Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Just Published - Rediscover Understanding MTF Charts  (Read 9236 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Just Published - Rediscover Understanding MTF Charts
« on: March 23, 2018, 05:49:30 pm »

We just published another in our continuing series of the Rediscover series, this one about MTF Charts and understanding them.  There are many people that find MTFs hard to understand and with this article you should be able to understand MTF charts and how they can help you understand the performance of a lens. Check it out HERE.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
Re: Just Published - Rediscover Understanding MTF Charts
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 06:12:51 pm »

I don't wanna know.  Can you dig it?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 06:45:07 pm »

I don't wanna know.  Can you dig it?

Is this supposed to be a joke or are you trying to say something serious? What's the point?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DougDolde

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:57:23 pm »

No joke I just am not interested in reading an MTF chart. 

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:00:29 pm »

Are you trying to infer that because YOU aren't interested in this material it shouldn't be published? Or are you OK with it being published because other people may find it instructive?

Farmer

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 07:25:45 pm »

Doug - I don't want to read that you don't want to read.  Dig it?
Phil Brown

DougDolde

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 08:39:54 pm »

Are you trying to infer that because YOU aren't interested in this material it shouldn't be published? Or are you OK with it being published because other people may find it instructive?

What is your problem or are you just a natural troll?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 08:42:17 pm »

I don't have a problem, I'm trying to understand what motivated your initial post. Personal attacks are not tolerated on this website.

DougDolde

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 08:49:14 pm »

I don't think I owe anyone an explanation. You are reading things into it that I never said.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 08:54:26 pm »

I don't think I owe anyone an explanation. You are reading things into it that I never said.

Nope, not reading anything into anything; I just asked you several questions to clarify where you are coming from, but it is indeed your privilege not to answer them, devoid of personal insults of course.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 04:01:02 am »

What is your problem or are you just a natural troll?

Doug, you are contributing nothing useful to this thread and that remark is gratuitously offensive. You are banned from posting for a week.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 06:11:14 am »

Doug, you are contributing nothing useful to this thread and that remark is gratuitously offensive. You are banned from posting for a week.

Jeremy

That's a bit unkind; after all, he only said he had no interest in such charts.

There may be an interpretation difficulty (a little as in wardrobe malfunction) with the "Can you dig it?" sentence, which to me, comes over as nothing more than an alternative to "Would you believe it?". (And yes, he did not begin with any apparent intent to attack; if anything, it could be read that the attck came to him, first.)

And personally speaking, yes I can believe it. I have zero interest in charts either, because due to my too many years in this photographic life I have come to realise that most of the stuff written about lenses and their characteristics makes no difference at all in any real-life situation. Two fashion shots, one made with a Rollei armed with a 2.8/Sonnar and the other through a second Rollei with its Schneider alternative would be indistinguishable beyond model pose variation. I suggest that the people who obsess over these charts and tests and experiments are not actually all that interested in photographs as photographs, but more so as in test vehicles for their overarching interest in science above art.

Which is perfectly okay too, with the proviso that it should not be assumed (or even implied) that those people are greater or more dedicated photographers than those who just want a tool that works for them.

As Alan said, a tough life in the hot seat...

;-)

Rob

tsjanik

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:24 am »

I naively opened this thread thinking it was discussion of the article and it was my intention to comment on how much I enjoyed Michael's writing.  I certainly miss his contributions to this site.    As to the actual topic of this thread: the snarky comment should have gotten the response it warrants which, in my mind, is to ignore.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 09:03:58 am »

I think we should all understand and accept several basic principles, including but not limited to:

(1) There is something to be said for dignified tolerance.This website caters to a very large number of people who have all manner of different interests in the vast and multi-faceted world of photography. Some things interest some people more or less than others, and Kevin is doing his best to reflect that with the variety of material from the artistic to the scientific published here. Any one who doesn't get warm and fuzzy over a particular topic, say MTF charts, is free to not read about them. 

(2) Insulting other members is against the rules and even if there were no rules, it's common decency not to go there. Unfortunately, decorum in public discourse can't be taken for granted these days, so it's necessary to protect acceptable standards of conversation.

(3) Our unfortunately departed founder built this website on the basis of writings about artistic and scientific aspects of photography that are classic - in the sense that they will not lose their timeliness or utility any time soon. Kevin thought it fitting and useful to bring back a curated number of these articles, of which some will be of more or less interest to different people; this too should be respected as a matter of interest to the membership as a whole and an on-going tribute to our founder, regardless of whether a number of members warm-up to a particular topic or not.

Turning to the particular matter at hand - MTF charts - yes, not everyone's piece of cake, not something to ruminate about in the field making photos, but definitely very useful when deciding what lens to buy. A time and place for everything.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:33 am »

MTF=Modulation Transfer Function

As mhelm pointed out, the acronym “MTF” should be defined, preferably at the beginning of the article. Funny how often this happens, an explanation of something that is identified only by an acronym.

As for the comment by DougDolde, I don’t sense any sarcasm. A bit of fun, yes. As Rob pointed out, not all photographers are fascinated by technology. Reading the comment I admit to a sense kinship.

It seems the current zeitgeist for sensitivity is in LuLa too.  :D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 09:27:20 am »

And here I thought the latest post in the Coffee Corner about guns is going to be controversial ... lemme go make some popcorn for this one too.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:29 am »

:-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 09:48:22 am »

Is this supposed to be a joke or are you trying to say something serious? What's the point?

No joke, and the point is Doug simply answered the question:

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2018, 09:54:29 am »

Slobodan,

Reply #13 says all I intend to say about this topic. I've got a ton of productive stuff to do today, so I'm signing-off it.

jeremyrh

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2018, 10:14:12 am »

I think we should all understand and accept several basic principles,

One of which is that abbreviated writing in an internet forum is a poor medium of communication lacking nuance and inviting misunderstanding. What did Doug's original post mean - is anybody sure?  Did it merit all this self-righteous jumping up and down? Hard to believe!!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up