Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing Lightroom Catalog to CO 11 - Help Requested  (Read 1204 times)

John Davis

Importing Lightroom Catalog to CO 11 - Help Requested
« on: April 27, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »

Hi. I'm new to Capture One 11 Pro. I set up a separate catalog to import my Lightroom catalog into. When I did this I thought that the image files as well as the adjustments would be imported into a "managed" catalog. Now that it is complete it seems that the CO catalog does not include the image files but just points to them. Is there something I did wrong in the import LR catalog process? If not, is there a way that I can get the images into a managed situation? I have attached a screenshot of the library structure that I see in CO. I had set up collections in LR that exactly mimicked the folders where the original files existed. That can be seen in the folders section.
Thanks in advance.
John

IanSeward

Re: Importing Lightroom Catalog to CO 11 - Help Requested
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:12:40 pm »

Hi. I'm new to Capture One 11 Pro. I set up a separate catalog to import my Lightroom catalog into. When I did this I thought that the image files as well as the adjustments would be imported into a "managed" catalog. Now that it is complete it seems that the CO catalog does not include the image files but just points to them. Is there something I did wrong in the import LR catalog process? If not, is there a way that I can get the images into a managed situation? I have attached a screenshot of the library structure that I see in CO. I had set up collections in LR that exactly mimicked the folders where the original files existed. That can be seen in the folders section.
Thanks in advance.
John

What do you mean by "managed"?  You are describing the "normal" system used by LR and C1Pro whereby the files on your hard disk are not altered and the catalogues in LR / C1Pro maintain a "reference" to where they are stored.  I don't understand what you mean by setting up collections in LR to mimic where the files are on the disk.  In LR you just use the folders view to see the folder structure on your disk so there is no need to "mimic" the situation.  Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

Ian

John Davis

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:07:19 pm »

Sorry to be unclear. In CO 11 I have decided to let CO manage my originals as they are imported. When I did the "import LR catalog" CO left the files intact in their original folders by design. So according to CO support I will need to manually move them to "in catalog" then organize them from there.

IanSeward

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2018, 06:28:25 am »

Sorry to be unclear. In CO 11 I have decided to let CO manage my originals as they are imported. When I did the "import LR catalog" CO left the files intact in their original folders by design. So according to CO support I will need to manually move them to "in catalog" then organize them from there.

Although a managed structure is possible with C1Pro it is not the normal choice most people choose.  I have never used this option but as I understand it this moves your images within the C1Pro catalogue and everything is essentially in one place.  The obvious that the total number of images / total file size is limited by the hard disk capacity of the drive you are storing the catalogue on.  A common situation these days is to have a relatively small (256Gb) ssd C: drive for speed, where you store the catalogue, and image files on large spinners.

Can I ask why you want to go the "managed" route?  It is not a system that I normally recommend to anyone.

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up