Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using Lee Filter system with Hasselblad HC lenses  (Read 1565 times)

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
Anyone using Lee Filter system with Hasselblad HC lenses
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:27 pm »

Guys
I have a nice collection of Hasselblad HC lenses 50, 100, 150 (all 77mm filter thread) 300 and maybe a 28mm. I would like to have a Lee filter system (the square sliding GND type) that can be used with my 50,10, and 150 lenses............can someone please recommend what I need??

Neil

Joe Towner

Re: Anyone using Lee Filter system with Hasselblad HC lenses
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:59:37 am »

Any of the 4x4 systems work, but the Lee can be based around the wide angle hood.  You'll want the hood for any daylight scenes.

https://www.adorama.com/lewalh2s.html

Based on the Lee tool - http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/system-match - you'll want the wide angle 77mm ring for the 50mm, while the normal 77mm ring for the 100mm & 150mm.  The 300mm needs the 95mm ring.

The 28mm would throw this all out of wack - or at least mean a second system.  Due to the width, you'll be in the SW150 range and those 150mm filters seem to have gold threads in them.

Honestly I would pass on their 1/2/3 stop kits - it's not enough difference between them.  You'll want like a 3 stop hard, 3 stop grad, and 6 stop full ND.  Only go for a 10 stop ND if you like really puffy water, or have specific shots in mind.  The reverse grad filter helps with sunsets to a flat horizon.

In practical use, the full ND alone may be enough for your needs.  Bracketing multiple shots and layering them in port will almost be easier than trying to get the perfect placement for a grad ND.
t: @PNWMF

Neil Williams

• Neil's Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:13:44 am »

Hi Joe
Everything you say makes sense, I already have a 3 stop and 10 stop circular ND that works on all my current lenses except the HC300. I am quite proficient in PScc so bracketing works for me really well. I have used the 3 stop on my HC150n to enable me to shoot wide open in bright Asia sunlight and like you say the 10 stop for waterfalls and funky sky's

Thanks for helping me save a few quid

Neil

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 10:02:00 am »

A couple of more thoughts.  I have used the Lee system for years and find it to be a good system.  The only problem I have is the color cast.  I have been told their ProGlass is much better, but I haven’t tried it.  Their SW150 system is a lot of stuff to carry around but I use it since my primary lens is 105mm.  I don’t use graduated NDs and as I prefer to handle that in PS with additional exposures if necessary.  I recently started using the Heliopan NDs as they seem to have less color cast and it’s a lot less stuff to carry in the field.

Joe Towner

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 09:42:17 pm »

I've got the NISI 10 stop and love it.  The fun part is the 4x4 filters can work across different holders (though you need to confirm the thickness & may need the spacers).
t: @PNWMF

BAB

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 04:54:34 pm »

The 10 stop is not enough for bright daylight exposure times are too short you’ll need 16 stops. Glass filters nano coated are the way to go, as for the 28mm lens right now no filter holder it yet available to solve vignette issues. 3 companies are promising a 150mm x 180mm holder w built in polka but nothing available yet.
The 28mm HC lens will need a 105mm clearance.
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

rxchaos

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:08:14 pm »

With the Hasselblad's HCD 28mm and 24mm I use LinhofStudio's XXL filter holder.  It's a 2 slot holder on which you can use Lee 150mm filters. You'll need their donut ring to attach the filter holder to the lens barrel.  It's a solution that works well.  Here's a link to the product's page...
http://www.linhofstudio.com/products/The-LSL-XXL-Filter-Holder

To use the same filter holder on other lenses with filter threads smaller than 95mm I attach the LEE SW150 System Adapter to the XXL holder via an appropriate donut ring (also sold by Linhof Studio) and it mounts on the lens via adapter rings for the Lee 100mm system.

Pages: [1]   Go Up