Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Marketing craze  (Read 3255 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Marketing craze
« on: April 14, 2018, 07:15:35 pm »

I have come across this great piece of news this morning:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12641/corsair-unveils-pearlescent-white-dominator-platinum-special-edition-contrast-dimms

Am I the only one to think that these product names are not overboard enough?

Cheers,
Bernard

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: Marketing craze
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 09:45:50 pm »

I keep hoping to see some new medication named "Snake Oil". Could be a great TV ad campaign.
--
Robert

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 10:49:47 pm »

Almost as bad as buying an older camera from another manufacturer, slapping a wooden grip on it, and market it under some heavenly name. Yeah, let's call it Lunar or Stellar.

Two23

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:49:17 pm »

I used to go to a barber shop called "The Rusty Razor."  I had my tetanus shot updated.   Once upon a time in Wichita, KS there was a chiropractor named "Dr. BoneBrake." :o

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 04:56:52 am »

I keep hoping to see some new medication named "Snake Oil". Could be a great TV ad campaign.

Robert, it's not unavailable; it's what you cook snakes in. Ask any eel.

I used to wonder what happened to all the discarded oil from car sumps and boats. I don't wonder about it anymore.

Rob

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:51 am »

I used to go to a barber shop called "The Rusty Razor."  I had my tetanus shot updated.   Once upon a time in Wichita, KS there was a chiropractor named "Dr. BoneBrake." :o

I had a ganglion removed from my wrist by a Dr Hand.  No joke.
Phil Brown

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:56:14 am »

I had a ganglion removed from my wrist by a Dr Hand.  No joke.

Huh, modern medicine!

Older docs used to hit 'em with a book instead. Much cheaper method.

:-)

Farmer

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 07:06:58 am »

Huh, modern medicine!

I was offered 4 options:

1. Do nothing.  Not viable, it was so large it basically immobilised my wrist.
2. Thump it.  Given the size of it, no guarantee it would sort it and it would hurt a lot but the doc said it was still a real option.
3. Cortisone injection.  99% chance of success - pretty good option.
4. Excision.  100% change of success (although associated risks with going under a general).

Given how much hell it had given me for many months, I decided to have it removed.  Besides, how could I not trust Dr Hand?
Phil Brown

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 01:24:49 pm »

Huh, modern medicine!

Traditionally, the book was a family bible, but you don't see many of them around these days. As a method of dealing with a ganglion, it was said to give less chance of recurrence (due to local scarring) than a surgical excision.

Back to the theme, when I was a student I met a chap who turned up every few months to have his recurrent urethral stricture dilated. His name was Badcock.

Jeremy

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 04:07:00 pm »

I have come across this great piece of news this morning:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12641/corsair-unveils-pearlescent-white-dominator-platinum-special-edition-contrast-dimms

Am I the only one to think that these product names are not overboard enough?

Cheers,
Bernard
I've built a slew of computers over the years and I am always amazed by how much some people worry about the color of components.  It's not like the color of RAM or motherboards makes the computers any faster.  One also needs glass or plexi sides so one can see inside the computer and marvel at all the flashing lights and spinning fans.  Of course such cases cost more than the plain cases I use.  there are also the "go fast" stickers that all component makes supply with equipment; your computer is guaranteed to run faster if you stick them on the outside of the case!!!

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »

Back to the theme, when I was a student I met a chap who turned up every few months to have his recurrent urethral stricture dilated. His name was Badcock.

Jeremy

We can only assume that his medical condition was a genetic disease, and that's how his grandfather got that name.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 04:30:19 pm »

It's wonderful to see LuLa folks' sense of humor blossom. Especially in the Coffee Corner. I think you have to have a good one in order to do good photography. Otherwise you'd probably be on suicide watch.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2018, 05:00:27 pm »

Traditionally, the book was a family bible, but you don't see many of them around these days. As a method of dealing with a ganglion, it was said to give less chance of recurrence (due to local scarring) than a surgical excision.

Jeremy

Couldn't they just fit a stent? A big one would add some extra something else to his plunger... or was the "problem" in a deeper location?

I have just finished reading This is going to hurt by Adam Kay; I think I understand why some folks have to throw in the medical towel and get a different job.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2018, 06:08:28 pm »

Couldn't they just fit a stent? A big one would add some extra something else to his plunger... or was the "problem" in a deeper location?

This was in the early '80s, Rob, before stents were commonly used. Angioplasty didn't become widespread until the late '80s / early '90s, and stents took a while to develop after that. I'm not sure that they're used in that particular site even now.

I have just finished reading This is going to hurt by Adam Kay; I think I understand why some folks have to throw in the medical towel and get a different job.

He doesn't tell the half of it.

Jeremy

John Camp

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2018, 08:14:16 pm »

Huh, modern medicine!

I once had a "ganglion" on my little finger. The doc I went to said there were two methods to remove it, the Biblical and the surgical, etc. -- the old doctor joke. I didn't like the idea of hitting it with a Bible, because I thought, What if it didn't break -- would it break the rather small bone beneath it? So, I went to a plastic surgeon. Turned  out not to be a ganglion, but a vascular tumor, technically a form of cancer. It wouldn't have broken -- and would perhaps have broken my finger bone if I'd hit it with something, and if it had broken, I might have had tiny bits of a tumor floating around in my system. I don't know if that would have been dangerous (maybe not) but it doesn't sound ideal, either..

James Clark

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 09:25:23 pm »

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:09 pm »

Dr Dick Chopp, urologist.

What do I win?

On that subject, Dr. Rod (Kunynetz) from Barrie, Ontario recently lost his licence to practice because of sexual misconduct with his patients.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/03/21/doctor-accused-of-rubbing-genitals-on-patients-guilty-despite-size-of-his-belly.html

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 08:10:10 am »

There is a doctor in my town, Seymour Wiener. Obstetrics & Gynecology...Absolute truth.

Peter

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:52 am »

In Ontario, we have several doctors named Dick, but what would be of more interest to some Lula readers is Dr. Nikon, a geriatrician with practice in Newmarket.

James Clark

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 02:22:07 pm »

There is a doctor in my town, Seymour Wiener. Obstetrics & Gynecology...Absolute truth.

Peter

;D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up