Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What’s the point of hybrid viewfinders?  (Read 3462 times)

SuperNiceNina

What’s the point of hybrid viewfinders?
« on: March 28, 2018, 08:33:04 am »

I do not understand the virtues of hybrid viewfinders, can anyone explain the advantages, if any, to me?

A viewfinder is a viewfinder isn’t it? Provided so that a photographer can see what the lens is seeing? It doesn’t matter whether it is optical or electronic—all it has to do is show where the lens is pointing and the field of view.

How do you justify needing a camera that has both options? Many fantastic photos are taken notwithstanding shutter blackout. So what does a hybrid viewfinder bring to the table?

BTW. I have a camera (Canon DSLR) with optical and a camera (Fuji CSC) with EVF. Both work perfectly for me.

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: What’s the point of hybrid viewfinders?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 03:54:46 am »

Personal preference I suspect.

Using the optical viewfinder on my Fuji X100F makes me feel more part of the scene. There's no barrier between me and the reality of the scene. The EVF is better for accurate framing of the edges but I am now viewing the scene.

The OVF also shows a little more than will be captured so you can see what may be coming up as it were.

I had the impression with my X100 (which is far slower than the X100F) that if you set the camera to manual everything including focus then shutter lag was minimal. This is not the same problem with the blazingly fast X100F.

Of course, this is all subjective. YMMV.

Mike

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 04:27:23 pm »

I assume you're referring to the Fuji X-Pros and X-100s. I imagine they're trying to appeal to folks who like rangefinder cameras, in particular the ability to see outside the field-of-view of whatever lens you're using. This lets you see something moving into the lens' FOV before it actually does so. It's a feature I've always liked with Leica Ms, and something you can't do with SLR or EVF cameras.

I also imagine Fuji was looking for marketing "hooks" when they introduced the first X-100, and decided on the dual-finder thing as one such hook. Worked pretty well, I'd say. Does no harm and no-one has to use it unless they want to.

-Dave-

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 04:35:25 pm »

I shoot Panasonic cameras GX7, GX85 with both eyes open and gives me the advantage of a true rangefinder...seeing and following the subject before it enters the EVF.

Peter

hogloff

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 09:44:29 am »

I've used the X100 for a couple years and the EVF was so bad...it needed the OVF in order to be usable. The EVF has advanced greatly in the last few years and now I find using the EVF with all their advantages all the time.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:43:56 am »

I found the EVF on the X100 to be adequate but as you say they have improved so much and the X100F is really very good. Still like the OVF for much stuff though :)

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 05:41:17 pm »

Here’s my take, using a Fuji X-Pro 2 for a while.

The OVF, as stated above, is excellent for seeing things not yet in the frame.  This is often helpful for judging composition, or anticipating what is going to happen next.  When combined with the small EVF screen (lower right of OVF) it makes precise manual focus a piece of cake when “zoomed” and using focus peaking.

AND, interestingly enough, I’ve found that using a long lens w/ the OVF makes tracking moving subjects somewhat easier.  Kind of like a “sports finder” gun-sight type of set up.  I’ve effectively chased birds in flight w/ my 100-400 using the OVF and trusting the zone focus.  As we all know,  with a “though the lens only view,” keeping things framed up becomes a real crap shoot.  I’ve also used it successfully with capturing my grandson “at bat” in a baseball game.  Short tele, OVF as soon as I’m aware that the ball is entering the OVF (but not yet the frame), I mash the shutter and 9 times out of ten I get a good “contact” or almost ball-contacting-bat, shot.  Try that with a DSLR. Your only hope there is “spray and pray.”

The EVF is just what you’d expect, and having it is great for ultra wide lenses, and longer lenses when you need to see the whole frame.  Also, when shooting in low light, you can see what the heck you’re doing and focus is mucho more easy.

In the beginning, I thought I’d just appreciate the “reality” of the OVF like I did back in the day w/ my Leica M4 (kind of an homage to “the olden days”).  But in practical use, I have found that the various uses, and combined OVF/EVF options really provides some unique capability that neither an ONLY through the lens, or through a viewfinder, can offer.

With the new, smaller f/2 lenses that Fuji has released in the last couple of years (23, 35, 50) and the new small lenses like the Mitakon 35mm f/0.95, and the new Lowa 9mm ZeroD 2.8, the X-Pro 2 really makes for a satisfying and capable kit, having the best of both “ways of seeing” your subject, and some “blended” ways of seeing / evaluating.

Rand
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:45:59 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 09:39:53 am »

Actually, the OVF on the X100 series does not show what the lens is seeing. The EVF does that.

As for what's the point, well, choice is good. And for Fuji, it's one feather in their "retro style" cap.

SuperNiceNina

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 04:24:32 am »

Thanks everyone who responded. Your comments are appreciated.

Happy snapping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up