Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RolliSinaLea  (Read 2505 times)

RicAgu

RolliSinaLea
« on: October 01, 2006, 02:03:47 am »

OH BOY!

Well I bought into the H1 in November of 05 with five lenses, two bodies, a P25 now an A75 and even a Pola back.  I dumped all my  Contax gear and a boat load of Pentax 67.  I still hung onto my RZ, which I think I am going to dump in the next month or two.

My first system as a professional was the Rollie 6008.  Spectacular system!  Great lenses!  Brilliant back design!  I never had one Rollie go down although back then I only had one body.  But the battery did go down on me once in the middle of a major job, and that is when I left the system.

With Leica buying Sinar, they may get their marketing kicking.  The Hy6 looks like a great system and with Schneider, Zeiss or possibly Leica lenses this would seem like the system to beat.  55mm shift lens, 180mm/2.8, 6x6 system that lets you use a 645 chip either way by either rotation or release and reclip.  I proposed  the same body to Mamiya in late 04 / early 05.  A 6x6 RZ renamed RA.  There are still a lot of loyal RZ shooters and if they were able to keep the lens mount it would be brilliant.

Phase one just kicked it up a notch as well, as they released the + backs and opening their file to Adobe and Apple.  I love my A75 and the P25 did a great job.  But a P30 with 1600 on C1 pro!

If Rollie, Sinar, Leica, Jenoptik or whoever the hell is involved does an intelligent marketing campaign.  It is a system that will blow everyone away.  I remember the 80's, no one liked the RZ, me included.  I hated it!  Everyone was on a Hassy or Pentax 67 and that was it.  Some how Leibovits, Ralston, Seliger and other big names were shooting the RZ and Mamiya started marketing the hell out of it.  That will not get the regular pro.  We will shoot what is comfortable after testing it.  But every kid coming up will look at that campaign and wonder.  

MAC group was one of the most brilliant marketing companies around.  If you look at Profoto before, no on was using it, it was Comet or Broncolor with Norman, Speedo and Dyna picking up the rear.  Every school in the country uses Leaf and maybe has one Phase.  Every rental house in the country has 10-15 Phase backs and pushes it with one Leaf.  Why?  Because they are bullet proof!

So I hope Leica, Sinar, Rollie, Jenoptik really step up to the plate with marketing.  It will take more than a year for the system to take off.  But with the quick turn over of the Digital backs they need to be open to the interface.

IMO, Hassy has shot themselves in the foot.  BIGTIME!  I will look into the Hy6 as soon as it is made to be able to be used with a P25 and an A75.  Leaf and Phase are the only two real choices for daily shooters.  Like Fuji and Kodak when we relied on film.  With ilford, scotch and afga supplying us a different look when we needed some different saturation or grain structure.

I really don't get Hassy anymore.  But what are you going to do.  The pro's need to make ourselves heard through our wallets.

SO to the new RSLJ....  MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING!!!!

Then some more MARKETING!

JUST ALL IMHO        

paul_jones

• http://www.paulrossjones.com
RolliSinaLea
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 03:07:32 am »

OH BOY!

Well I bought into the H1 in November of 05 with five lenses, two bodies, a P25 now an A75 and even a Pola back.  I dumped all my  Contax gear and a boat load of Pentax 67.  I still hung onto my RZ, which I think I am going to dump in the next month or two.

My first system as a professional was the Rollie 6008.  Spectacular system!  Great lenses!  Brilliant back design!  I never had one Rollie go down although back then I only had one body.  But the battery did go down on me once in the middle of a major job, and that is when I left the system.

With Leica buying Sinar, they may get their marketing kicking.  The Hy6 looks like a great system and with Schneider, Zeiss or possibly Leica lenses this would seem like the system to beat.  55mm shift lens, 180mm/2.8, 6x6 system that lets you use a 645 chip either way by either rotation or release and reclip.  I proposed  the same body to Mamiya in late 04 / early 05.  A 6x6 RZ renamed RA.  There are still a lot of loyal RZ shooters and if they were able to keep the lens mount it would be brilliant.

Phase one just kicked it up a notch as well, as they released the + backs and opening their file to Adobe and Apple.  I love my A75 and the P25 did a great job.  But a P30 with 1600 on C1 pro!

If Rollie, Sinar, Leica, Jenoptik or whoever the hell is involved does an intelligent marketing campaign.  It is a system that will blow everyone away.  I remember the 80's, no one liked the RZ, me included.  I hated it!  Everyone was on a Hassy or Pentax 67 and that was it.  Some how Leibovits, Ralston, Seliger and other big names were shooting the RZ and Mamiya started marketing the hell out of it.  That will not get the regular pro.  We will shoot what is comfortable after testing it.  But every kid coming up will look at that campaign and wonder. 

MAC group was one of the most brilliant marketing companies around.  If you look at Profoto before, no on was using it, it was Comet or Broncolor with Norman, Speedo and Dyna picking up the rear.  Every school in the country uses Leaf and maybe has one Phase.  Every rental house in the country has 10-15 Phase backs and pushes it with one Leaf.  Why?  Because they are bullet proof!

So I hope Leica, Sinar, Rollie, Jenoptik really step up to the plate with marketing.  It will take more than a year for the system to take off.  But with the quick turn over of the Digital backs they need to be open to the interface.

IMO, Hassy has shot themselves in the foot.  BIGTIME!  I will look into the Hy6 as soon as it is made to be able to be used with a P25 and an A75.  Leaf and Phase are the only two real choices for daily shooters.  Like Fuji and Kodak when we relied on film.  With ilford, scotch and afga supplying us a different look when we needed some different saturation or grain structure.

I really don't get Hassy anymore.  But what are you going to do.  The pro's need to make ourselves heard through our wallets.

SO to the new RSLJ....  MARKETING, MARKETING, MARKETING!!!!

Then some more MARKETING!

JUST ALL IMHO        
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78528\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

my sentiments exactly. this is different than the usual product promotion, and becoming a good against evil senario. the more hasselblad trys to force us into their digital system, the more people are going to get emotive about the decision.
this would be a completely different situation if hasselblad had worked with the other digital companies to solve their compatabily problems, and concerntrated on improving their product. they need to try and get people to buy the hassycon solution by having the best product, not by restricting the compatability with competitions (better) backs.

i feel sorry for the people who have spent very large amounts of money supporting the hassleblad system, but with non hasselblad backs. they are now getting screwed with any future h1 improvements and lens options.

i suppose the good side of all of this- there will be a lot more cheap h1 gear on ebay soon!

paul
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau
Pages: [1]   Go Up