Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dealing with large panoramas in LR/PS  (Read 2680 times)

JohnBeasley

Dealing with large panoramas in LR/PS
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:14:48 am »

I have always had a bit of a love for a panorama but lately "I have been hitting the file size limits more and more.

I have been using a 5dsr and its just getting out of hand. I ended up spending most of the day either waiting on my machine (27 retina, 4ghz, i7 with 32gb ram) to catch up to the smallest adjustments I have made or cursing photoshop when it tells me "file to large to save".

I know I can save it as a .psb but LR, where I pretty much deal with everything will not read a .psb
Up until this I have always used the work around I learned here,
https://luminous-landscape.com/psb-files-lightroom-workaround/
but it failed me this time. 

Now this file is massive but I didnt think it was that much bigger then what Id been dealing with before"(6.11g according to PS, or 46381x847 px)
Anyone have any easier work arounds for me.
(pano in question attached at painfully reduced size)

And bonus question....
It took a "few" attempts at the stitching, I kept getting these random artefacts?

BradSmith

Re: Dealing with large panoramas in LR/PS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 03:44:45 pm »

John,
Your stated pixel dimensions can't be correct.  What are the correct dimensions?

JohnBeasley

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 01:33:34 pm »

Sorry, I left out the 5 when I was typing that.

BAB

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 05:57:33 pm »

not sure it will help but you can safely remove 20% of the left side of the image.
apart from the usual increase of memory in the preferences I think you can try another program to make the pano it might be better use of computer power...Affinity or PTGui then save the file a export to you drive to open and work in PS
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

JohnBeasley

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 02:16:24 am »

Thanks Babs. Il look into those programs.
Re removing the left, in full size, it shows you into the next bay, which has significance to the image for me. I would have spent a lot of time surfing this entire area, so its nice to pull it all together.

dreed

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2018, 04:27:54 am »

Affinity or PTGui then save the file a export to you drive to open and work in PS

For my money, PTGui is the best software for dealing with large panoramas. Only downside is TIFF, not DNF, output.

JohnBeasley

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 06:45:47 am »

Thanks for the tip.

Im heading for Dingle next week so I can see another few large panos being shot, I may chance PTGui

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 08:40:57 am »

I like to use Panorama Factory.

vrkaya

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 12:33:47 am »

Hi John,
I also have the 5dsr and frequently find myself making panos too. Mine are not usually as large as the one you are working with, and they are usually in the 15,000 pixel width size.

Most of my edits are with luminosity masks and adjustment layers in PS. This works well until I have too many layers, so I just Merge layers I'm finished with and then increment the file name and start adding more. After merging/flattening I will name the base layer of the newly incremented file with the filename of the previous one. I seldom go need to go back and work again on any layer but at least they are available if needed in the previous file(s). I think of the previous filename as one form of grouped layers.

I use a 16gb MacBook Pro with a large SSD drive and this has worked well for me. Not perfect, but I am able to fully process big panos this way and work with previous layers/files if needed.

Hope this helps some!
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up