Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemühle Paper Settings for Canon  (Read 5908 times)

mattpat

Hahnemühle Paper Settings for Canon
« on: March 12, 2018, 10:23:20 pm »

Hey folks,

I've been working my way through a few Hahnemühle sample packs, and I wanted to compare notes on appropriate printer settings for a Canon Pro-4000.

Hahnemühle seems to recommend using, as a base paper, Heavyweight Fine Art for all of their matte black papers, and Premium Semigloss 2 280gsm for all of their photo black papers. This just doesn't seem quite right to me (and some band-y prints on a couple of sheets seem to confirm that), especially when it comes to lightweight papers like the 100gsm Rice Paper.

Is there a good resource for making these kinds of determinations when the printer manufacturer is… less than detailed? Or is it mostly trial-and-error?

-Matt

loganross

Re: Hahnemühle Paper Settings for Canon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:57:07 pm »

Interesting. For the Pro -1000, they recommend pro platinum for all glossy, and heaviest density fine art for all matte.

I am in the process of building customer media types now. For glossy, in the MCT tool, I use heavyweight photo (max ink, medium high print head since the Hahnenuhle fine art glossy papers are thick).  For matte, I am creating two media types for each paper to determine which one yields the best results.  Specifically, one uses matte black only, and the other allows matte black and photo black to be used.  In both cases, configuring for Max ink and high print head height.  Let's see how it goes ! 😁

Hey folks,

I've been working my way through a few Hahnemühle sample packs, and I wanted to compare notes on appropriate printer settings for a Canon Pro-4000.

Hahnemühle seems to recommend using, as a base paper, Heavyweight Fine Art for all of their matte black papers, and Premium Semigloss 2 280gsm for all of their photo black papers. This just doesn't seem quite right to me (and some band-y prints on a couple of sheets seem to confirm that), especially when it comes to lightweight papers like the 100gsm Rice Paper.

Is there a good resource for making these kinds of determinations when the printer manufacturer is… less than detailed? Or is it mostly trial-and-error?

-Matt

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:13:13 pm »

You can check through my various paper reviews and Pro-1000 and Pro-2000 reviews on this website to see which Media Types I used for the various papers I tested with those printers while I still had it. I generally followed Canon's recommendations and those all did a good job.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

loganross

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:54 pm »

Yes.  This makes sense.  The main reason I create custom media types to to account for the fact that there are differences between the head height Canon recommends for specific papers and the the generic media types the paper manufacturers use.  For example, Hahnemuhle recommends you use the Canon Pro Platinum Media type for their thick fine art glossy papers and then check "Avoid Abrasion" in the print driver when you print.  Pro Platinum uses a low print head height.  So I create a custom media type replicating pro platinum, but changing the head height to an appropriate level.

You can check through my various paper reviews and Pro-1000 and Pro-2000 reviews on this website to see which Media Types I used for the various papers I tested with those printers while I still had it. I generally followed Canon's recommendations and those all did a good job.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 10:49:05 pm »

Also makes sense.

mattpat

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:48:51 pm »

Glad to hear there's some information here on Luminous Landscape about it!

In terms of head height, I usually just make sure that my custom media is set to "Automatic," which I presumed would take a measurement of each sheet/roll as it was fed. Is that a poor assumption? Is there a benefit (besides print start-up time) to specifying a head height, assuming it doesn't appear that the printer is getting it wrong?

loganross

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:16 am »

Hi. I have never seen an option for automatic.  Where do you see it?

Glad to hear there's some information here on Luminous Landscape about it!

In terms of head height, I usually just make sure that my custom media is set to "Automatic," which I presumed would take a measurement of each sheet/roll as it was fed. Is that a poor assumption? Is there a benefit (besides print start-up time) to specifying a head height, assuming it doesn't appear that the printer is getting it wrong?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:57 am »

If you set a Media Type in the driver that has a paper thickness about the same as that of the paper you will be printing with and the Media Type is otherwise about consistent with that paper, the driver will set the head height appropriately and the ink laydown should be OK. Otherwise you need to use the MCT to configure a custom Media Type that works for both the thickness and coating of the paper you are using.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 09:15:07 am »

Hi. I have never seen an option for automatic.  Where do you see it?
I believe it's a feature of the roll models only:
http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/All/PRO-2000/EN/LBGB/tp000333.html
Look at the second "Note" in the above page.

loganross

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 03:56:33 pm »

Thanks. I didn't see it as an option on the 1000.  Thanks to you as well Mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up