Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon angle finder C: cannot focus at 2.5x mag  (Read 1202 times)

Bob_B

• It's all about light
    • Robert Belas Photography
Canon angle finder C: cannot focus at 2.5x mag
« on: April 25, 2018, 11:45:44 am »

I have a Canon Angle Finder C that comes in handy when shooting with my 7D (V1) whenever I'm shooting directly above a subject or close to the ground. I bought this finder used, and it is in excellent external condition (no blemishes, no dust or scratches), but for one issue: while I can focus effortlessly when the finder is on its 1.25x setting, I cannot focus the finder when set to 2.5x. This finder uses a simple screw-type barrel focus, and the magnifiers are simply rotated into position by a lever that moves a lens internal to the finder.

I have wondered why the 2.5x magnifier doesn't focus for two years, since first using this finder, so you can tell the lack of high mag focus doesn't bother me much, but it would be nice to understand what causes the lack of focus at the higher magnification, while the lower one works fine. Anyone have one of these 90 degree finders, and do you also have similar focusing problems at 2.5x? (FWIW: I suppose the simplest explanation is that the 2.5x mag lens is missing, but I don't think this is the case, as I can see both lenses as I move the mag lever from 1.25x to 2.5x. Also, I'm not thinking about shipping it back to Canon for a fix, as I don't feel it will be cost-effective.)

I welcome any ideas you may have. Thanks for your input.

Bob
Robert Belas Photography
www.belasphoto.com

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Re: Canon angle finder C: cannot focus at 2.5x mag
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 04:18:06 pm »

Did you check the diopter adjustment?

I had this similar issue with using one on my 1Ds, but like you I tended to use it mostly at 1.25x

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Canon angle finder C: cannot focus at 2.5x mag
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 04:47:04 pm »

The mag levels are not parfocal, ie you do have to refocus (quite a bit) when switching to 2.5x but I assume you have racked it from one end of focus to the other?.  I used one of these extensively with my 1Ds and 5D bodies when I shot Canon and mainly used 2.5x and it worked fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up