Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pocket cam  (Read 5563 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
Re: Pocket cam
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 08:33:54 pm »

I have big pockets.

So do I, and that's a critical parameter, I think.  Because it gives you the option of using an interchangeable-lens camera for walk-around shooting.

My current "pocket" camera is a Fuji X-E2 with Fuji's 27mm f/2.8 pancake lens attached.  (The lens is a current product and the body is still available, both used and even new from some vendors.)  The combination is essentially weightless on my shoulder, which is how I typically carry it, but it also fits into the larger pockets of several of the jackets that I own.

And when I'm wearing one of those jackets with big pockets, I usually drop the compact (and rather surprisingly excellent) 18-55mm kit zoom into one of them.  If I need to go wider or narrower than the 27mm, it's a 30-second switch.

A few years ago, I made this picture in Prague with the X-E2 and 18-55mm.  It prints quite nicely at 18x22 inches, so I've never felt the need to upgrade to the higher-resolution X-E3.  And, of course, the X-E2 also works fine with any of the other Fuji X lenses.  (I currently also shoot with an X-T2 and a Nikon D800E.)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 10:06:52 pm »

Are you looking to have controls comparable to those of regular SLRs?
If all you want is a fully waterproof sturdy camera for documentation, you could try an Olympus Tough TG-# camera. It is pocketable and has some limited controls (eg. Aperture priority, but have only 2 aperture choices, f/2.8 and f/8). The key is that it shoots in Olympus RAW format as well as jpg. Zoom equivalent approximately 25-100 mm. They just brought out a new model 5, you might be able to get model 4 cheap. I have model 4, it is indeed waterproof enough for underwater photos in relatively shallow water. Just rinse salt off under the sink when done.

I have the TG-4 but honestly the raw option is of limited use. Most of the times the colors are nicer in jpeg (if a little too saturated) while the raw is quite noisy and usually it's not worth the time to postprocess them. I was very excited about it but in the end I rarely saw the benefit.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:32 pm »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 03:23:59 pm »

-MattB

BobDavid

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »

I really love the Pen F and 17mm f/1.8 combo. Though not waterproof and slightly larger than some other options, it's still compact and provides excellent IQ.  The pixel shift feature is amazing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up