Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Published - Seeing Different  (Read 2113 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Article Published - Seeing Different
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:24 am »

How many of us have been frustrated when we go to iconic places and come home with the same images as thousands of other photographers before us?  I know I am and my friend Art Wolfe was too.  So on one of my photography workshops with him in Australia, he showed us how in the big landscape there are dozens of other smaller compositions waiting to be found.  Art and I were teaching a workshop in Greenland this past summer and once again we were able to find the picture in the picture of larger overall photos.  This time we focused on abstracts of icebergs.  This article is all about the abstracts found in bigger icebergs.  There isn't much that I shoot these days that doesn't involve looking for the picture in the picture. Check out the article HERE
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: New Article Published - Seeing Different
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:24 am »

Excellent article Kevin - it beautifully explores one of the primary functions of photography, to help us see what we may otherwise overlook or ignore, and the beauty in it. Well done.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 08:05:55 pm »

Amen to what Mark said.

This is one of the best articles on creativity in photography that I have seen. I guess I like it because it reflects my own tastes.

Thanks, Kevin!

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:23:34 pm »

Good stuff, Kevin.

As in my favorite motto from Minor White: “One should not only photograph things for what they are but for what else they are.”

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 08:19:52 am »

Very special pictures, but when I showed them to my friend, she commented what she saw in the first picture:
When I looked at it I saw people intertwined, suffering, as if raising their arms to be saved from whatever hell they were in.

I replied that maybe they were all trying to get out of Antarctica. Men from Mars, women from Venus.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 10:08:16 am »

When I looked at it I saw people intertwined, suffering, as if raising their arms to be saved from whatever hell they were in.

Dante's inferno. Or maybe she has personal issues to deal with, the photo acting like a Rorschach test.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 10:33:07 am »

Not a bad idea. Something like this?

John R

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 11:06:34 am »

Excellent article Kevin - it beautifully explores one of the primary functions of photography, to help us see what we may otherwise overlook or ignore, and the beauty in it. Well done.
My sentiments exactly; excellent article and images. This has been my way of photographing for some time. Photograph not only what you came for, but what is not always obvious in a scene, such as patterns, shapes, light, everything that strikes you or comes to mind. Sometimes scenes creep into your consciousness as you are looking at other subjects. The more you do this, the more things will appear to you, not just the obvious.

JR

jmlphotography

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 12:04:30 pm »

One of the best articles I've read anywhere in a long time. Simply stated and illustrated to a "T".  Well done!!

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 12:57:49 pm »

Yeah, I can really relate to this one. That's even what I'm talking about in my little tagline for my LuLa profile.
I don't always find it but I try.
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up