Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC 2018 Printing Rendering Intent Greyed Out  (Read 6415 times)

BrianToth

Re: Photoshop CC 2018 Printing Rendering Intent
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 08:34:52 pm »

I was able to confirm that everything works in Windows. I never would've tried that, so thanks everyone for letting me know that this wasn't normal.

I'll probably need to contact Adobe to see what's up with the Mac version. I knew I was missing something. :D

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2018, 09:16:43 pm »

Strange, because I'm using PS CC 2018 on Mac 10.11.6 and the R.I.s are working as usual.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

BrianToth

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 02:43:33 pm »

Strange, because I'm using PS CC 2018 on Mac 10.11.6 and the R.I.s are working as usual.

That's interesting. With the latest Canon Pro-10 driver download?

I've found it just seems to be the two glossy profiles, which of course have been the two I've been primarily using:

Canon PRO-10 <GL><PP> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold
Canon PRO-10 <GL><PP> 3 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold

I've tested the following, all with the most current Canon Pro-10 drivers:

macOS 10.13.4
Photoshop CC 2018 – Does not work
Photoshop CC 2017 – Does not work
Photoshop CC 2015.5 – Does not work
Photoshop CS6 – Does work!

macOS 10.11.6
Photoshop CC 2018 – Does not work

Windows 10 (whatever the latest build is)
Photoshop CC 2018 – Does work!

If I do an Edit > Convert to Profile, all of the intents are available.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 02:52:51 pm »

No Brian, I'm using an Epson SC-P5000, but when I was testing the Canon Pro-1000 all the R.I.s were available as usual.

Interesting clue that when you do "Convert to Profile" it all works. I wonder if there is something with the profile you are converting FROM that is somehow interfering with normal behaviour, but this is just speculation.

BrianToth

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 07:28:21 pm »

For what it's worth, for anyone following this thread… I just discovered the the grey-out print window option reflects the intent that I have under Edit > Color Settings. So if I switch that to Absolute, the greyed-out dropdown menu changes to Absolute also.  Not entirely sure if I can trust that. I'll still need to follow up with Canon/Adobe.

BrianToth

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 12:53:42 pm »

Today I discovered that soft proofing is also broken when using either of the two Canon profiles:

Canon PRO-10 <GL><PP> 1/2 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold
Canon PRO-10 <GL><PP> 3 Photo Paper Plus Glossy&Gold

When I select either of those profiles in the proof setup window, the profile isn't applied to the image and isn't saved when I close the window. It just sticks with whatever the previous selection was.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 01:34:43 pm »

It's beginning to look more and more as if those profiles are defective. Are these the same ones that Andrew or Doug, if I remember correctly, analyzed some time back and found some "wonky" stuff in them?

Doug Gray

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 07:42:41 pm »

It's beginning to look more and more as if those profiles are defective. Are these the same ones that Andrew or Doug, if I remember correctly, analyzed some time back and found some "wonky" stuff in them?

The profiles are anomalous due to an error in interpretation of how the Lab PCS is represented in 16 bits. This has only a small effect, less than .5 dE,  if not detected. Some CMMs such as Adobe's ACE does detect these and adapts its algorithms to use that earlier interpretation.

However, I don't see any difference between the internal structures of any of the printer's canned profiles. I'm more of the view that there is something in Apple's IOS, or some added program interacting with those particular profiles. Lots of people have Apples so it should be pretty easy for someone to check.

Another interesting test might be to select a completely different printer to see if that same profile still disables Photoshop's RIs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up