Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 645z shutter dead  (Read 2991 times)

Joe Towner

645z shutter dead
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:39:55 pm »

Yep, 75,414 shots later, made on 7/21/2014 my shutter just gave up the ghost.  Only been mine for 16 months, so not thrilled, but shouldn't be too bad.
t: @PNWMF

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
Re: 645z shutter dead
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 11:19:03 pm »

That's a bummer to hear, I know that pain. I blew through 2 shutters on my first 645D, got them both replaced under warranty. (Though it was a fight both times, and took a staggering amount of turn-around time with the main repair centre in Japan.) Ricoh/Pentax did redesign the shutter for the 645Z, thankfully, although that doesn't help anyone if it eventually does fail.

My Z was the first or second one in Western Canada, I think. I've shot the hell out of it and it has been a rock. (Save for multiple failures of the cable remote socket, which I eventually just stopped repairing.) I'm somewhere around 100K shutter actuations, a bit hard to tell because the service centre reset the count at least once, maybe twice. But I reckon it's still just a matter of time before I'm replacing my Z shutter too...

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2018, 07:42:22 pm »

Has to go to Precision Camera, cheapest it 'could be' is $800. Will post actual cost once I get it sent off & their estimate back.

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 08:26:12 am »

That's in line with the repair cost I was quoted for my 645D shutter assembly replacements.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 10:24:01 am »

Other than that, has the Z been satisfactory? Currently a lightly used Z is close to the price of a new Sony A7R(latest #) or Nikon D850.

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 11:44:23 am »

Other than that, has the Z been satisfactory? Currently a lightly used Z is close to the price of a new Sony A7R(latest #) or Nikon D850.

I can state the Z has been absolute blast, especially with the cost of glass compared to all other MF options.  LR/LA has one for sale for $3,750 with less than 20k on the shutter https://www.lensauthority.com/products/pentax-645z-medium-format-camera

My only concerns are revolving around the 100mp chip - I'm not sure the glass will hold up to that level, nor if Pentax has the interest in the update. I've put my 645z up a MegaMast for a higher perspective, taking it flying to get that iconic shot, taking it snowboarding without a bag. I haven't taken my CCD Hass out as much since I got the Z, different tools and such, but if I only could have 1, it'd be the Z.

Pages: [1]   Go Up