Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filter System: NiSi V5 Pro vs. Wine Country  (Read 13749 times)

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
Filter System: NiSi V5 Pro vs. Wine Country
« on: March 09, 2018, 07:42:42 pm »

I am upgrading my filter holder, and trying to decide between the NiSi and Wine Country.  Kevin did a review of the Wine Country system, but I haven't heard much discussion of the NiSi, and how they compare:

I am aware of the aesthetic issue: wood grain vs. black.  A matter of personal taste, and what you can tolerate I guess.

Do the filter vaults of the WC system add significant benefit?

Are there differences in the polarizer, and the gearing mechanism used to control it?

NiSi seems to have a couple of nice cases designed to fit the holder and a selection of filters.  I didn't see any mention of a case for the WC holder.  The Kinesis filter pouch offered by WC seems less substantial than the NiSi offerings.

Both claim to offer ND filters with essentially no color shift.  Any experience?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:46:30 pm by drralph »

John Cothron

• Cothron Photography
Re: Filter System: NiSi V5 Pro vs. Wine Country
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 07:52:35 pm »

I can't speak to either of those two other than to say that Wine Country's holder is beautiful although it appears to be a little bulky.

I would suggest that you take a close look at Breakthrough Photography if you haven't done so. I can confirm no color shift with the 10,6, and 3 stop ND. I can also say their holder system is first rate, and not any bulkier than it has to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
John
Flickr

Cornfield

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 10:13:58 am »

I have the Nisi V5 holder and also the 150mm holder for the Nikon 14-24.  Both holders are excellent and better than the Lee system I owned previously.  Nisi produce first class products and they come with great cases.  The V5 has a built in polariser that is very easy to use by turning the small wheel just behind the holder.

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:18:51 am »

I also have the Breakthrough filters and holder. I am very pleased with the results. I have the 3, 6 and 10 stop ND and the 2 and 3 stop GND.

Steven

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:50:40 am »

I'm hoping breakthrough will make a hood and 4mm slots for the holder.

I've sent some feedback on a couple of things to them, and asked if they are considering the above.
They have not yet acknowledged either way.

I like the holder, but until I have a 4mm slot, it means I have to carry two holder systems with me...
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 03:11:42 am »

drralph

• Ralph's Instagram
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:42 pm »

Here's a look at Ni Si :   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=18&v=u8ITT-9tIBA

The NiSi S5 looks fabulous, but I don't currently have a lens that requires 150 mm filters.  Is the functionality of the V5 similar?
Pages: [1]   Go Up