Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting the Machair  (Read 1620 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Shooting the Machair
« on: April 21, 2018, 05:33:44 pm »

This is a shot of my local patch and is a place where I go to in the evening if I have nothing else to do and nowhere particular in mind, as it is only ten minutes away from where I live.

Machair described here

Dave

guido

Re: Shooting the Machair
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 09:08:49 pm »

Dave that is just lovely! The soft sweetness of that light is just great!

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 09:32:28 pm »

If you have that so close, why go anywhere else?
Beautiful!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 11:42:31 pm »

That’s some lovely light.

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 05:21:42 am »

Wonderful shot with perfect processing. 

This would look great as a large format panoramic print.  I have been experimenting recently with a number of my landscape images mostly uncropped 3:2 by cropping to various aspect ratios.  2:1 or 2.5:1 seems to work for most of my selected images.  I think prints in these ratios often look better than the uncropped image.

We do have so many great locations in Scotland.  I need to do more around my local area, Killin.

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 09:47:46 am »

Great composition allied to beautiful soft light. Ken

John R

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 11:13:44 am »

The land seems radiates out, just like the clouds. Wonderful.

JR

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 05:00:05 pm »

Thanks everyone and yes the light was pretty amazing (nothing beats a bit of golden hour side light does it?), but I thought the jet trail might have knocked a point or two off my score from you guys :D

I like to think I am quite good with PS and I can usually correct most little and even major niggles in a shot, but I have been unable to do anything with that jet trail, as the sky colour around it is so subtly graded in both light and colour, that there is no way I have found to remove it without it looking obvious. So it had to stay and I will have to live with it, and at least it is going in the right direction and aligns nicely with the clouds, but the pedant in me would really like to remove it, but I can't, aarrgghh  >:(

So there you go and which only goes to show, that I am more than happy to nitpick my own shots as well you know  ;)

Dave

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 06:16:58 pm »

... I have been unable to do anything with that jet trail...

This life is a veil of tears, especially when attempted to be squeezed into an image. Very fine anyway, and an interesting habitat.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 07:58:09 pm »

For this shot I used the Canon 16-35 2.8 original version, which I have owned for around 15 years and which when used with various cameras (including the 5D and 5DMkII), I soon became very reluctant to use it, as the CA and colour fringing when coupled with these cameras, was so bad that it kept ruining what would have otherwise been perfectly good shots, however I did use it occasionally for black and white work, as I could more easily hide its inherent problems. Then I bought an A7RII and after a couple of years of not using it on this system either and me occasionally looking at the lens sitting unloved and gathering dust in a corner (I even thought about selling it for not much money), but then one day I did try it out of curiosity and WOW!, the difference is simply amazing and it has now been transformed into a truly stellar lens IMHO. So I don't know if it is the better algorithms in CS6 ACR, or the uncompressed Sony RAW files that helped to all but remove these problems, or whether it is Sony's back illuminated sensor and the shallower photosite technology, or a bit of all three, but either way (and who cares), because this lens is now pretty much amazing and as such I have now totally fallen in love with it, after many, many years of snubbing it and thinking I had wasted my money.

Dave
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 08:04:44 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 05:04:48 am »

Beautiful.

Cornfield

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:15 am »

Dave, the jet trail can be easily removed using frequency separation in Photoshop.  This technique is used a lot in high-end fashion retouching where skin details and tone are extremely important and would show the slightest difference.  Lots of tutorials online for this.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 03:41:40 pm »

Dave, the jet trail can be easily removed using frequency separation in Photoshop.  This technique is used a lot in high-end fashion retouching where skin details and tone are extremely important and would show the slightest difference.  Lots of tutorials online for this.

Thanks for that, I used to occasionally use that technique many years ago to separate the colour from the detail etc, in fact I even created an action for it, but the idea had been lost somewhere in the back of my old cobwebbed mind and so I had totally forgotten all about it, so thanks for that and I will have to dig out my action and have a go with that.

I will post the result here and let you cast a critical eye over it to see how I have fared, but it will have to wait a week or two, as I am just about to go to Extremadura, which is in one of the more remote regions of Spain, to watch the annual bird migrations - my better half is an avid birdwatcher (twitchers they call them in the UK), but I am going for the old white Stucco style churches and buildings and intend to try and do a lot of high contrast mono work, with kids running through the streets and older veiled headed women looking through weather worn slatted window shutters, along narrow dusty streets, under the harsh midday sun - etc.

If only, but am I sure going to try  :D

Dave
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:50:11 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:46 pm »

I will post the result here and let you cast a critical eye over it to see how I have fared, but it will have to wait a week or two...

You know since having been away from this image for a few weeks and as I look at it again now, I really don't mind the jet trail at all, so I am going to leave it.

Dave

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 01:57:18 pm »

You know since having been away from this image for a few weeks and as I look at it again now, I really don't mind the jet trail at all, so I am going to leave it.

I'd agree with that approach. It's just another streak of cloud.

Jeremy

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 02:42:58 pm »

I'd agree with that approach. It's just another streak of cloud.

Yup. Fits right in.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up