Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon ipf6300 - Replace Printhead or Buy New Printer?  (Read 4344 times)

John Hollenberg

Canon ipf6300 - Replace Printhead or Buy New Printer?
« on: March 18, 2018, 11:42:59 am »

My Canon ipf6300 now insists I replace the right printhead, as several cleanings did not get it to pass the nozzle check.  I have several options now:

1) Replace the printhead
2) Replace both printheads because the second is likely to go soon
3) Replace the printer with a Canon P2000
4) Replace the printer with an Epson P7000

I print landscape and wildlife photos for my enjoyment as photography is a just an expensive hobby.  Print exclusively on roll paper, rarely print on matte papers.  Don't like the fact that Canon appears to be significantly less archival from the limited available data.  On the other hand, concerned about potential for clogs with the Epson (humidity can get quite low in Los Angeles), although could easily set up Windows to make a scheduled print every few days.

I have a few questions:

1) Is the print quality of the newer printers significantly improved over the ipf6300?  Money is not a significant factor if the print quality is noticeably better.
2) I understand prints can be stored on the hard disk on the Canon allowing very easy reprints.  Is the same true for the Epson?
3) Is loading rolls without paper skew easier on the Canon or the Epson or are they about the same?
4) Given my intended use of the printer, what course of action do you recommend?

Thanks.

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Canon ipf6300 - Replace Printhead or Buy New Printer?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 12:24:49 pm »

A friend is not so happy with the greens of the iP Pro 4000 on the matte art papers he uses. Not the saturated greens of the iPF8300/8400/9400 he also had/has.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 12:59:20 pm »

I use an ipf8300 for printing and have replaced both heads twice. Like you, each time I considered going to different printer, and each time I chose not to. I think the color gamut of the ipfx300 series & inks still provides state-of-the-art quality. The P1000 inkset does not have a green primary, correct? That may be a consideration for your landscape work.

The head changes are very easy, and keep in mind calibration afterward is required, so have the apporopriate paper loaded.
~ CB

dc

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:40:16 pm »

John, I replaced my ipf6300 5 months ago with a pro-4000 and never looked back. I had early on, a faulty main board and extras. Paid around 1000 for this fix. This bought me 5 more years, then started getting oddball errors. which culminated in replacing one the the printheads. This seemed to fix things but only briefly. then another error which could be anywhere in the electrical system including the other printhead. I decided to pull the plug on the 7 yr old mechanical and electrical tech and sold it plus extra ink for $500.

I would have just replaced it with the pro-2000 but had a little extra cash so I went bigger! Did not really look at the epson offerings.

Doug

arobinson7547

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 03:19:16 pm »

It's really not that bad having the Replace those Cannon Head(s). Especially when that is the only problem. It's not too much money (relative) and you can easily do it yourself.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »

Don't like the fact that Canon appears to be significantly less archival from the limited available data.  On the other hand, concerned about potential for clogs with the Epson (humidity can get quite low in Los Angeles), although could easily set up Windows to make a scheduled print every few days.
  Print quality of the 6300 is very good, and while the new printers have a slight measurable edge, detectable differences would be difficult without direct side by side comparison. I guess the printer is starting to age and the thought of have to replace the second one might make the investment in a new printer a worthwhile consideration, but replacing the printhead is certainly a logical conclusion.

Regarding longevity, yes it seems Canon for some inexplicable reason took a step backwards with the 2000 and 4000.  Odd that Canon and Epson have switched positions, with HP still at the top.  I guess Canon users can approach it much like Epson users have, and be satisfied with the fact it's still good and far better than chromogenic prints at this point in time. 

The p series Epsons seem to have made significant progress regarding missing nozzles.  I no longer keep a humidifier going, and winters in Utah with forced air heating are extremely dry, yet I seldom need to address a missing nozzle in either my p5000 or p9000. The real difference is the Canon still does a good job at doing this on it's own and really not bothering the user, with Epson I still perform manual checks and don't really let the printer manage this even though the auto nozzle detect function seems to work very well and not really be plagued with false positives.  I'm about to turn this feature on using the occasional setting to see how well it really works.

I think the Epson paper handling is better than the Canon, skewing is pretty rare and the straight paper path is nice. Obviously the issue of MK/PK could important if you change inks a lot.  I change mine out sometimes and the new setting to use less ink seems to work quite well, but it still takes some ink to change them.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »

I went into service mode of my ipf6300 and printed a nozzle check.  In service mode nozzles are not remapped, so you can see how many are clogged.  I can't see any missing segments, which leads me to wonder if there could be a problem with the main board rather than the printhead.  I certainly don't want to spend $425 on a new printhead and find that it doesn't fix the problem!  Back in regular mode when I tried to print again I got the same message "Replace right printhead" and the job is canceled by the printer.  Any insight appreciated.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:39:02 pm »

I searched the web and found some relevant info here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/replacing-canon-large-format-printheads-ipf8300-pf05/

On careful inspection it appears I have the same problem described in the article--the lower half of the magenta nozzle check is significantly fainter than the upper half.  So it appears this is a printhead failure, not something worse.

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 12:59:27 pm »

If you did the nozzle checks and cleanings to try fixing the color issue and nothing gets it working, best option is to check with Canon and have them go through a diagnosis with you to determine the problem.  If it happens to be a head issue, they will most likely send you a replacement head at no charge (depends on how long you've had the head since these are consumer replaceable and have a 1-year warranty aside from the printer).

Nice part with the new Pro series is that it's now a single (larger) head and is slightly less expensive than 2 heads from the older models.  Since Canon DID replace the Green with Chroma Optimizer, you can get the green the easiest from the other colors mixing.

So, basically if the print head is the reason for the issues and you replace it, you may be able to continue using the printer until it's to the point of dying or what not; OR, the print head may not resolve the issue and time for a new printer.  As I mentioned earlier, call Canon and have them check everything with you to see if it's probably good to do a replacement head or to the point of not good on repairing the unit (or head replacement) and get a new one.  This will save money in the long run and hopefully time with questions/suggestions.

Canon: 800-423-2366

patjoja

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 04:04:52 pm »

I went into service mode of my ipf6300 and printed a nozzle check.  In service mode nozzles are not remapped, so you can see how many are clogged.  I can't see any missing segments, which leads me to wonder if there could be a problem with the main board rather than the printhead.  I certainly don't want to spend $425 on a new printhead and find that it doesn't fix the problem!  Back in regular mode when I tried to print again I got the same message "Replace right printhead" and the job is canceled by the printer.  Any insight appreciated.

Hi John,

I just went through the decision of replacing the print head on my iPF6450 or replacing the printer.  I opted for replacing the print head.  It's really an easy fix, although an expensive one.  I also got several different messages on power down and powering up again, but in the end it was the print head.

My reasoning for just replacing the print head was primarily cost (and some angst about disposing of a large piece of hardware that was otherwise working fine).

If you check Amazon prime you should be able to find the Canon PF-05 print head for about $350.  I opted to buy 2 print heads with the thought that i'd have one on hand when the second one goes out.

Regards,

Patrick
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 04:10:35 pm by patjoja »

John Hollenberg

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:07:27 pm »

Thanks for the link to Amazon, looks like a very good price.  My printhead is definitely out of warranty, I have decided to replace it and keep the printer going for a while.  I do have a couple of other questions:

1) How much ink is used replacing a printhead? 
2) Does it only use ink from the 6 colors used for that printhead? (need to have spare cartridges handy)
3) How much of the maintenance tank gets used up with the replacement?
4) Any reason to consider replacing the other printhead at the same time figuring it is about to go?

Thanks.

patjoja

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 01:45:58 am »

Thanks for the link to Amazon, looks like a very good price.  My printhead is definitely out of warranty, I have decided to replace it and keep the printer going for a while.  I do have a couple of other questions:

1) How much ink is used replacing a printhead? 
2) Does it only use ink from the 6 colors used for that printhead? (need to have spare cartridges handy)
3) How much of the maintenance tank gets used up with the replacement?
4) Any reason to consider replacing the other printhead at the same time figuring it is about to go?

Thanks.

You will need to check your ink levels and make sure you have cartridges on hand for the initial fill, if required.  If your maintenance cartridge is nearly full, you should probably have one of those on hand too.  I bought a new maintenance cartridge from IT Supplies for $20.

Regarding replacing both print heads, I would wait until the printer tells you to do so.

Patrick

John Hollenberg

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 12:58:03 pm »

Decided to keep the ipf6300 running.  Installed new printhead, along the way printer asked me to replace two ink tanks that had run out (which I had on hand as I saw they were getting low).  Used about 20% of the maintenance cartridge (40% remaining down to 20% remaining) doing the replacement.  After alignment and calibration I printed my standard evaluation image to compare colors - spot on compared to print from before the printhead replacement.  Spent about $600 for ink and printhead to revive the printer, a lot cheaper than getting a new printer and now most of my inks are fairly full. Everything went very smoothly.  Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

mearussi

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 05:33:16 pm »

In my research as to which new printer to buy (Epson vs Canon) I got to talk to a Canon repair tech who mentioned that proper maintenance is to automatically replace the print heads every two years even if they seemed fine.

It seems that even though the heads still work, as one nozzle after another goes out (meaning they stay on all the time and are drawing current) over time the gradually increasing current load, which has to go through the main control circuit board, causes it to get hotter and hotter eventually damaging it to the point where it also needs replacing. But by changing the heads every two years this can be avoided.

No one likes to hear this, of course, as it means Canon owners have to spend $900 every two years, which significantly raises the cost of ownership. But having to replace the controller board along with the heads is even more expensive.

BTW, I'm now saving up for a Epson, not only for this reason but also for the straight through printing path and the 200 year (Epson) vs 40 year (new Canon ink) display life.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 06:31:52 pm »

In my research as to which new printer to buy (Epson vs Canon) I got to talk to a Canon repair tech who mentioned that proper maintenance is to automatically replace the print heads every two years even if they seemed fine.

It seems that even though the heads still work, as one nozzle after another goes out (meaning they stay on all the time and are drawing current) over time the gradually increasing current load, which has to go through the main control circuit board, causes it to get hotter and hotter eventually damaging it to the point where it also needs replacing. But by changing the heads every two years this can be avoided.

While I am sure this can happen, my guess is that he sees a skewed sample.  He doesn't get called in where there isn't a problem.  I will take my chances.  If the main board dies I will buy an Epson P7000.

Doug Gray

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2018, 06:37:26 pm »

While I am sure this can happen, my guess is that he sees a skewed sample.  He doesn't get called in where there isn't a problem.  I will take my chances.  If the main board dies I will buy an Epson P7000.

Might be worth it to hook up a watt meter to the printer and see what's going on over time. If the power is increasing enough to burn out the main board we are likely talking a total of >10 watts increase. This sounds really strange.

MHMG

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2018, 07:29:08 pm »

BTW, I'm now saving up for a Epson, not only for this reason but also for the straight through printing path and the 200 year (Epson) vs 40 year (new Canon ink) display life.

I do think Canon is in third place now, but I doubt it's a 40:200 ratio between Canon and Epson latest ink sets. And it's highly media dependent. Just sayin.. published results to date are somewhat dubious for both the new Canon and Epson ink sets.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

mearussi

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2018, 10:32:57 pm »

I do think Canon is in third place now, but I doubt it's a 40:200 ratio between Canon and Epson latest ink sets. And it's highly media dependent. Just sayin.. published results to date are somewhat dubious for both the new Canon and Epson ink sets.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
It's just from what I've heard so far, but I am eagerly awaiting your final test results.

enduser

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2018, 08:00:01 pm »

Some technically minded users on the Canon wiki inserted a fuse in the current supply line of the iPF printers main board and thus the fuse blows before the board. One user actually extended the wiring to the outside of the printer for easy fuse changes.
The real problem is not changing fuses (why do they blow?)  There should be an error turn up on the screen that says "High current - change head", or some such.
Pages: [1]   Go Up