Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which digital back (and lens) for landscapes  (Read 2625 times)

Endeavour

which digital back (and lens) for landscapes
« on: April 11, 2018, 08:16:49 am »

I currently do almost all my landscape photography with large format film. I love the process but I sometimes wish I had a nice digital solution as well.
I already have a Hasseblad H1 with a P30+ back, which I use for portrait type shooting, but I wonder how capable this is, at wider angles and with Lee filters in play

I would rather not invest in another camera system (sony/canon etc) and although I would love a Hasselblad V setup, if I did get another back I would want to be able to switch it with my P30+

Would a P45+ be noticeably different to my P30+ for landscape shots - lots of rumbling on the internet about microlenses on the P30 but almost as much "makes no difference" comments too.

any thoughts please?
thanks

oh, and this is for pleasure/hobby - not something I can go spending tens of thousands on a new IQ3 bac, I will be buying used.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:19:42 am by Endeavour »

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: which digital back for landscapes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:42:58 am »

P30+ and P45+ will behave similarly. Microlenses won't make a difference unless using the P30 on a technical camera with movements. The P30 can actually handle minor movements.  P30+ has a 1.3 crop factor; P45+ is slightly less. P45+ has longer exposure capability thought he P30 is no slouch. 

I'd recommend going to the P65+ with its full frame Dalsa sensor. It probably will still allow you to keep within budget and offers much more, including faster flash sync for your portrait work.  (I've had the P30, P45+ and P65+ before).

Ken

Endeavour

Re: which digital back for landscapes
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:48:19 am »

Thank you Ken

Endeavour

Re: which digital back (and lens) for landscapes
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 10:25:46 am »

As a follow up, I am really happy with the image quality my 80 & 120 mm lenses give me when shooting people, but I'm going to have to go wider for landscapes

I was thinking of the 35 or 28mm.
Am I correct in thinking the Hasselblad 24mm will only work with Hassy backs on the H1, and not a Phase One DB?

Are there better lenses out there than Hasselblad H? I am looking for the most detail in my images.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:40:52 am by Endeavour »

Endeavour

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 11:25:01 am »

been investigating this a little more, and starting to get a little frustrated

For my current setup, I "need" a wider angle lens for landscape work - so thats something like a 28mm. But that lens, as Hasselblad have pointed out to me, may vignette on certain backs. (mine is a P30+ and suppose it will be darker at the corners)
Also I think I need to update my firmware so that my H1 can work with the HCD 28mm. And as I dont have a Hassleblad back, I cant update myself. No local shops can help and Hasselblad want $145 USD + taxes & shipping just to update the firmware :o

If I wanted to upgrade the digital back, and not have to sell one of the kids (although I have already picked out which one would be first to go) I am going to struggle to find a P65+ in an H mount.

It shouldnt be this hard :) I'm thinking of throwing the whole lot on ebay and seeing if I can replace it with a full P1 system.
Trouble is, I love the feel of my H1 and am really pleased with the portrait shots I can get from it.

getting another Hasseblad system like an H3,4 or 5D wouldn't solve anything because I'll lose my Capture One workflow which I am really happy with.

sorry for the friday rant :)

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 12:20:00 pm »

If you truly want to stay with your Capture One workflow, see if you can find a used H4X or H5X body. Those will accept Phase backs and should work fine with the Hassy 28mm and 24mm lenses. Check eBay, purveyors in the US and UK, Hasselblad CPO, etc.

As for vignetting, the 28mm and 24mm HCD lenses are meant to cover sensors up to 37mm x 49mm cleanly, and yours is smaller than that, so you should be fine. There might be minor vignetting in the corners, but that's easily cleaned up in post. Phocus does it automatically in the software; not sure if Capture One has similar designated profiles for the H lenses.

For updating your H1 body to the latest firmware, I'm surprised no local shops can help. But $145 seems actually quite cheap for Hasselblad to do the update. You're not willing to spend $145 + shipping to be able to use wider lenses? That's very cheap in the world of medium format.

Lastly, if you want to upgrade your back (and depending on how you define "upgrade"), you could probably get a used P45+ (larger sensor) for around $5K these days.

Endeavour

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 12:36:58 pm »

you're right about the $145 fee of course. I just begrudge paying for something I should quite easily be able to do myself ;)

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 02:08:43 am »

But that lens, as Hasselblad have pointed out to me, may vignette on certain backs. (mine is a P30+ and suppose it will be darker at the corners)

The 28mm will not vignette on the P30+. As to the update, it requires an older digital back so paying the upgrade fee is the only reasonable option.

Endeavour

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 10:33:48 am »

A couple of weeks on, and I'm still mulling things over.

I've come to the following thoughts though:

I could buy a Hasselblad H5x and an HC 35mm
This would allow me to use my existing P30+ and upgrade in the near future to something like a P65+ or even an IQ. I get to keep my Capture One workflow and, if I understand it correctly, can use more recent hasselblad digital backs as well, such as the H4D H5D etc

I could switch to all Phase One kit
I cant afford an XF, so would have to go for a Mamiya 645AFD - which I know nothing about or how it performs for focusing etc for Landscape work.
Would also mean buying a new body, lenses and back

I could switch to all Hasselblad - i.e. H3dII or H4D
This has the advantage of keeping sharp Hassy lenses as well as using a body I like to hold. But locks me into Hasselblad backs which if I dont get the one I want initially, dont seem to be that plentiful on the used market such as ebay - how often does one see a used hasselblad 50mp back come up for sale which would be compatible with the H3D or H4D? thus making upgrades more difficult

There are two main dealers for Hasselblad and Phase One in Toronto I could talk to. but neither of which carry any used stock. and so I am reluctant to waste their time with demos and such like given that I wont be buying a new system any time soon

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 08:48:18 pm »

Have you considered doing stitching with your current setup?  Even something a small as a Syrp Mini would work, and allow for wider shots with your existing gear.  I stitch a lot, and have used both the Gigapan Epic Pro and the Syrp to get a scene that I liked.

As to the options, I would ponder a few more things.  I wouldn't go for a non XF Phase setup - the difference is just so much doing a DF/DF+/A** body and repairs are ...  Doing a Hass kit may fit, but I would temper that with your workflow in C1.  Hass backs are said to be slightly interchangeable, but don't come up for sale separately that often - it's sold as a package.  The H5x option is tempting, but the HC 35mm should work with what you currently have.

Here's a stitched photo 3 high, 5 wide with the HC 80mm and a Gigapan - http://gigapan.com/gigapans/206372  It's all about figuring out what you want to capture, and what tools make it work.
t: @PNWMF

vampire

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:30:59 pm »

Have you considered a Hasselblad  X1D with the new 21mm lens? Or the X1D with the a used H 28mm HCD lens with the XH adapter (you can use all your H lenses with this adapter and the X1D). I'd recommend going the X1d route with one of those lenses. The newer tech, size/weight benefits should outweigh any of the other systems. The only thing you couldn't do is keep your C1 workflow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up