Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: San Rafael Swell/petroglyphs  (Read 1101 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
San Rafael Swell/petroglyphs
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:29:26 pm »

Want to do some Milky Way shots this June using some of the petroglyphs around the San Rafael Swell. Any places you have experienced that would make a good backdrop?
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re: San Rafael Swell/petroglyphs
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:10:12 pm »

I guess I’m having trouble visualizing how you could capture this, since the Milky way requires a pretty wide angle lens and the petroglyphs aren’t particularly large.  If you get close enough to see them in a photograph, not sure you can include a massive  milky way. 

Lots of formations (hoodoos, arches, buttes, etc) lend themselves to this type of work.  Petroglyphs and pictographs are all through the area, lots of resources to point them out and tell you how to get to them, I just can’t think of one I ‘ve shot that I could have included the milky way and still seen the petroglyph.  Some of the larger ones are usually in sort of a protected rock face, meaning you are sort of “under” the rock face when you get close enough to shoot them.

Good luck.

Pages: [1]   Go Up