Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking at the TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro  (Read 2597 times)

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
Looking at the TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »

Canon just took back the TS-E50 they'd lent for a review :-(
However I've finished a review/write-up of what it's good for :-)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/ts-e-50mm-f-2-8l-macro-review/

More aimed at showing what you can do with it than the traditional 'photos of test charts' reviews ;-)

Very nicely built and with pretty good image quality

It's only just gone back, so if I've missed anything in the article, please do let me know, whilst stuff is still fresh in the memory!

Next up hopefully the TS-E90, which I can also compare with my original version (and TS-E135 I tested a few weeks ago)

Rado

Re: Looking at the TS-E50mm F2.8L Macro
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 03:26:47 pm »

Thanks for the review. The short focus throw is a bummer, seems to be no better than the 45mm TS-E. I'll probably still get one to replace my 45mm.

keithcooper

• Northlight Images
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:49:55 pm »

Thanks for the review. The short focus throw is a bummer, seems to be no better than the 45mm TS-E. I'll probably still get one to replace my 45mm.
Whilst I didn't have a 45mm here to compare, the throw for six feet to ∞ is distinctly less for the 50mm and caught me out a few times trying to use the 50mm hand held with the viewfinder.

As someone who needs strong reading glasses to accurately use the rear screen, I do still use the VF quite a lot. I can get away with it with the TS-E17 and 24, but the 50mm starts to show up why I use a tripod for paying work ;-)

Given that was my only real irritation, I can't complain too much...

Rado

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 04:39:49 pm »

The 45 is my most used TS lens. I wish the new version would stay at 45mm instead of 50mm. It's a minor difference in FOV yet the 45 was somehow always framing things right for me, even for stitching. But it needs the optical upgrade.
Pages: [1]   Go Up