Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix Gap in Stitched Pano  (Read 1859 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Fix Gap in Stitched Pano
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:46:49 am »

I have a hand-held stitched pano that ended up with a ragged top edge, resulting in a gap in the sky.  Often I can fill smaller voids with cloning, but the sky has a subtle gradient, and cloning/patching sticks out like a sore thumb.  I suspect I might be able to use the gradient tool in PS, but have no experience with it.  Any ideas on how to fix a hole in the sky?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Fix Gap in Stitched Pano
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 11:18:10 am »

I have a hand-held stitched pano that ended up with a ragged top edge, resulting in a gap in the sky.  Often I can fill smaller voids with cloning, but the sky has a subtle gradient, and cloning/patching sticks out like a sore thumb.  I suspect I might be able to use the gradient tool in PS, but have no experience with it.  Any ideas on how to fix a hole in the sky?

Hi,

Have you tried "Healing" instead of Cloning?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:42:06 am »

Any ideas on how to fix a hole in the sky?
Not without seeing it. Can you show the problem, please?

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 11:43:44 am »

Content Aware Fill, perhaps.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:58:04 am »

The gap in the sky is in the top right corner.  Although it is cloudless, there is a tonal gradient in that area.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 12:07:58 pm »

Select around the area with the lasso tool. Then go to Edit, Fill and select content aware. Works like a charm, gradient or no, or other.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 12:47:38 pm »

Select around the area with the lasso tool. Then go to Edit, Fill and select content aware. Works like a charm, gradient or no, or other.

It's like a miracle!  There is a little bit of mottling of tone, but you could take it for a wispy cloud.  This technique allowed me to get more room at both  the top and bottom of the image, and the composition is much better.

There was one area on the left that kept filling in with a piece of the bridge rather than sky.  I planned to crop that area anyway, but how would I control that?

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 01:17:42 pm »

There was one area on the left that kept filling in with a piece of the bridge rather than sky.  I planned to crop that area anyway, but how would I control that?
Open a blank layer and paint over it with a large, soft brush. Use low brush opacity - about 20% - until that spot is covered.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:47:16 pm »

It's like a miracle!  There is a little bit of mottling of tone, but you could take it for a wispy cloud.  This technique allowed me to get more room at both  the top and bottom of the image, and the composition is much better.

Make a selection of the image that includes the blank area and the area  around it you would like Ps to use when filling but excluding the bridge and other areas you want it to avoid.  put that on its own layer, select the blank part then do content aware fill.  Make sure sample all layers is turned off.  Since the bridge isn’t on that layer, often CAF will do a better job in selecting what to use to fill in the blank. doesn’t always work but sometimes works really well.

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 12:17:18 am »

Another great tip.  Thanks so much.

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 01:59:19 pm »

If content aware fill doesn't do it you could also select & copy the upper left corner, flip it 180* and use that as a patch.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up