Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - An Interview With Dr. Andreas Kaufmann  (Read 3063 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Just Published - An Interview With Dr. Andreas Kaufmann
« on: March 26, 2018, 07:47:35 am »

I just posted a Interview With Dr. Andreas Kaufmann.  We discuss so much.  If you are a Leica enthusiast you'll like this.  Please enjoy!
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Just Published - An Interview With Dr. Andreas Kaufmann
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:17:12 am »

Most interesting discussion Kevin, really appreciated.

As I was watching and listening, it took my mind back to thinking of the recent history of technical change in this industry - how some companies were able to make it work for them and others not. It makes one think about the ingredients of survival and prosperity, for example the importance of foresight, imaginative management, cohesiveness of management and expert staff, nimble-mindedness, how scale may affect these factors, relationships and understandings between the company and its customers and how to grow them. All truly insightful.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 02:51:16 pm »

This last episode was by far the most enjoyable one for me :)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 01:48:33 pm »

Well, I‘m not a Leica enthusiast, but I enjoyed it anyway. Hope that‘s ok  :)
--
David Mantripp

skirkp

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 05:43:29 pm »

I really enjoyed this interview.  It gave a bigger picture and a better understanding of what the evolution of Leica over the past 10-15 years might have been like.  Dr. Kaufman seems like an interesting person to talk to, with or without an NDA in place.

Just as he mentioned what might be ready for announcement at the July 2018 Leica Park events, there was a cut in the video.  It was not clear whether he was saying that there would be news about the TL2 product which he was holding, or that the new news would be somewhere in the space of products with an L mount, but not necessarily the T family.  Can you clarify what he meant to say more fully?

Jeff

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 02:17:04 am »

It was not clear whether he was saying that there would be news about the TL2 product which he was holding, or that the new news would be somewhere in the space of products with an L mount, but not necessarily the T family.  Can you clarify what he meant to say more fully?
My immediate thought was he was giving us an hint / teaser and that it will be to do with a lens mount.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 02:49:17 am »

Thanks for this interview. I don't own a Leica, and likely will never own one, but it's good there're some dedicated people in the board. I remember in the early 2000s I told everybody "Leica" is just a myth; sometimes some fresh blood really is necessary. Being German it's also good to see that there are still some investors around with a vision. Thanks again for the insight.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:07:46 pm »

Well, I‘m not a Leica enthusiast, but I enjoyed it anyway. Hope that‘s ok  :)

I agree, and I couldn't say it better.

adias

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 01:55:06 pm »

The FULL Leica series videos are available for ALL on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZJ_7OkjIqRQo263YQD0xB1JitY4m_afe

I thought that these videos were only accessible by LuLa subscribers. What changed?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 11:11:37 am »

The couple of threads here on the series of meetings with Leica seem to have focused more on the whole idea of doing the series and on the hardware, but very much less on the cultural side of what Leica stands for and the contribution the company has made to the culture of photography. Part of Kevin's discussion with Dr. Kaufmann was exactly on this subject, and one item in particular that attracted my attention was the mention of the "Eyes Wide Open!" book, published and manufactured in Germany by Kehrer commemorating 100 years of Leica. When I looked it up and saw that it is big, heavy and expensive I wondered whether I should buy it, but decided to make the plunge and did so. I'm very pleased that I did. Notwithstanding that my photography library already has "75 Years of Leica Photography" and the now historical Dr. Paul Wolff book "Meine Erfahrungen mit der Leica", published 1934, this latest volume from Kehrer is the most comprehensive and sumptuous of the lot. For those interested, I can highly recommend it - very informative essays (for example, did you know that the optical side of it began back in 1849?), a well curated selection of photographs (major orientation to European photographic culture), creative layouts and high quality print job. The second revised edition of 2017 is the one now available.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up