Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony E to Canon EF Adapter selection  (Read 2079 times)

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
Sony E to Canon EF Adapter selection
« on: April 20, 2018, 05:25:05 am »

I am looking for an adapter for a Sony a7r iii (3) to Canon EF L lenses.

I have read all forum posts about the Metabones and all the other adapters.

I am wondering what is the current status on this with the new Sony A7R 3 and A9 cameras? Which one to use and which one to avoid?

Thanks so much!

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Sony E to Canon EF Adapter selection
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 02:33:19 pm »

Metabones and Sigma MC-11 are the only ones I would consider.  Here's a decent video on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FVCHHRD7Y8&t=6s

haring

• http://www.haringphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »

Many thanks!

ski542002

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 04:34:01 pm »

I've had stellar results with the Sigma adapter with A7RIII and A7III excepting with one lens.  The Canon 85 1.8 would not focus accurately at all.  My L lenses focus great EXCEPT, I just had a problem on a shoot a few days ago and I was going to start a new thread, but this is relevant...

I don't shoot sports & given that, up to this point the Canon optics with Sigma adapter has worked flawlessly.  Had the simplest of shoots. Static speakers handing out a few awards. A7III with Canon 70-200 F4 mounted.  6400 ISO 400th Sec @ F4. SINGLE SHOT advance on the A7III all snapped right into focus. IS was turned on the 70-200L and camera was rock steady.  I then tried a few shots on continuous slow advance AF.  Hit the focus button on camera body (I use back button AF to actuate), and the 70-200 F4 L shifted wildly out of focus and would not regain focus.  I had to rack the Canon lens back manually and this series of 7 shots was slightly out of focus after my manual focus attempt during the heat of shooting. WAS it the lens/adapter combo, OR was it shifting to continuous-slow advance the culprit?  Would the Sony 70-200 F4 without an adapter have nailed the focus? 

I'm loving my entry into the Sony system but this issue was very disconcerting as this was just a dumb-simple scenario that I never missed using AF with a 9 year old Canon body. Even shooting full manual focus lenses I would never miss-focus this kind of scenario.

I can't repeat this scenario to test but if I have any indication that it's the adapter, I'll find the $$ to buy the native-Sony F4 pro lens.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 08:08:15 pm »

I've had stellar results with the Sigma adapter with A7RIII and A7III excepting with one lens.  The Canon 85 1.8 would not focus accurately at all.  My L lenses focus great EXCEPT, I just had a problem on a shoot a few days ago and I was going to start a new thread, but this is relevant...

I don't shoot sports & given that, up to this point the Canon optics with Sigma adapter has worked flawlessly.  Had the simplest of shoots. Static speakers handing out a few awards. A7III with Canon 70-200 F4 mounted.  6400 ISO 400th Sec @ F4. SINGLE SHOT advance on the A7III all snapped right into focus. IS was turned on the 70-200L and camera was rock steady.  I then tried a few shots on continuous slow advance AF.  Hit the focus button on camera body (I use back button AF to actuate), and the 70-200 F4 L shifted wildly out of focus and would not regain focus.  I had to rack the Canon lens back manually and this series of 7 shots was slightly out of focus after my manual focus attempt during the heat of shooting. WAS it the lens/adapter combo, OR was it shifting to continuous-slow advance the culprit?  Would the Sony 70-200 F4 without an adapter have nailed the focus? 

I'm loving my entry into the Sony system but this issue was very disconcerting as this was just a dumb-simple scenario that I never missed using AF with a 9 year old Canon body. Even shooting full manual focus lenses I would never miss-focus this kind of scenario.

I can't repeat this scenario to test but if I have any indication that it's the adapter, I'll find the $$ to buy the native-Sony F4 pro lens.

Do realize that Canon lenses with Sigma converter are not officially supported by the Sigma adapter.  Yes many and even most of them work very well but the adapter is expressly specced to work with Sigma lenses only.

ski542002

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:20 am »

Yes, I'm aware that the Sigma is not "official".  My transition to the Sony was costly enough and having a few Canon lenses function "OK" in the interim will be fine.  The Sigma was approximately 1/3(?) the price of the other adapter and from my on-line research, the Metabones was no better. I just need to be aware of the shortcomings of the conflicts. Will be 100% Sony AF, and Voigtlander & Zeiss MF in short order!
Pages: [1]   Go Up