Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Excluding file types from being viewed in Bridge  (Read 5953 times)

myotis

Excluding file types from being viewed in Bridge
« on: March 29, 2018, 04:02:22 am »

Not really sure where questions about  Bridge should go, but...

I am trying to avoid viewing the various sidecar files that different programs create e.g. *.dop files from DXO

There seems to be no exclusion options in the preferences, so I have tried to create a smart folder with a filter where:

File Name does not contain dop,  and as this didn't work I tried .dop, and then *.dop

But the dop files are still being shown.  Does anyone have any suggestion what I am doing wrong. Does bridge not consider the extension to be part of the filename?  Is there an extension option that I'm not finding?

Edit:  I have now found the option to hide files with undefined file associations, and selected it, but this isn't having any effect either, I'm still seeing all the DXO and C1 sidecar files.

Thanks,
Graham
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:09:15 am by myotis »

Redcrown

Re: Excluding file types from being viewed in Bridge
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 02:15:12 pm »

Good Question. Tried to help, but I can't find an easy way. Two not so easy ways:

1. Just use the Filter panel and select all types but "dop"

2. Use Edit/Find for filename-does not contain-dop. You can stack these for multiple "does not contain".

Unfortunately, neither of these is a "sticky", so you have to redo every time you navigate to a new folder.

The Edit/Find command itself is a sticky, so each time you redo it, it remembers the last criteria.

I even poked around, looking for some hidden "preferences" file where Bridge knows to hide its own files (xmp, BridgeCache) but could not find anything.

myotis

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 02:32:08 pm »

2. Use Edit/Find for filename-does not contain-dop. You can stack these for multiple "does not contain".

Thanks for your efforts,  interesting that this seems to work with edit/find but not with a smart folder, which is where I was trying to do this.

The issue I have with the filter option, is that I only have 25,000 images to look at, but once you add in the sidecar files, that I don't want to see, this leaps up to 65,000, so I have to wait for all of these to load, before I can apply a filter.

I think I am going to give up on this, as the driver was to get something faster to use as a browser than launching Capture One, but its ending up being much much slower, trying to use Bridge.

Cheers,

Graham

Redcrown

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 12:37:20 am »

Sounds like you might be a candidate for FastRawViewer

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/

Are you really putting 25,000 images in one folder and asking Bridge to load all at once?

myotis

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:10:29 am »

Sounds like you might be a candidate for FastRawViewer

https://www.fastrawviewer.com/

Are you really putting 25,000 images in one folder and asking Bridge to load all at once?

I use FRV regularly, but it isn't any use for what I want here.

I only tried Bridge, as it was working very quickly on the occasions I used it. It builds an index as well as previews, so it works more like a DAM, than a viewer, and is blazingly fast with small numbers of images. It just fell apart when I tried to use it with my entire collection, not once loaded, as its still very fast, but in the time it takes to load the files in the first place. Files are not in a single folder, but filed in folders by year month, and day.

But I have no idea how it will perform with 25,000 images, as I can't stop it loading load all the DXO and C1 sidecar files as well as the image files, so its actually loading 65,000 files, hence me trying to restrict it to only loading image files. Which, it seems isn't possible.

So its back to Media Pro I fear, several things I don't like about it, which is why I was trying out Bridge, but its blazingly fast to load, scroll, search and preview my whole image library, compared to anything else I use (Lightroom, Capture one and Neofinder, all of which I find useable enough, but at the same time frustratingly slow).

Cheers,
Graham

Redcrown

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 01:17:14 pm »

I use FRV regularly, but it isn't any use for what I want here.

Then I guess we have no idea what you want.

myotis

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 02:51:32 pm »

Then I guess we have no idea what you want.

Well I thought you had a very good idea of what I wanted, as your first answer was a good attempt at resolving exactly what I wanted to do, except that it needs to happen before Bridge loads the files and not after, which again I thought you had also understood, by the phrasing of your answer.

I never explained "why" I wanted to do what I wanted to do, as that didn't seem necessary, but then I also assumed that there would be an easy answer, and it was just me missing the obvious.

The indexing, building of previews and flat view of multiple folders, searching, and XMP editing tools make Bridge more like a DAM than a browser, and maybe FRV can do all these things, but its not obvious to me that it can. If it can, that would be great.

I don't use Bridge that often, but have always been impressed by its speed, and versatility, and as I often want to quickly open my images to browse or search for images, I thought I would investigate it a bit further.  I already have and use several cataloguing tools (Lightroom, Capture One, Neofinder and Media Pro), but they all have some sort of problem, which prevents any one of them being a solution I am happy with. And, as Bridge was sat there, I decided to see how well it might work for me.

And indeed, once all the files are loaded, Bridge is still very fast (not as fast as Media Pro), but as it is, the long long time to load a large number of previews, means it's no improvement in "overall" speed than the options I am already using.

Cheers,

Graham

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 11:17:53 pm »

In Bridge prefs, in "File Type Associations", is the .dop file type associated with DXO? If not, check the box "Hide Undefined File Associations".
~ CB

myotis

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:19:59 am »

In Bridge prefs, in "File Type Associations", is the .dop file type associated with DXO? If not, check the box "Hide Undefined File Associations".

Thanks, I did mention this in my OP, and it doesn't make any difference. I've also tried ticking and un-ticking it a few times and re-launchiing Bridge to see if it only takes after the program is  closed down, but still doesn't work as I had hoped. 

the DXO and Capture One extensions aren't listed.

Cheers,

Graham

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 02:58:05 am »

the DXO and Capture One extensions aren't listed.

Can you add it, then declare it "unassociated"? (I haven't tried that)
~ CB

myotis

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 03:29:51 pm »

Can you add it, then declare it "unassociated"? (I haven't tried that)

That doesn’t appear to be an option, but I’m away now for a couple weeks and can’t investigate further for now.

Thanks,
Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up