Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no Ts wide angle for Phase One?  (Read 1837 times)

wing1

Why no Ts wide angle for Phase One?
« on: April 04, 2018, 07:58:47 am »

My new 45 mm BR is an amazing lens. The quality in the center is the same of the Rodenstock 40 hr and is better in the corner. Why there is not a tilt and shift high quality wide angle lens for Phase One? It will be so useful!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Why no Ts wide angle for Phase One?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:22:06 am »

The Rodenstock 23, 28, 32, 40, 50, 60 and 70 are all *excellent* TS wide angles that you can use with a Phase One; more options than you'll find on any small-format system. You can explore their relative image circle sizes here.

What you mean is "Why no TS Wide Angle for the Phase One XF (yet)"?

I can't speak officially for Phase One, but here are some points of reference in which I am highly confident:
- Phase One only wants to release lenses that are A+ quality. Since 2012 they have not released a single lens which was not excellent or better.
- The benchmark (point of comparison) for a TS lens on an XF will be very very high; as you note the 35LS BR is an extraordinary lens, and any TS that is not at least that sharp will disappoint many users
- Lens design is a compromise between image quality, size, weight, image circle size,  and cost. The 35LS BR already shows what happens when you maximize image quality without much constraint on the other factors (it's large, heavy, and expensive). If you now want both that image quality AND a larger image circle the other factors (size, weight, and cost) will have to increase.

In other words, they may not think there is a market for a lens which is larger, heavier, and more expensive than the 35LS BR.  Especially when users who really want that functionality can already get an Arca, Cambo, Alpa or similar tech camera and use a bevvy of the world's best glass with tilt, swing, rise, fall, and shift built into the body (which is preferable to having the movement on the lens).

But personally I think they should go for broke. There are numerous users and use-cases for a suplerlative TS wide angle on the XF.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:04:10 pm »

The Rodenstock 23, 28, 32, 40, 50, 60 and 70 are all *excellent* TS wide angles that you can use with a Phase One; more options than you'll find on any small-format system.......

......Especially when users who really want that functionality can already get an Arca, Cambo, Alpa or similar tech camera and use a bevvy of the world's best glass with tilt, swing, rise, fall, and shift built into the body (which is preferable to having the movement on the lens).

But personally I think they should go for broke. There are numerous users and use-cases for a suplerlative TS wide angle on the XF.

I agree doug..they should do one.  Considering especially as the sensors they are producing are getting higher and higher res and the pixel density is becoming smaller...pretty soon even the Rod23/32 might be too old of a design to be usable on these.
It's scary for all us invested tech cam owners.

If they made a 35/50 and a 90 for the XF I think you might find alot of interest.

Just musings.
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Alexey.Danilchenko

• Spectron
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:06 am »

My new 45 mm BR is an amazing lens. The quality in the center is the same of the Rodenstock 40 hr and is better in the corner. Why there is not a tilt and shift high quality wide angle lens for Phase One? It will be so useful!

Erm, what about Hartblei? I use this lens in Mamiya/Phase One mount and it is a very good lens. The construction is second to none (it is built like a tank), optical resolution is superb (for my older backs - has not tested it on new high res backs but chaps in Hartblei did as I was assured).

Moreover, service from them is second to none. I wanted to have my lens to have additional diaphragm stops (on diaphragm ring), asked for it and they have done it without any problem (and without asking extar for it). Had a slight problem with the lens, sent it in and it was dealt with in a few weeks time very fast and efficient. As far as I am aware for the SLR bodies like DF/XF it is the only T/S wide angle out there.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:59:15 pm »

Erm, what about Hartblei? I use this lens in Mamiya/Phase One mount and it is a very good lens. The construction is second to none (it is built like a tank), optical resolution is superb (for my older backs - has not tested it on new high res backs but chaps in Hartblei did as I was assured).

The Mamiya 50 Shift and Hartblei 45 TS are both options you can buy today. They are better than you'd expect for the price, and are better than you'd expect in quality especially on mid-res and small-sensor digital backs. Neither of them are remotely in the league of a Schneider 45LS BR or Rodenstock 50HR on an IQ3 100mp.

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 08:19:17 am »

Doug - why is it better to move the body rather than the lens?
Pages: [1]   Go Up