Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rocket Science  (Read 1628 times)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Rocket Science
« on: April 16, 2018, 10:36:36 pm »

Those Syrian rocket hits don't add up.

Pentagon states that all 103 Tomahawks reached their target in Syria.
Russian Ministry of Defense says that 71 out of 110 cruise missiles launched through Syria were intercepted.
Syrian defense confirmed 112 air defense missiles were deployed in shooting 71 Tomahawks, with Pantsir systems particularly effective - 23 out of 25 missiles hitting the incoming missiles.
Telegraph UK reports that Syria fired 40 missiles 'at nothing' after allied air strikes destroyed the chemical sites.
Israeli paper Haaretz concluded that Syria attack is a win for Assad who has scored another victory in the battle for the hearts and minds of his own people and the support of the entire Arab world.

Trump declared the mission as enormous success, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad praised Russian weaponry, and Putin called in Israel's ambassador to Russia for a "conversation".
In the meantime, Kim Jong Un, the Little Rocket man in North Korea kept away from rockets and hobnobbed with a visiting Chinese ballet troupe.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 03:18:32 am by LesPalenik »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Rocket Science
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:55 pm »

Remedial arithmetic should be required for all parties.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 03:19:37 am »

That, and also lie detectors for all parties.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 03:22:36 am »

That, and also lie detectors for all parties.

Too late I fear.
Apparently we have already entered an alternative universe where nothing much adds up.
Here are three more examples that immediately come to mind:
The UK government states that the unfortunate Skripals were poisoned by the Russians with a military grade version of Novichok. This nerve agent is known to kill in seconds. After being poisoned the  Skripals went for a drive, had a pub meal, and went for a walk before getting ill. They are now recovering.
Elon Musk's Tesla, Inc can't meet production targets, has never made a profit and never will, and its bonds have been downgraded by Moody’s to junk status. It is currently the world's 4th largest automaker by value.
The Russians are a military threat, yet their entire military budget for 2017 of $70 billion was less than the current increase in military expenditure in the US ($610 billion to $700 billion, last time I looked).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 03:37:07 am »

Too late I fear.
Apparently we have already entered an alternative universe where nothing much adds up.
Here are three more examples that immediately come to mind:
The UK government states that the unfortunate Skripals were poisoned by the Russians with a military grade version of Novichok. This nerve agent is known to kill in seconds. After being poisoned the  Skripals went for a drive, had a pub meal, and went for a walk before getting ill. They are now recovering.

Depending on dose, of course. If administered, as is apparently the case, via residue on a door handle, who knows? While Litvinenko's murder was undoubtedly successful, the trail left by his Russian murderers does not demonstrate competence.

Elon Musk's Tesla, Inc can't meet production targets, has never made a profit and never will, and its bonds have been downgraded by Moody’s to junk status. It is currently the world's 4th largest automaker by value.

Who says it will never make a profit?

The Russians are a military threat, yet their entire military budget for 2017 of $70 billion was less than the current increase in military expenditure in the US ($610 billion to $700 billion, last time I looked).

They are prepared to use their armed forces in an aggressive fashion, which is why they are dangerous. Crimea? Destroyed civilian airliner? Insurgency in Ukraine, lied about until the lie could no longer be sustained? Support for Assad?

I agree that a superficial view, lacking analysis, of many topics is capable of leading to the appearance of contradiction.

Jeremy

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 05:09:56 am »

Moody's did not downgrade them to "junk" status.

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Teslas-corporate-family-rating-to-B3-senior-notes--PR_381481

It took less than 30 seconds to get a primary source and I'm still convalescing.

You're exactly right, Jeremy.
Phil Brown

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 06:01:14 am »

Moody's did not downgrade them to "junk" status.

https://www.moodys.com/research/Moodys-downgrades-Teslas-corporate-family-rating-to-B3-senior-notes--PR_381481

It took less than 30 seconds to get a primary source and I'm still convalescing.

You're exactly right, Jeremy.

My mistake, they already were junk bonds within the definition.

From the Financial Times March 27 2018:
'Moody’s added to the recent woes of Tesla investors late on Tuesday, taking the company’s junk-bond credit rating down a notch to B3 and warning it may fall further if the company has trouble raising $2bn or so of fresh capital."

MarketWatch on the same day"Moody's Investors Services late Tuesday downgraded Tesla Inc. TSLA, -3.04% corporate debt rating to B3 from B2, one notch further down on its junk-bond rating"
Tesla has a long way to go to get IG rating.

Who knows, maybe Musk will get his production act together. But the recent recall of 123,000 vehicles appears symptomatic of  systemic assembly line problems.

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 07:06:25 am »

And Tesla, with billions in cash and tax advantages and so on, cares about the price of raising capital why, exactly?  They aren't borrowing.  It's currently trading at USD291 a share - quite a bit up from 15 months ago.  Almost every speculative venture is going to be rated at that sort of level.
Phil Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:03:39 am »

... They are prepared to use their armed forces in an aggressive fashion...

And America and NATO are not?

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 09:17:23 am »

And America and NATO are not?

In general, I get the feeling that the West pays attention to rules and the UN concept a little more so than do the Ruskies. However, they, the Ruskies, are very good with the Veto!

It's the ultimate street-shooter rule: ambiguity and no rule. I think they are the more realistic of the two main sides. After all, they know the old Italian saying: what are you gonna do?

Rob

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 10:43:53 am »

In general, I get the feeling that the West pays attention to rules and the UN concept a little more so than do the Ruskies. However, they, the Ruskies, are very good with the Veto!

It's the ultimate street-shooter rule: ambiguity and no rule. I think they are the more realistic of the two main sides. After all, they know the old Italian saying: what are you gonna do?

Rob

Until the West decides it is good time to go and lay hands in some oil fields in the Middle East, of course.

In the end, if you have some sort of armed forces, you better be ready to use them aggressively, or make propaganda about it. It is a good deterrent measure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up