Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom 7.3  (Read 26522 times)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Lightroom 7.3
« on: April 03, 2018, 08:59:19 am »

Look out for Lightroom 7.3 today - I've just seen one official announcement here.

There's a very big change in the profiles area. Profiles have moved from the Camera Calibration tab into the Basic panel and they are much extended. New Adobe looks, new "creative" looks too, and LUTs can be included.

One great change is that the whole image is now previewed when you move the mouse over a preset or profile (there's a profile browser in Basic panel - attached).

Face Recognition has a new engine and is much, much faster and more reliable on my system, and adds the ability to rescan a folder.

They have moved Dehaze into the Basic panel, which makes sense only because using Dehaze usually screws up other adjustments set in Basic panel. So if you really must use Dehaze on the whole image, at least you can make the compensating adjustments. I'd still recommend avoiding this Dehaze slider and using it locally in the brush/radial/grad filters.

There's some good stuff in LrMobile iOS too which now has a left handed mode. I'm not one, but always wondered how left handers used the app. It also has the Upright adjustments.

John
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:19:27 am by john beardsworth »

rdonson

Re: Lightroom 7.3
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:24:13 am »

It’s about time Adobe started showing some love for Lightroom. I hope they continue to improve performance as well.
Regards,
Ron

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 09:29:23 am »

They have been improving performance in each iteration of 7.x, though in this release it isn't centre stage (they've looked at some niche issues in that area though).

It's worth saying that I see "Love for Lightroom" as being more than ensuring it receives changes originated in the Adobe Camera Raw environment. That's an important sign, but I'm more reassured by the previous performance improvements and some of the tweaks in Library like the folder filter and now the face recognition upgrade.

John

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 09:57:22 am »

As usual Julieanne has a great intro to 7.3 changes

https://youtu.be/r3aKrscoUx0
Regards,
Ron

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:03:23 am »

They have been improving performance in each iteration of 7.x, though in this release it isn't centre stage (they've looked at some niche issues in that area though).

It's worth saying that I see "Love for Lightroom" as being more than ensuring it receives changes originated in the Adobe Camera Raw environment. That's an important sign, but I'm more reassured by the previous performance improvements and some of the tweaks in Library like the folder filter and now the face recognition upgrade.

John

Well said, John.  This update is very welcome and puts them in contention with Capture One, Luminar, etc.

That said, I'm waiting patiently for 7.3 to show up in my Adobe CC app so I can update.  I'm hoping the new RAW can demosaic Fuji files and render decent sharpness as well as the Fuji film simulations.   There's more to RAW files than just color rendition. 
Regards,
Ron

ButchM

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 10:13:54 am »

Some intriguing, welcome and interesting information about v7.3 ... but ... as I learned the hard way on four different occasions during the lifespan of Lr v6.x ... I'm going to wait for the dust to settle and give the pay-to-play beta testers the opportunity to report back before I update.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 10:14:46 am »

It’s about time Adobe started showing some love for Lightroom.
As Thomas Knoll continues to show love to ACR (the new camera profiles and 'look profiles'), it migrates to LR.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 10:55:34 am »

I'm glad to hear that Thomas is still engaged in ACR.
Regards,
Ron

Mike Normandeau

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 11:26:58 am »

I own Lightroom 6, and updated to 6.14 back in December. Am I right in assuming that was the last stand alone update for my version, and that the new profile look will not be applied to my software, and only to CC version?

Thanks,
Mike

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:24 am »

I own Lightroom 6, and updated to 6.14 back in December. Am I right in assuming that was the last stand alone update for my version, and that the new profile look will not be applied to my software, and only to CC version?

Thanks,
Mike
Correct.

zobelaudio

• zobeleye.com
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:46:05 am »

Not there yet...

Jeff

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2018, 12:06:59 pm »

Does this suggest Adobe have gone back to every supported camera from the beginning and re-profiled.
If so it must have been quite a time consuming task.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 12:17:02 pm »

Does this suggest Adobe have gone back to every supported camera from the beginning and re-profiled.
I doubt that. There are now three types of profiles, Adobe Raw profiles, Camera Matching Profiles, and Creative Profiles.
Adobe Color is now kind of the replacement for the older (but still available) Adobe Standard. These as in the past, only work on raw data. Creative profiles work on either raw or rendered images. You alter their effect with a dedicated slider. Such profiles can contain 3D LUTs so if you have products that can build em, you should be able to now use them in the ACR engine once there are tools to make them accessible to LR/ACR.

DP

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 12:28:23 pm »

only if you do "bespoke" manual tuning... otherwise they have enough brainpower to write a code to automate.

DP

kirkt

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 12:56:40 pm »

There's a very big change in the profiles area. Profiles have moved from the Camera Calibration tab into the Basic panel and they are much extended. New Adobe looks, new "creative" looks too, and LUTs can be included.

John

Any idea of how one goes about creating one's own set of looks, specifically by incorporating existing LUTs into the workflow?  I took a look at some of the canned looks that are included with this update (they are XMP files) and the look table is just a huge string of characters - i.e., not human readable tables, etc.

Thanks,

kirk

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 01:02:58 pm »

Any idea of how one goes about creating one's own set of looks, specifically by incorporating existing LUTs into the workflow?

re LUTs, not yet. It looks like profile creation is driven by Adobe Camera Raw. From the ACR dialog Basic tab's menu, you can create a preset. This preset then shows up in LR when you re-open it. My guess is that this step will be where you will load LUTs. That's only a guess, but I expect it will be publicly documented before too long.

John

DP

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 01:03:47 pm »

Any idea of how one goes about creating one's own set of looks

visually ?

how about https://3dlutcreator.com

the look table is just a huge string of characters

somebody for sure will come up with that it is and then utilities to translate from well known formats to that will be available shortly

kirkt

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 01:08:37 pm »

visually ?

how about https://3dlutcreator.com

I use 3DLC and the most recent version of it permits a LUT made within the application to be exported as a DCP for use in LR.  Which is cool, but requires the app to generate a DCP and a Curve preset to modify neutrals.  If this new profile system really does permit the inclusion of LUT-based remapping, as the J. Kost videos briefly mention, then it opens up a new workflow for incorporating LUTs and LUT remapping into raw conversion.

kirk

kirkt

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 01:09:14 pm »

re LUTs, not yet. It looks like profile creation is driven by Adobe Camera Raw. From the ACR dialog Basic tab's menu, you can create a preset. This preset then shows up in LR when you re-open it. My guess is that this step will be where you will load LUTs. That's only a guess, but I expect it will be publicly documented before too long.

John

Cool.  Thanks John.

kirk
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up