Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Talking about lenses with Venus Optics (Laowa)  (Read 4070 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Talking about lenses with Venus Optics (Laowa)
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:38:04 am »

At the recent UK photography show I had a chat with the people from Venus Optics about their Laowa lenses - and followed up with their chief lens designer.

I've tested quite a few Laowa lenses over the last few years and have written up a short interview with some of their comments at:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/interview-with-venus-lens/

Perhaps not as detailed an interview as I might have liked, but translation does make it a bit tricky

It seems that they are going to be showing some cine lenses too, in the near future

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Talking about lenses with Venus Optics (Laowa)
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 09:24:47 am »

was hoping you would ask the EXIF question (lens electronics) and you did.  I'm underwhelmed by the answer from them though :(  At least they were honest.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:10:56 pm »

was hoping you would ask the EXIF question (lens electronics) and you did.  I'm underwhelmed by the answer from them though :(  At least they were honest.
Thanks - I'd love to have had a more detailed discussion, but they were very happy to discuss things and do have an interesting approach to what they'll develop.

Whilst I don't mind the lack of electronics, I guess that's because I've used their macro and wide angle lenses.

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:58:25 pm »

At the recent UK photography show I had a chat with the people from Venus Optics about their Laowa lenses - and followed up with their chief lens designer.

I've tested quite a few Laowa lenses over the last few years and have written up a short interview with some of their comments at:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/interview-with-venus-lens/

Perhaps not as detailed an interview as I might have liked, but translation does make it a bit tricky

It seems that they are going to be showing some cine lenses too, in the near future

Thanks for the link.

I'm quite impressed with their 9mm f/2.8 on my Fuji.  Thank goodness for zoomed view while using focus peaking.  The lens is well built and performs very well.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:44 am »

Thanks for the link.

I'm quite impressed with their 9mm f/2.8 on my Fuji.  Thank goodness for zoomed view while using focus peaking.  The lens is well built and performs very well.

Rand

I'm very interested in the 10-18 for my Sony landscape photography. If stopped down to f8 results in sharp corners, this lens will be a winner. It's size and weight are tiny.

Luis M. Anibarro

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 04:34:54 pm »

I'm very interested in the 10-18 for my Sony landscape photography. If stopped down to f8 results in sharp corners, this lens will be a winner. It's size and weight are tiny.

+1

Vieri Bottazzini

• WEBSITES
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 03:48:21 am »

Keith,

thank you for that, very interesting. I just reviewed the Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D and I have been pretty impressed with it (see VENUS OPTICS LAOWA 12MM F/2.8 ZERO-D IN-DEPTH REVIEW if interested).

Best regards,

Vieri
Vieri Bottazzini
Ambassador for Phase One, H&Y Filters & NYA-EVO
https://linktr.ee/vieribottazzini
Pages: [1]   Go Up