Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking, and wasting time  (Read 2814 times)

Rob C

Locking, and wasting time
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:22:43 pm »

While I obviously accept the right of the Mods. to lock threads as they see fit, I believe that should be accompanied with more than just the symbol of a little padlock out on the left of the screen. I use my small iPad now more than I do my desktop tower as a way of communicating with LuLa. On this machine, the padlock is absolutely tiny, and I look at threads principally on the basis of the last name to appear as writer. Perhaps an indication there, on the last posted info., might be a good place for a second indication of closure - possibly just red type?

Case in point: I have spent a while writing a considered response to the OP of the Leica thread that, before actually having descended into acrimony, was closed "just in case". To save myself and others the annoyance of finding, after the effort, that the reply won't fly, is it beyond the wonders of digital science to have in place a system that simply won't let you attempt to reply on what turns out to have been a locked thread?

As we appear to be sliding ever closer to political correctness as the guiding light of LuLa, it strikes me that similar incidents of wasted effort and time are likely to increase rather than not.

It could, of course, just be that my post simply coincided with the closing, but it is still damned annoying when things like this happen to one.

Rob

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
Re: Locking, and wasting time
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 02:35:48 pm »

Rob, the thread must have been locked while you were typing. You can't get a window to type a response as soon as the thread is locked.
pieter, aka pegelli

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:19 pm »

...thread that, before actually having descended into acrimony, was closed "just in case"... As we appear to be sliding ever closer to political correctness as the guiding light of LuLa...

You got it all wrong, Rob.

LuLa is simply looking deep into the future, 2054 to be precise, and catching criminals BEFORE they commit a crime ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:57:14 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 03:54:18 pm »

Glad I'm not the only one reaching the point where "LULA Special Large Print Edition!" would be welcome!  LOL  Especially on phones and tablets!

;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 04:00:51 pm »

2054 to be precise, and catching criminals BEFORE they commit a crime ;)
That would be a great technology to perform background checks before being allowed to buy a gun. I wonder what the NRA would make of that ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Telecaster

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 04:40:53 pm »

Introducing oneself to the LuLa forum community with a (thread-starting, mind you) post soaked in resentment, and aimed mainly at the folks who own & run the site, was hardly gonna encourage productive discussion. 'Twas doomed from the git-go IMO. (Ho ho ho!)

Anyway, what is "politically correct" really other than behavior in accordance with norms other than those you yourself value and wish everyone would adhere to;)

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 05:36:14 pm »

Introducing oneself to the LuLa forum community with a (thread-starting, mind you) post soaked in resentment, and aimed mainly at the folks who own & run the site, was hardly gonna encourage productive discussion. 'Twas doomed from the git-go IMO. (Ho ho ho!)

Anyway, what is "politically correct" really other than behavior in accordance with norms other than those you yourself value and wish everyone would adhere to;)

-Dave-

I might be forgiven for thinking that discussion might have been a finer alternative; it's what my choked off response was about.

But there you go: toy computers defeat me, as does the hope that people think a world exists beyond the norms of a convent.

Guess I expect too much.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 04:28:44 am »

Rob, I locked that thread immediately after posting the final message. If you look at the times, you'll know whether or not it was locked while you were typing your response. That would have been unlucky, but you're typing into a static page which can't (so far as I, with limited technical knowledge) be updated to reflect any changes at the mother ship.

Jeremy

vjbelle

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:37:29 pm »

You got it all wrong, Rob.

LuLa is simply looking deep into the future, 2054 to be precise, and catching criminals BEFORE they commit a crime ;)

+1

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »

I also think that locking the thread was not necessary at all;
I read an open discussion about the relevance and contribution of the company Leica to the photographic community, now and then, from different standpoints.
Not saying i found the thread of Joreur a good one, but that can happen.

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2018, 03:08:15 pm »

I also think that locking the thread was not necessary at all;
I read an open discussion about the relevance and contribution of the company Leica to the photographic community, now and then, from different standpoints.
Not saying i found the thread of Joreur a good one, but that can happen.

This for sure could be a worthy & productive discussion. But IMO it needs to be kicked off by encouraging the worthy & productive part…and doing so via example. When a thread starts with a troll post I think the best responses are either to ignore it or mock it into the ground.

-Dave-

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 03:50:47 pm »

This for sure could be a worthy & productive discussion. But IMO it needs to be kicked off by encouraging the worthy & productive part…and doing so via example. When a thread starts with a troll post I think the best responses are either to ignore it or mock it into the ground.

-Dave-

Nothing troll-ish about it. It was a legitimate opinion, shared by many, certainly not deserving to be "mocked into the ground." The best response would be for others to genuinely describe why they love their Leicas, as Keith did (though he couldn't resist the mocking mode). It is unfortunate that we are welcoming a first-time poster with locking his thread.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2018, 03:58:18 pm »

I have to say I enjoyed the thread and was somewhat puzzled when it was locked.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 04:18:16 pm »

I have to say I enjoyed the thread and was somewhat puzzled when it was locked.

I think several folks were!

After all, your photographs mounted a good example of what the camera, in the right hands, can be made to do. If anything, that would have lent strength to the pro-Leica argument.

Hey ho, life is often odd!

:-)

vjbelle

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2018, 04:31:15 pm »

Yes..... locking this thread on 'clairvoyant' grounds seems to be a tad unusual.  Heck.... if I had those clairvoyant skills I wouldn't be wasting my time with a forum but instead looking really hard at the stock market. ;)

Victor
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 04:34:31 pm by vjbelle »

Telecaster

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2018, 03:48:21 pm »

I was up for further mockery myself. Oh well…

-Dave-

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 12:30:33 pm »

Well I missed the whole thread so I had to rush off and find/read it.  I have to admit that I rather enjoyed the banter.  Who knows if it would have fallen into rancor.  It's hardly a new topic mind you, on this or any other mainstream site and seems again to demonstrate the "I" 1st mentality in this social media age.

Keith .. beautiful images.  Somehow you got that jewel to work  :)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 12:34:14 pm »

Well I missed the whole thread so I had to rush off and find/read it.  I have to admit that I rather enjoyed the banter.  Who knows if it would have fallen into rancor.  It's hardly a new topic mind you, on this or any other mainstream site and seems again to demonstrate the "I" 1st mentality in this social media age.

Keith .. beautiful images.  Somehow you got that jewel to work  :)

Thanks Mike.

I'm very happy with the M240, so much so that I bought a second. Used M240 bodies are plentiful at the moment and comparatively good value.
Pages: [1]   Go Up