Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Need Advice: H4D-40 or Fuji GFX 50  (Read 15611 times)

rollsman44

Need Advice: H4D-40 or Fuji GFX 50
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:35 am »

I am pretty much retired and looking for something I can use for my Personal use.  I have these 2 cameras in mind and would just need a Portrait lens( which can be
  a Manual focus lens and a wide angle lens with AF( the Hassy 80.2.8) would work for me or a little wider. I don't need ISO Higher than 1600.  The price on both of these cameras are pretty much the same. The GFX is NEWER Technology and lighter in weight than the Hassy. I will use it primarily for Portraits and Group shots and very little Landscape.  Thank you  Dennis

Endeavour

Re: Need Advice: H4D-40 or Fuji GFX 50
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:01 am »

what about the X1d?

then potentially you could use H glass on it which you could keep, should you decide you wanted the H4D after all and sell the X1d?

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 10:45:56 am »

Too much money in comparison top the other 2

Endeavour

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 11:41:44 am »

new or used?
used, they seem to be price overlap

but I take your point
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:44:59 am by Endeavour »

pschefz

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 12:30:35 pm »

GFX is lighter, more compact, has a better sensor (IQ) , better glass, much better AF and faster overall handling, dont know what the H4D-40 goes for but if it is anywhere near the fuji price, this should be a no brainer.....unless you have to have a mirror....
if price is an issue, the A7RIII or 850 are pretty amazing and i would take them over the H4D-40 any day, but once you start adding up bodies and lenses, the difference to a GFX system is not that big....
schefz.com
artloch.com

tcdeveau

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 01:31:32 pm »

GFX all the way

I used an H4D-40 for years. While I loved it, the GFX is much more capable camera for your needs. Off the top of my head, it’s smaller, lighter, great lenses that are as expensive new as H lenses are used, better high ISO, movable focus point will go a long way for portrait and group shots, AF adapter with cheaper third party lenses, better AF, , etc etc etc

henrikfoto

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:40:25 pm »

GFX!!!!!!! 
I have used most of the Phase One and Hasselblad cameras, and gfx is much much better in most areas.
You will be very happy with it.
The new Fuji-lenses are amazing!!  Compared to the Hasselblad H lenses you will be surpriced how good they are. Better and good prices.

The 110 f.2 is one of the best lenses I have ever used!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 02:43:51 pm by henrikfoto »

Endeavour

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »

is the GFX supported in capture one?

if not, what's the workflow?

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 03:27:08 pm »

GFX!!!!!!! 
I have used most of the Phase One and Hasselblad cameras, and gfx is much much better in most areas.
The new Fuji-lenses are amazing!!  Compared to the Hasselblad H lenses you will be surpriced how good they are. Better and good prices.

Of course, Fuji manufactured lenses for Hassy, and sold them under its own brand name in Japan :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

rollsman44

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »

Thank you everyone. I know the GFX is the ONE.  I appreciate all the information you have posted.  Dennis

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 03:49:50 pm »

Hi,

Capture one only supports Team Phase One MFD backs.

Hasselblad owners have "Phocus" while the rest needs to use Lightroom or one of the many other raw developer options.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

henrikfoto

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2018, 03:53:54 pm »

Hi,

Capture one only supports Team Phase One MFD backs.

Hasselblad owners have "Phocus" while the rest needs to use Lightroom or one of the many other raw developer options.

Best regards
Erik

I was very concerned about loosing C1. After using it for some time, I think Lightroom is very good.
I don´t miss C1 at all anymore. Also Lightroom tethered with the gfx, try focus stacking. So easy😊😊

Henrik

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »

GFX!!!!!!! 
The new Fuji-lenses are amazing!!  Compared to the Hasselblad H lenses you will be surprised how good they are. Better and good prices.

I agree. After I tested the GFX, I sold all my HxD bodies and HC lenses (act quickly if you're thinking about doing the same -- I was amazed by how much I got for them, but I don't know if that's gonna last). Not only is the 110/2 spectacular, so is the 23/4. And the 32-64 is the best zoom I've ever used. The 120 macro is excellent, though I wish it went to 1:1. The 45 and the 63 are fine lenses, but not quite to the off-the-charts, sell-your-Otus level. I've said it before, and I'll say it here: there's absolutely nothing wrong with the GFX, but the best thing about the camera is the lenses.

Jim

henrikfoto

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 03:58:18 pm »

I agree. After I tested the GFX, I sold all my HxD bodies and HC lenses (act quickly if you're thinking about doing the same -- I was amazed by how much I got for them, but I don't know if that's gonna last). Not only is the 110/2 spectacular, so is the 23/4. And the 32-64 is the best zoom I've ever used. The 120 macro is excellent, though I wish it went to 1:1. The 45 and the 63 are fine lenses, but not quite to the off-the-charts, sell-your-Otus level. I've said it before, and I'll say it here: there's absolutely nothing wrong with the GFX, but the best thing about the camera is the lenses.

Jim

I agree about the macro. Very very good, but only 1/2. Do you think the new macro-rings will be good for getting closer? Or will we loose any image-quality when adding the rings?

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »

I agree about the macro. Very very good, but only 1/2. Do you think the new macro-rings will be good for getting closer? Or will we lose any image-quality when adding the rings?

I don't know the answer to either question, but I am surely interested.

Jim

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:58 pm »

Helpful flow chart below. Complete article here.

Endeavour

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:10 pm »

Thanks Doug, I am not sure 'helpful' is the right word ;)

besides, never say never

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 08:11:39 pm »

Helpful flow chart below. Complete article here.

Never say never again :)
When (if?) Phase withdraws from the general photo hardware field they will become much more platform agnostic :)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

pschefz

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 10:54:10 pm »

to be honest, the GFX LR tether solution is the most rock solid set up i have ever used....i have never been able to simply pull the cord, plug it right back in, save to card AND to computer, go back and forth between tether and not tethered so seamlessly....even more surprising since LR tethering was unusable with canon, nikon and everything else i have tried in the past....i guess it comes down to the fuji LR plug in....
i understand that C1 is C1 and LR is not, but i know more and more people who are using both nowadays and adobe is pushing hard....at this point i think both have advantages.....the latest update with the profile workflow is really nice.....
but then, i also really like LR CC (cloud) and hope to see tethering support there soon....
schefz.com
artloch.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 01:32:14 am »

Hi,

I guess that the new Fuji lenses are new designs and they are said to be developed for the 100 MP sensors. Many of the designs are quite complex and I would guess they have new glass that may have not been available when the H-series lenses were designed.

Best regards
Erik

GFX!!!!!!! 

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up