Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which version?  (Read 3318 times)

Richowens

Re: Which version?
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 03:49:44 pm »

Jeremy,

I think you nailed it, that is beautiful.

Rich

John R

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 09:21:49 pm »

The way I see it, these are two different aesthetics. The image processed by Jeremy is indeed well done, but conveys a different feel and atmosphere than Andre's version. Other than trying to bring down the light levels from the windows, Andre's initial images are just fine. They convey a wonderful soft light and ethereal quality. This is why it is important to find out what the maker is trying to accomplish and then try help him achieve that vision. It's neither right nor wrong, nor better or worse, just different. Anyone can punch up, or crop, or "improve" an image. What does the maker want, that's what matters.

JR

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 02:59:38 am »

Rich, thanks.

John, of course you're right. I've applied my aesthetic to Andres's image. Uninvited, that would have been impertinent.

Andres, what do you think? That's at least arguably what matters most.

Jeremy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:04:27 am by Jeremy Roussak »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 04:34:10 am »

Well  I am fascinated by the different approaches  on the photo, I was going for the softer look but I really like Jeremy's treatment since it recoup some of the detail lost in my version. I tend to go for the more gritty with more contrast approach so I wanted a different look, I was also trying quadtones and slight variations of B/W. I am still trying.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 04:36:47 am »

And with people also.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2018, 08:08:19 am »

You really got something with the priests!

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2018, 08:20:51 am »

+1

Multilayered story and symbols in that image
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

John R

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2018, 10:10:06 am »

+1

Yes, a great image Andres. This time I got your name right. I really like the BW image of the church. Love the bouncing soft ethereal light. I can see it is difficult to contain the ultra white/bright areas; and you may never be able to without fancy post processing.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2018, 10:48:51 am »

Quote from: opgr link=topic=124463.msg1041148-#msg1041148 date=1524918051
+1

Just the stuff Magnum used to do so well. Maybe it still does - haven't checked 'em out for quite a while.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2018, 11:34:03 am »

Well  I am fascinated by the different approaches  on the photo, I was going for the softer look but I really like Jeremy's treatment since it recoup some of the detail lost in my version. I tend to go for the more gritty with more contrast approach so I wanted a different look, I was also trying quadtones and slight variations of B/W. I am still trying.

Andres, I thought I remembered from some of your other stuff that you like a gritty, almost HDR look, so I wasn't embarrassed to have adopted it.

I love the new church shot: it's wonderfully ethereal (and would be destroyed by the contrasty look). The bolt, on the other hand, looks to me to be a bit flat.

Jeremy

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2018, 02:58:41 pm »

Rob

Thanks! I got a few photos but this one I liked the most.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2018, 02:59:44 pm »

+1

Thank you, this was one of the many pleasures of going to a small town outside Rome.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2018, 03:02:45 pm »

Yes, a great image Andres. This time I got your name right. I really like the BW image of the church. Love the bouncing soft ethereal light. I can see it is difficult to contain the ultra white/bright areas; and you may never be able to without fancy post processing.

JR
Yes the difference between the highlights and the shadows were a bit difficult, also the time frame was very short, they were doing me a favor let me in. Thanks!

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2018, 03:07:47 pm »

Andres, I thought I remembered from some of your other stuff that you like a gritty, almost HDR look, so I wasn't embarrassed to have adopted it.

I love the new church shot: it's wonderfully ethereal (and would be destroyed by the contrasty look). The bolt, on the other hand, looks to me to be a bit flat.

Jeremy
Thank you! I noticed you use Lightroom, I always jump to Photoshop because my knowledge of LightRoom is very limited, I do a small change and I get a copy of the file with a different ending. I just need to take the time to learn it. Would you apply a S curve on the door shot?

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2018, 03:12:34 pm »

I have been trying to get a different look on some of the photos , it works sometimes , sometimes I still revisited the images all the time trying to see if I could do something else.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 07:31:39 pm »

I like what Jeremy has done with it.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2018, 02:58:08 am »

Thank you! I noticed you use Lightroom, I always jump to Photoshop because my knowledge of LightRoom is very limited, I do a small change and I get a copy of the file with a different ending. I just need to take the time to learn it. Would you apply a S curve on the door shot?

Andres, I'd do the conversion to b&w using Silver Efex Pro. I paid for the set when Nik was still around and selling it; now it's free, from Google. I'm having some problems using it with the latest PS on a smart object, but other than that it works very well. I find it's seldom necessary to do anything more.

Jeremy

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2018, 03:43:20 am »

OK then - here's my bash at it. I tend to like quite high contrast, which might not be to everyone's taste. I used SFX Pro for the B&W conversion and I've used a little obfuscation and applied some warmth to the shadows using split tone in LR.

This is a pretty quick attempt. I like the image and think it could benefit from some more love.

Jeremy

I think the original colour version is the best so far.

Jeremy, To my task, you have overdone with the microcontrast, the nice and fragile incoming light looses all it's magic.

Ivo_B

• www.ivophoto.be
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:45 am »

I have been trying to get a different look on some of the photos , it works sometimes , sometimes I still revisited the images all the time trying to see if I could do something else.

Looks like Loretta Lux on urban decay. :-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up