Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone having problem with i1Pro2 scratching targets while making measurements?  (Read 2711 times)

digitaldog

• http://www.digitaldog.net/

Your habit of attacking others to try to win discussions has a tendency to turn them into arguments and is what is really dreary.
Attacking or just pointing to confused, contradictory, assumed and wrong text out for your readers? You have every right to be upset (at yourself). Let's just examine your own posting here so I can ask you to make up your minds. I'll add formatting to focus your attention if possible:

6 of one, half doz of other.
Then the FUD comes:
Your method works, but needs a lot of manual adjustment of UI and is prone to errors.  Turning page over works,...no problem.
If you have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, just chew gum.  :D
While you can switch back to page 1 and then read line 19, move the UI line from 20 up to 18, read, move UI line from 19 up to 17, etc, it is a PITA.
When people (amateurs usually) state that color management is difficult (PITA), I have to ask, compared to what?
Your text vacillates as the example above & below illustrate. I therefore will not ask you what you want to be when you grow up.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 11:56:00 AM by digitaldog »
Andrew Rodney
Author “Color Management for Photographers"

Louie

Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback. It seems that this is a some what common problem given the range of solutions offered.

Just to clarify I am using i1Profiler to read my charts.

I have not tried reading from the bottom but I am not sure that will help. I think that the papers in question simply lift up too much in the center to clear edge of the nose cone. And even with being very careful to use light pressure when scanning as also suggested by X-rite customer service  I still get some scratches especially in the middle part of the paper.

It seems to me that the current design may simply not able to handle paper that is unable to lie almost perfectly flat on the table. The previous ruler design that provided a slot for the nose cone was better in this regard. But maybe that design had other issues.

I am also experiencing a problem with the read button occasionally sticking and causing the software to go into bell ringing seizures at the end of a line until I can get it unstuck. So the device is going back today to have the button and the ruler looked at under warranty.

Ill post back what I hear.

tks, louie

jrsforums

Attacking or just pointing to confused, contradictory, assumed and wrong text out for your readers? You have every right to be upset (at yourself). Let's just examine your own posting here so I can ask you to make up your minds. I'll add formatting to focus your attention if possible:
Then the FUD comes:If you have trouble walking and chewing gum at the same time, just chew gum.  :D  When people (amateurs usually) state that color management is difficult (PITA), I have to ask, compared to what?
Your text vacillates as the example above & below illustrate. I therefore will not ask you what you want to be when you grow up.

Another attack, rather than responding with any fact.  You just need to feel and be perceived as so superior (particularly “amateurs usually”). 

I pointed out that you method was difficult to use based on UI , whether single or multi page, and you didn’t like it.

What you call “vacillating” was just my attempt to nicely offer an alternative and not just directly say you were wrong.  When I say I am working from memory (which I later verified after your attacking), I am just admitting that I could be wrong, which you obviously are never willing to admit.  Very “Trump-ian”
John

digitaldog

Very “Trump-ian”
Ouch and touché  ;D 
I am just admitting that I could be wrong, which you obviously are never willing to admit.
Another assumption. Enough said.
Andrew Rodney

Louie

Andrew and John,

You both have provided useful information so please just agree to disagree.

Thank you both.

-louie

digitaldog

You both have provided useful information so please just agree to disagree.
+1
Doug's trick is a good one but you may also wish to try what are called "Mouse Dots"
http://catalog.cshyde.com/viewitems/-c4-ngen-mouseware-gear-mouse-tape-discs-1/4-ngen-mouseware-gear-mouse-tape-discs-mouse-discs
I've used them on my iO table, under the guides for the i1 Pro Spectrophotometer because like your issue, it was dragging onto the prints depending on how far it moved from it's home base. You just stick them onto the surface of the plastic and the Teflon 'dots' slide very nicely and add just a tiny bit of height depending on how many you apply. Very inexpensive and perhaps a more permanent fix. 
Andrew Rodney

Louie

Thanks these look like a possible solution as well.

Doug's trick is a good one but you may also wish to try what are called "Mouse Dots"

Nickilford

I recently purchased a new i1Pro2 and started making some profiles for my two printers. I am trying out two Red River papers Ultra Pro Satin and Palo Dura Satin as inexpensive proofing papers to proof prints before printing on the expensive cotton rag papers.

I let the targets dry down for a minimum of 24 hours before making the measurements. Even so I notice that the target print is slightly warped and tends to lift up off the reading table in the center. Apparently this is enough so that the edge of the nosecone furthest from the ruler will scrape away thin lines of ink from the paper surface.

These are both relative thin papers, 10mil, I believe and it seems that the amount of ink being laid down is causing the paper to distort. I do not have this problem with any of the thicker cotton based papers.

I opened a support ticket with X-Rite and they have not said one way or another if this is a problem.

I do recall that the previous i1Pro ruler had a slot that held the paper flat on both sides of the row being read. So I even tried placing a ruler on the other side. This helped but does not eliminate the problem.

I suppose I could file down the corner edge of the nosecone and see it that helps but I wanted to see if this has happened to any one else first.

tks, louie

I had this happen once but turned out be I profiled the paper with the wrong black in. It was a baryta paper and by mistake I printed using matte black ink. After i corrected this no scratching occurred.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up