Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony FE cameras  (Read 2287 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
Sony FE cameras
« on: March 08, 2018, 04:07:06 pm »

I currently use a Sony a6500 which satisfies my image quality needs. But there is one thing that is difficult for me to accept, and that is the wake up time from the sleep/power save mode. The camera simply takes too long to be ready for picture taking. Currently I try to remember to tap the shutter button before lifting the camera to my eye, but even then sometimes it is just not ready/powered up sufficiently to take a photo immediately.

My question is: Do the a7III, A7RIII or the a9 wake from the power save mode with immediacy, like a DSLR does?

viewfinder

Re: Sony FE cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 03:37:32 am »

Since nobody has replied to your post............I currently use a Sony a6000 which is very similar to your camera appart from lacking the 'moving sensor' anti shake facility (and being one third the price of a6500!)    Wake up from sleep mode is very fast and even from power off is quite quick, however I have noticed that in cold conditions wake-up is considerably slower and lethargic.    I seem to remember reading somewhere on the web that moving sensor cameras take longer to come alive due to the sensor mech. having to register itself ready for use, so that might be a problem with the Sony models thus equipped.

.....Bye and large I like the a6000 which produces excellent images and is nice to use, the only drawback for me is poor battery life as with the NEX model I used previously.  It is essential to carry several batteries and power loss appears to start as soon as battery is installed so I have got into the habit of carrying batteries separately and only installing one when I am ready to use the camera otherwise battery life has already started to drain away annoyingly.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 07:41:48 am »

Since nobody has replied to your post............I currently use a Sony a6000 which is very similar to your camera appart from lacking the 'moving sensor' anti shake facility (and being one third the price of a6500!)    Wake up from sleep mode is very fast and even from power off is quite quick, however I have noticed that in cold conditions wake-up is considerably slower and lethargic.    I seem to remember reading somewhere on the web that moving sensor cameras take longer to come alive due to the sensor mech. having to register itself ready for use, so that might be a problem with the Sony models thus equipped.

.....Bye and large I like the a6000 which produces excellent images and is nice to use, the only drawback for me is poor battery life as with the NEX model I used previously.  It is essential to carry several batteries and power loss appears to start as soon as battery is installed so I have got into the habit of carrying batteries separately and only installing one when I am ready to use the camera otherwise battery life has already started to drain away annoyingly.

I upgraded from the a6000 to the a6500 mainly for the image quality improvements Sony made with the a6500. And while I think the newer camera is a better all around machine, I agree with you that the built in IBIS is probably the reason why the a6500 is slower to start up from the power save mode. So I'm curious how the FE cameras, which also have IBIS, power up from the sleep mode. I would expect the A9 to be very responsive for obvious reasons, but I'm more interested in the A7 models.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 01:31:25 pm »

Through these years I've learned that the only thing that digital will never match or surpass, is the immediacy of the film cameras. Bummer!

viewfinder

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:30:39 am »

It depends what "immediacy" means to a particular photographer......I've not missed any shot waiting for the (digital) camera to react or come alive but I well remember the feeling when waiting for rewind to complete with the new cassette in one hand and eyes on the action watching the lost shots.........

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 05:11:50 am »

It depends what "immediacy" means to a particular photographer......I've not missed any shot waiting for the (digital) camera to react or come alive but I well remember the feeling when waiting for rewind to complete with the new cassette in one hand and eyes on the action watching the lost shots.........

OMG, LOL, love this!
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 03:16:27 pm »

Even worse when the rewind is manual and the camera is a Contax rangefinder with a (rather stiff) rewind thumbwheel:-\

-Dave-

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 11:51:51 am »

So only film cameras are slower than Sony FE cameras, then. Okay.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2018, 01:07:59 pm »

So only film cameras are slower than Sony FE cameras, then. Okay.
I would come to a different conclusion from what was said.

Film cameras are usually faster than digital for 36 shots, but considerably slower for the 37th. I think this is general, not limited to Sony FE cameras.

I've been photographing since 1968 and went digital in 2006 and have used a large variety of brands and types of cameras (only 35 mm/APS-C, never MF or LF)

In my film days I have missed many opportunities for a shot because I forgot to wind the camera to the next shot or I had to change the film.
Since going digital I have not missed a shot due to a too slow wake-up time of my camera (both with and w/o IBIS sensors), but I have no experience with Sony FE cameras with IBIS.
pieter, aka pegelli

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2018, 01:59:08 pm »

I would come to a different conclusion from what was said.

Film cameras are usually faster than digital for 36 shots, but considerably slower for the 37th. I think this is general, not limited to Sony FE cameras.

I've been photographing since 1968 and went digital in 2006 and have used a large variety of brands and types of cameras (only 35 mm/APS-C, never MF or LF)

In my film days I have missed many opportunities for a shot because I forgot to wind the camera to the next shot or I had to change the film.
Since going digital I have not missed a shot due to a too slow wake-up time of my camera (both with and w/o IBIS sensors), but I have no experience with Sony FE cameras with IBIS.
I have a Canon F-1 and a Nikon FM2, and I also have a Nikon D750 which is easily as quick as the two film cameras. I’m using the D750 as a basis for determining an acceptable response by a digital camera to my use. Obviously other LuLa readers have different priorities but we would expect Sony or any other brand to design cameras for a wide photographer demographic.

So the Sony a6xxx cameras have been a bit frustrating even though I like the small size and lighter weight. The response time by a camera to a photographer’s use is one thing that Sony seems to not understand, unlike Canon and Nikon. Like you (and many others here,) I spent many years using film, always having a camera that was ready at my beck and call. I don’t want to have to wait for a camera to be ready. So I guess I’ll wait for the future.  :D

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2018, 02:12:30 pm »

I have a Canon F-1 and a Nikon FM2, and I also have a Nikon D750 which is easily as quick as the two film cameras. I’m using the D750 as a basis for determining an acceptable response by a digital camera to my use. Obviously other LuLa readers have different priorities but we would expect Sony or any other brand to design cameras for a wide photographer demographic.

So the Sony a6xxx cameras have been a bit frustrating even though I like the small size and lighter weight. The response time by a camera to a photographer’s use is one thing that Sony seems to not understand, unlike Canon and Nikon. Like you (and many others here,) I spent many years using film, always having a camera that was ready at my beck and call. I don’t want to have to wait for a camera to be ready. So I guess I’ll wait for the future.  :D
You asked for experiences and got what I know. If Sony is not fast enough for you fine, if you like the D750 better also fine, no skin off my back. Everybody is free to use the tool that meets their needs.
If you liked the A6000 "wake up time" maybe try the A6300, same sensor and IQ improvements as the A6500 but no IBIS, so it may be fast enough for you.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:54:43 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:10 pm »

You asked for experiences and got what I know. If Sony is not fast enough for you fine, if you like the D750 better also fine, no skin off my back. Everybody is free to use the tool that meets their needs.
If you liked the A6000 "wake up time" maybe try the A6300, same sensor and IQ improvements as the A6500 but no IBIS, so it may be fast enough for you.

Wasn’t trying to be confrontational. Of course you’re right, we all work with what we choose or can. My original query about the Sony FE cameras was an attempt to get more information for a possible brand switch. The reason; at 65 my back is not what it used to be. Peace.

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 03:50:07 pm »

From what I understand Sony's A9, A7riii and new A7iii are all speedy cameras in terms of power up and wake up time. My A7rii is pretty pokey, though.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up