Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Google Drive can use with a web based email?  (Read 2039 times)

kevs

Google Drive can use with a web based email?
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:39:00 pm »

A client sent me some videos to look at to my normal web email, (not a gmail), so we were slowed down by him having to accept that email, actually, I just sent him one of my Gmails, but can one get on board with Google Drive with a non Gmail email? Thanks
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Farmer

Re: Google Drive can use with a web based email?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 05:29:23 am »

You need a Google account, not a gmail account.  I have (multiple) domains of my own, and I have a Google account (as would anyone with an Android phone) - not the same accounts obviously, and I can use Google Drive.  Actually, I have a Google Apps account but any Google account is enough.
Phil Brown

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:53:14 am »

A client sent me some videos to look at to my normal web email, (not a gmail), so we were slowed down by him having to accept that email, actually, I just sent him one of my Gmails, but can one get on board with Google Drive with a non Gmail email? Thanks

Sending large attachments by email is bad practice. As you've found out, it slows down your email receptions, and fills the e-mail server quotum (risking that you cannot receive new emails until the large files are removed).

It's much better to use one of several dedicated file exchange services, many have a (limited) free amount of storage that can be used without having to pay a dime. As always though, TANSTAAFL, so make sure to use a respected service if confidentiality is required, or otherwise wrap the file in a password encrypted archive (e.g. ZIP). I think that (currently) e.g. DropBox is less inquisitive than Google about the content of videos or images that are stored on their servers, but it never hurts to be prepared for what might change in the future.

If these large file exchanges happen a lot, setting up an exchange via FTP might be worth the trouble (allows to restrict access by white-listing specific URLs or using password protected directories), or you could use this free Windows utility (FileDirect by O&O Software) to directly send a file from one's disk storage to someone else via a download link that can be mailed or WhatsApp-ed. The receiving party doesn't have to install anything, just use the link that's generated by the sending party. the sending party obviously needs to keep the computer running during the time of transfer, because there's no cloud storage in between. Size of transfer is only limited by either browser-limitations or available disk-space.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 09:37:30 am »

In the UK, I use FileTransfer which works great (it's free).  I don't know if they are in the USA an d/or Canada.

kevs

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 10:41:33 am »

Guys thanks, I have 10 Google accounts. I'm not the one using Google drive. This guy sent me links via facebook,not even email.  It's not a bright thing to do agreed.

But I clicked on the links and it said I then needed to request permission. PITA.  I can't remember now, but I probably was not logged into any of my Google accounts.  Maybe if I was that would not have appeared and the files would have gone to my desktop?

I use dropbox or just email attachments to people right in email to send images.
Canon 5DS4/ 5D2/ Canon 16-35, 24-105, fixed 85, Profoto D1s

Cornfield

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 05:27:33 pm »

Don't use email.  Use wetransfer.com a first class free service.
Pages: [1]   Go Up