Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 44" Printer Options - Do I purchase/replace my Z3200 44" printer  (Read 5636 times)

felix5616

A little over a year ago I lost my HP Z3200 in a house fire. I am back in and looking to replace the printer. I print only my personal work. Initially I found the printer difficult initially but after a short while i loved the printers quality, neutral B+W and the ability to profile and use a variety of papers and canvas. It ran perfectly for nearly 6-7 year despite moving it 3 times and occasionally long periods of inactivity.  Now I am ready for another 44" printer and still looking to buy another Z3200 44" printer. My question , Is there any other printer with the same qualities. The least important feature is speed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 06:08:59 pm by felix5616 »

Paul Roark

Re: 44" Printer Options - Do I purchase/replace my Z3200 44" printer
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 08:19:24 pm »

For custom black and white, I've very happy with the used Epson 9800 and 7800 models I have.  The ability to use my own mixes of inks easily tremendously lowers the cost of printing B&W.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

hogloff

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:47:10 pm »

For personal work which might include long times of no use, there is nothing better than the 3200. I have two 3100's ( 24 & 44 ) and use them sporadically without any issues of clogging which is one of the major issues with both Canon and Epson printers. I print both colour on canvas and matte / gloss papers as well as b&w and really love the results.

If you were happy with the Z3200, I would just get another. It is the most economical printer to run which includes it's stingy use of ink as well as cheap print heads and a system that can be serviced without a costly service plan.

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 01:08:01 pm »

+1 on the Z3200!!! Remember, it has built-in spectro for the price!

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 02:07:57 pm »

+1 on the Z3200!!! Remember, it has built-in spectro for the price!

+1

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 03:30:36 pm »

The HP Z3200ps printers are finicky.  They are temperamental. They are not for the faint of heart, or people who expect perfection of build over perfection of output.

What you get in the end, if you can put up with the quirks, is possibly the best print an ink jet can make today, running on 10+ year color science and technology that is still king of the hill in terms of print longevity.

What you don't get is speed.  What you don't get is flawless software. What you don't get is clogs.

What you do get is an embedded spectrophotometer included in the price of the printer which is at an all time low currently.

What you do get is the unknowns that come with this printer.  It is unknown how long HP will continue to manufacture it.  They will support it for at least 5 years from end of manufacture.

You will get the best prints you've ever made if you can endure the frustration that comes and goes with this printer.

But you know this already. 

I have 4.  What can I say.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

snappingsam

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 03:38:00 pm »

I too, have the z3200 and its excellent for occasional outfit - very little issues of head clogs etc - mine sometimes goes a month or two without a print - then a couple of rolls in a day. I'm not sure where you are, but in the UK I'm told there are some amazing prices on it just now direct from HP.

felix5616

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 04:13:17 pm »

question for mark, when i get the printer, in this case from B+H photo do I install the printer drivers first then check for firmware updates or do I do a firmware update then install the drivers? its been 18 months since i've printed.  Looking for set up advice for a new printer.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 04:33:15 pm »

Depends on your operating system. If windows, download from the website (google HP Z3200ps drivers) and install drivers and software (Utility), then update the firmware.
Probably the same with Mac depending on what operating system you are using.  The website is funky so you may end up fooling with it a bit.  The Utility hasn't changed a lot so find the most recent update and go with that (Windows and Mac).  Use LAN of course not USB if you can avoid it. 

So that would be my approach.  Others may have a different approach.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 05:10:48 pm »

Just curious why you would say that Canon has an issue with the clogging?
"I have two 3100's ( 24 & 44 ) and use them sporadically without any issues of clogging which is one of the major issues with both Canon and Epson printers."

You realize that Canon and HP have the same exact print head technology and work the same way with clogs?  The print heads are different between them since it would be a big patent issue apart from the technology feature otherwise (Canon Pro series with a single head and HP with a head per every 2 colors).

Are you looking to get the more accurate B&W print or just the ability to have good B&W?  The software alone won't do this upfront and neither will a custom profile.  If trying to make it a more neutral B&W, you'll most likely need a RIP that has this ability to properly apply ink droplets better than the original drivers can do.

MHMG

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2018, 05:23:29 pm »

If you care about print longevity, the HP Vivera pigment ink set in the Z3200PS is not merely the best on overall rating across a variety of modern media. It's the best ink set by a wider margin because it has  a "balanced color" fading rate that keeps it looking visually much better even when noticeable fading has occurred. Canon and Epson haven't figured the "balanced color fade" issue out yet, so their yellow inks fade preferentially faster, thus leaving important skin tone colors far less color balanced than other colors in a printed image when the fading does become noticeable. This is true not only for previous generations of ink formulations, it's also true for the latest Canon and Epson Ink sets. Go figure that HP correctly figured it out over a decade ago, and the current Z3200Ps ink sets have that print longevity color balance goodness baked in.

Also, as others have noted, the Z3200PS is far more forgiving to the low volume print maker, i.e., guys like me, who print only for ourselves and not as a commercial service, so we can't keep a printer going 24/7 like most commercial labs.

kind regards,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

enduser

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2018, 10:14:23 pm »

Canon heads do block. They are manufactured with extra nozzles that are used as one-by-one replacements for blocked nozzles.  So you don't initially see any blocking. But once a lot of blocking and re-mapping  has occurred - new print head. The two head models run up to $1000 for both and usually last two or three years.
If later Epsons have little, if any, clogging, for that reason alone Epson is a better bet than Canon. And it seems now that Canon ink fades  quicker that the others.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:48 am »

in contrast a full set of HPZ printheads is about 350€ - in ten years i have spend maybe one replacement, so 350€.
But i am an occasional user... ( indeed no cloggs)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Miles

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2018, 09:23:27 am »

I owned a Z3100 for years.  I did replace several heads (especially the red channel multiple timesl for some reason) over that time frame but individually, they aren't that expensive (two channels per head if I remember correctly).  I have since owned Canon's ipf8300 and ipf8400.  I can honestly say I don't see any significant difference in head clogs, which are rare, especially with the Canons.  My printers goes unused for periods of time as well.

Everyone talks about how the Z's sip ink, and they do.  But Canon ink is significantly less expensive per ml, especially if you buy the larger tanks.  Canon likely has the advantage here from a cost perspective.

If I were to replace my current printer, I would focus on other features besides clogging because it really has become an insignificant issue between these manufacturers.  Just my two cents.

Miles

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2018, 11:45:25 am »

Everyone talks about how the Z's sip ink, and they do.  But Canon ink is significantly less expensive per ml, especially if you buy the larger tanks.  Canon likely has the advantage here from a cost perspective.

Miles
Initially, HP offered "twin pack" carts of the light gray at a reduced price. Today, there are no such deals available, but you can buy the 300 ml HP 772 carts, replace the chip cap on the end from a corresponding HP 70 cart and print away. I routinely buy  the 300 ml carts for between $105-115. You do lose the ability to check ink remaining in the HP Utility, but I remove the cart and shake it to check ink remaining. Empty weight of 300 ml cart is about 4 oz.

Miles

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2018, 10:10:53 am »

John,

You've found a way to reduce your ink cost and have shared it, which should be helpful to other Z users.  Obviously I was simply comparing the cost of original manufactured cartridges designed for the printers being discussed with out the need for tampering.  A quick check at B&H still shows a 9% cost advantage to the Canon printers when purchasing 700mm cartridges compared to the 772 HP carts.  You evidently have found a much cheaper source than B&H, which is good and actually gives you lower overall ink cost per ml.  I haven't bothered to do an extensive search to find the ultimate cheapest price for Canon carts.  With that said, I'll clarify my point - Canon ink is less expensive (up to 40%) when purchasing standard carts made for the printer at major retailers.  For those willing to take the steps you have outlined and search for better pricing, they should realize substantial savings over the originals.   :)

On another note, I received an email yesterday from HP regarding a Cash in and Trade up program, with savings up to $3,000 cash back this month.  The Z6200 photo printer is included in the promotion.  Something to consider for those currently in the market.

Miles

deliberate1

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2018, 08:57:28 pm »

For custom black and white, I've very happy with the used Epson 9800 and 7800 models I have.  The ability to use my own mixes of inks easily tremendously lowers the cost of printing B&W.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

I am with Paul on this. I have been running a 7800 for about 12 years. It has survived more camera systems than I care to disclose. I use it in a most disrespectful way - bursts of prints followed by weeks or even months of dormancy. Yet, the damn thing fires up every time and has never had what could be reasonably called a "clog." Later generations, not so much from what I have read. Frankly, the better I get, the better it makes me look. I am very pleased with the monochrome images it makes with the K3 inks, which I buy cheap on Ebay. I do not want to see what it could do with a dedicated B&W ink set, for obvious reasons.

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 04:41:07 pm »

With the end of the PMSI sale who now has the best price on the Z3200ps?

Damir

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2018, 02:15:40 pm »

The HP Z3200ps printers are finicky.  They are temperamental. They are not for the faint of heart, or people who expect perfection of build over perfection of output.

What you get in the end, if you can put up with the quirks, is possibly the best print an ink jet can make today, running on 10+ year color science and technology that is still king of the hill in terms of print longevity.

Mark

How much color science advanced in 10+ years?

I am still using my Z3100. I wonder if new color calibration systems are significantly better then what we have in Z's??

John Caldwell

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2018, 04:09:27 pm »

With the end of the PMSI sale who now has the best price on the Z3200ps?

Yes, if I might ask the same?

I regret giving away our 24" z3200 some years ago and, if I'm honest, have not found the Epson 900 series as easy to make work. Where might one buy a z3200 these days?

John-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up