am »

I don't get that doubling effect with the spot healing brush, even when adjustment layers above the blank layer are turned on.

Here's a simple test.

Open an RGB image, flatten, desaturate, such that you have one grayscale layer in RGB.
Add a blank layer above.
Above that add a layer in color mode, fill with color and set the opacity to 50%.
Spot Heal on the blank layer.

You will see that the spot healing contains color from above and the effect of the color fill will be "doubled" in those areas.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:53:18 pm »

Here's a simple test.

Open an RGB image, flatten, desaturate, such that you have one grayscale layer in RGB.
Add a blank layer above.
Above that add a layer in color mode, fill with color and set the opacity to 50%.
Spot Heal on the blank layer.

You will see that the spot healing contains color from above and the effect of the color fill will be "doubled" in those areas.

A fill layer in color mode isn't an adjustment layer. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. Try this:

- blank layer above image layer
- hue/sat adjustment layer above the blank layer

In the hue/sat dialog, tick "Colorize" and crank up the saturation. Then spot heal on the blank layer. No doubling of the color effect. It still seems safe to say that if you spot heal on a blank layer below adjustment layers, you won't get any doubling effect.

smahn

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 03:37:21 pm »

A fill layer in color mode isn't an adjustment layer. I don't know why it makes a difference, but it does. Try this:

- blank layer above image layer
- hue/sat adjustment layer above the blank layer

In the hue/sat dialog, tick "Colorize" and crank up the saturation. Then spot heal on the blank layer. No doubling of the color effect. It still seems safe to say that if you spot heal on a blank layer below adjustment layers, you won't get any doubling effect.

Try it with a 50% gray softlight layer filled with noise. The noise will be transferred to the spot healing as well. Even just dodging burning on the softlight layer gets transferred.

So I suppose if you define what constitutes an adjustment layer narrowly enough it'll be "safe to say," but others may be interested to know that when things get wonky with the spot healing brush set to sample all layers, it may be helpful to turn off some of the layers above while using it, then turn them back on when done.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:03:30 pm by smahn »

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 05:28:20 pm »

So I suppose if you define what constitutes an adjustment layer narrowly enough ...

Adobe does the defining, right here in the adjustments panel. If you think the list is incomplete, take it up with Adobe.

smahn

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »

Adobe does the defining, right here in the adjustments panel. If you think the list is incomplete, take it up with Adobe.

You win the war of semantics, Peano. (And clearly any win is a good one).
But at least now when your spot healing goes wonky you'll know what to do.

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2018, 08:10:48 pm »

But at least now when your spot healing goes wonky you'll know what to do.
You're my hero. I don't know what I'd do without you.

smahn

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2018, 09:00:01 pm »

You're my hero. I don't know what I'd do without you.

Ouch!
Your sarcasm is crushing. Another win. Take a victory lap, dominance is yours!

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:49 pm »

You win the war of semantics, Peano.
Your sarcasm is crushing. Another win. Take a victory lap, dominance is yours!
Why are you talking about war and winning and victory and crushing and dominance? We're discussing technical details about Photoshop. Maybe you need to re-think your assumptions about what is at stake here. Or find a forum where Walter Mitty fantasies are appropriate.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 11:38:45 pm by Peano »

smahn

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 11:50:16 am »

Why are you talking about war and winning and victory and crushing and dominance? We're discussing technical details about Photoshop. Maybe you need to re-think your assumptions about what is at stake here. Or find a forum where Walter Mitty fantasies are appropriate.

Later, Peano. T'was fun. Peace.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 04:07:25 am »

David's question has been answered. The rest is bickering.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up