Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice - protective spray for matte canvas from a can  (Read 924 times)

BrianWoolf

Need advice - protective spray for matte canvas from a can
« on: April 04, 2018, 03:43:34 pm »

Hello, I just need some simple advice of the best type of a matte spray in a can to protect a matte canvas from ink loss from scrapes or rubbing, on the edges About a year ago, I printed some 20x30" canvases on Epson Matte canvas and had a hard time finding a protective spray. Found one in a black can with yellow label (sorry, I don't remember the brand) but was unable to get it again and then settled for Krylon Matte Spray. I figured these weren't Picasso's, just wanted to protect the canvas from scratches and ink loss on the edges. I found that just moving them around could 'scrape' ink off the edges and on an unframed canvas that looks terrible. I could retouch dark areas ok but skies, not really. Is there a good solution to this problem from a spray can, something like 'Print Shield' or some other choice.
Thanks in advance, Brian

mearussi

Re: Need advice - protective spray for matte canvas from a can
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 04:07:20 pm »

I've used the solvent spray versions from Print Shield, Moab and Hahnemuhle on canvas and if you spray them on thick enough they will protect a bit from fingerprints and water, but none of them are tough enough to protect from mechanical damage. For that you need to use the much thicker and tougher latex water based coatings like Eco Print Shield.

Now if you don't mind a high gloss finish there's always epoxy, but there's nothing simple about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-HRzKW1Brw&index=13&t=1s&list=PL4TwTEPWSmle5_5ep-EfptTkG6r7sMpEu
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 04:11:58 pm by mearussi »

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:02:20 pm »

I'd recommend applying Breathing Color Timeless Matte with a foam roller over spraying

It isn't difficult to apply.

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 06:52:56 pm »

Hello, I just need some simple advice of the best type of a matte spray in a can to protect a matte canvas from ink loss from scrapes or rubbing, on the edges About a year ago, I printed some 20x30" canvases on Epson Matte canvas and had a hard time finding a protective spray. Found one in a black can with yellow label (sorry, I don't remember the brand) but was unable to get it again and then settled for Krylon Matte Spray. I figured these weren't Picasso's, just wanted to protect the canvas from scratches and ink loss on the edges. I found that just moving them around could 'scrape' ink off the edges and on an unframed canvas that looks terrible. I could retouch dark areas ok but skies, not really. Is there a good solution to this problem from a spray can, something like 'Print Shield' or some other choice.
Thanks in advance, Brian

So this is kind of an unusual option...haven't seen it mentioned before.  I did a small project on canvas some time ago and I used a varnish typically used by painters - this one called Liquitex High Gloss Varnish, basically an acrylic emulsion.  I simply painted a couple of coats with a foam brush.  If I remember correctly, I diluted 2x or 3x so it imparted only a little bit gloss and a sheen.   There is matte version also available that can be mixed with the gloss to one's liking.  I hate sprays of any kind which I try to avoid as much as I can, so I was looking for an alternative way.  This seemed to fit the bill.  If the painters do it this way, why not photographers.  These are water-based, so no messy solvent cleaning required.

:Niranjan.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:59:40 pm by nirpat89 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up