Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dust on Paper - how to prepare before printing  (Read 2513 times)

deliberate1

Dust on Paper - how to prepare before printing
« on: April 08, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »

Friends, I bought some lovely Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta paper which I printed up for the first time this weekend, and am very pleased with the results. But as I scrutinized the first two prints, I noticed that there are tiny, reflective specks that appear on the surface.They are only apparent when the print is acute, catching just a certain angle of light. At first, I thought that this might be an imperfection on the paper surface. Before I printed a third image, I checked the paper surface and discovered flecks of dust, which I suspect is the culprit. I do not have a proper brush so I used a tiny anti-static horsehair lens brush to clean the paper surface as best as I could. I printed up that image and there were far fewer specks. So I think my theory is correct. Consequently, I think the solution is a larger, non-static brush, or some other device for cleaning the surface. But beyond that, and other than keeping my studio a bit cleaner, are there any other techniques for keeping the paper free of dust while it is in the machine?  I should mention that I was printing 13x19 sheets, which is unusual for me as I typically print 24" rolls with my Epson 7800, and have never had this problem with roll paper. Since that paper is more protected while rolled, and is exposed for only a short time during the printing process, I suspect I  will have fewer issues once I put those in service. I can also keep the paper covered as it is fed in to the machine, reducing the exposure to the environment even further.
Much obliged for any suggestions.
David

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
Re: Dust on Paper - how to prepare before printing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:19:35 pm »

Just a thought,  try compressed air to clean the sheets. I only use roll paper. I have had the odd dust but not like you describe. Maybe you have a bad box and should contact your reseller.

Steven

deliberate1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »

Steven,
I thought it may be a defect in the paper, actually on the surface. But when I took a new sheet out of the plastic, there was no discernible  dust. Though it is really hard to see on the white surface except in a particular, sheered light. As I watched, it appeared that dust was settling on the surface. Or may have actually been attracted to it.
As an experiment I will take a sheet out of the box only when the image is ready to go, immediately load it and then cover it in some fashion as it is fed into the printer. Again, I tend to think this is all a function of a considerably less than pristine environment, combined with low humidity and maybe some sort of static charge on the paper surface. I bought some rolls as well and will load those, using the same precautions, to see if the results vary.
Cheers.
David

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:01:26 pm »

I always first give the paper a good brushing with a [horsehair?] brush followed by a blast of compressed air. It usually does the trick.

In general, I have found mat papers to be more dusty than gloss/luster papers.
Jay W Page

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:42 pm »

I carefully vacuum my printer every so often to get rid of dust that may fall onto the surface of the paper.

deliberate1

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 06:55:07 am »

I always first give the paper a good brushing with a [horsehair?] brush followed by a blast of compressed air. It usually does the trick.

In general, I have found mat papers to be more dusty than gloss/luster papers.

Jay, I appreciate the suggestion but do wonder if the action of brushing creates any static charge that would create a dust magnet under certain circumstances. Perhaps there are anti static brushes.Will check that out. And, as Steven suggests, vacuuming the printer is a good suggestion, though I keep mine under cover when not in use.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:02:09 pm »

Friends, I bought some lovely Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta paper which I printed up for the first time this weekend, and am very pleased with the results. But as I scrutinized the first two prints, I noticed that there are tiny, reflective specks that appear on the surface.They are only apparent when the print is acute, catching just a certain angle of light. At first, I thought that this might be an imperfection on the paper surface. Before I printed a third image, I checked the paper surface and discovered flecks of dust, which I suspect is the culprit. I do not have a proper brush so I used a tiny anti-static horsehair lens brush to clean the paper surface as best as I could. I printed up that image and there were far fewer specks. So I think my theory is correct. Consequently, I think the solution is a larger, non-static brush, or some other device for cleaning the surface. But beyond that, and other than keeping my studio a bit cleaner, are there any other techniques for keeping the paper free of dust while it is in the machine?  I should mention that I was printing 13x19 sheets, which is unusual for me as I typically print 24" rolls with my Epson 7800, and have never had this problem with roll paper. Since that paper is more protected while rolled, and is exposed for only a short time during the printing process, I suspect I  will have fewer issues once I put those in service. I can also keep the paper covered as it is fed in to the machine, reducing the exposure to the environment even further.
Much obliged for any suggestions.
David
Assuming that your paper is essentially the same as the old "Harman By Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta" then I would say those specks are a known problem with that otherwise gorgeous paper.  Various posters on here have suggested that the new, rebranded "Hahnemühle Photo Gloss Baryta 320" has a better coating that is less prone to those specks but I have no idea if that is true or not.  I stopped using the Harman Gloss Baryta because of those specks and I was unable to completely eliminate them by brushing the paper.  I never tried the roll version.

deliberate1

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 09:32:10 pm »

Assuming that your paper is essentially the same as the old "Harman By Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta" then I would say those specks are a known problem with that otherwise gorgeous paper.  Various posters on here have suggested that the new, rebranded "Hahnemühle Photo Gloss Baryta 320" has a better coating that is less prone to those specks but I have no idea if that is true or not.  I stopped using the Harman Gloss Baryta because of those specks and I was unable to completely eliminate them by brushing the paper.  I never tried the roll version.

Sorry to hear it but appreciate the history. What I got is new paper from B&H. And, as you say, it is beautiful. I ordered an anti-static brush today and will give paper a full cleaning before putting through the printer. Were you using the v.1 or v.2 version? And when you examined the paper before printing, were you able to actually see the specks, or did they manifest only after ink was laid down, appearing as sparkles. Curious as to what comparable paper you migrated to once the Hahnemuhle was off the roster.
Again obliged for the help. I would really like to make this paper work. It takes ink beautifully with no discernible, gloss differential/bronzing, at least on the four images I printed.
Cheers.
David

stockjock

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 11:07:50 pm »

Sorry to hear it but appreciate the history. What I got is new paper from B&H. And, as you say, it is beautiful. I ordered an anti-static brush today and will give paper a full cleaning before putting through the printer. Were you using the v.1 or v.2 version? And when you examined the paper before printing, were you able to actually see the specks, or did they manifest only after ink was laid down, appearing as sparkles. Curious as to what comparable paper you migrated to once the Hahnemuhle was off the roster.
Again obliged for the help. I would really like to make this paper work. It takes ink beautifully with no discernible, gloss differential/bronzing, at least on the four images I printed.
Cheers.
David

I was using the original Harman By Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta from about 4 years ago in 13x19 sheets.  I didn't find that brushing or blowing the paper helped.  I still got specks on about 15-20% of the sheets.  Maybe I just wasn't thorough enough.  I have never found another paper with that amazing surface that the Gloss Baryta had.  I switched to Canson Platine and I think that is a terrific paper but I don't think it compares directly to the Gloss Baryta.  I haven't really tried many of the Hahnemuhle papers, they are too expensive for me, but they offer a wide range of product. 

deliberate1

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 06:57:36 am »

I was using the original Harman By Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta from about 4 years ago in 13x19 sheets.  I didn't find that brushing or blowing the paper helped.  I still got specks on about 15-20% of the sheets.  Maybe I just wasn't thorough enough.  I have never found another paper with that amazing surface that the Gloss Baryta had.  I switched to Canson Platine and I think that is a terrific paper but I don't think it compares directly to the Gloss Baryta.  I haven't really tried many of the Hahnemuhle papers, they are too expensive for me, but they offer a wide range of product.

If I can not resolve the issue with the Gloss Baryta I will check out the Canson.
Thanks

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs

deliberate1

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:59:09 am »

Get one of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quickie-Microfiber-Fluffy-Duster-419M1/205671337?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CVF%7CD59%7CMulti%7CNA%7CPLA%7CClean_Sweep%7c71700000033435183%7c58700003894708230%7c92700031220460387&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImom2mtuv2gIVw0wNCh0zKAyfEAQYBSABEgIk1PD_BwE&dclid=CJjn8Lnbr9oCFUQegQodnokGlA

Use it only for your paper, of course. I have not had problems with dust while printing, but I always make sure to dust a print before applying spray or varnish.

Oh, my Peter. That looks dangerous.....
I need two.
Cheers
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up