Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop layers question  (Read 4105 times)

brianrybolt

Re: Photoshop layers question
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 04:50:40 am »

Your link is not working.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:47 am »

Your link is not working.
sry, should work now.

brianrybolt

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2018, 10:53:12 am »

sry, should work now.

THANKS,  working fine.  It's a very good video about achieving the Orton Effect.  It's clear, concise and to the point.

Cheers,
Brian

Brad Smith

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20:50 am »

I have a video on a non-destructive modifiable method of Orton Effect, which additionally works best if you are using the raw files so I think the closest you can get to the original method using transparency film.

A Better Way to do the Orton Effect

edit: (sorry, link should work now).

This method seems to work well when the original RAW is opened as a smart object in Photoshop. However, I seem to be finding that if I arrive at the smart object by first flattening a tif file, and then converting it to a smart object, I cannot get the additionally required smart object layers (base and blur) to open in ACR for editing. Instead they open as PSB files without an ACR editing screen. Perhaps I am missing some key behavior of Photoshop? Win10 64 bit, latest Photoshop CC.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:29:14 am by Brad Smith »

Peano

• Radiant Pics
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2018, 10:14:36 pm »

if I arrive at the smart object by first flattening a tif file, and then converting it to a smart object, I cannot get the additionally required smart object layers (base and blur) to open in ACR for editing.

That's right. You have to open from ACR "as a smart object" in order to be able to reopen that layer in ACR or create new smart object layers that will open in ACR.

As an alternative, check these Russell Brown scripts:
http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts_archive.html

Search the page for "Edit layers in ACR". There are a couple of scripts, depending on what version of Photoshop you're using.

Brad Smith

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 08:39:47 am »

That's right. You have to open from ACR "as a smart object" in order to be able to reopen that layer in ACR or create new smart object layers that will open in ACR.

As an alternative, check these Russell Brown scripts:
http://www.russellbrown.com/scripts_archive.html

Search the page for "Edit layers in ACR". There are a couple of scripts, depending on what version of Photoshop you're using.

Thanks for your reply and for the Russell Brown scripts link. I am on Photoshop CC, so not sure if the CS5/6 scripts would work.

In the meantime, I have found that if I import my tif file back into Lightroom, I can then choose Edit in and Open as a Smart Object in Photoshop. The previously modified tif, now as a smart object, can be made into a new smart object via copy which can be edited in Camera Raw.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up